• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    This is true, if there's no spent .22 rounds or duct tape involved, it's not one of Al's jobs. :D

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Former CarQuest guy here. I started out at one of the old Yates autoparts stores. I learned on the books, no computers at that point.

I appreciate the sales guys/gals who know what they are talking about, or they want to learn about cars. I hate the clowns who have no idea. When you find a good "counterman", they are worth the waiting in line to get to them.

:thumbsup:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Former CarQuest guy here. I started out at one of the old Yates autoparts stores. I learned on the books, no computers at that point.

I appreciate the sales guys/gals who know what they are talking about, or they want to learn about cars. I hate the clowns who have no idea. When you find a good "counterman", they are worth the waiting in line to get to them.

very true! Maybe its sociatal but unless you are elderly...I think everyone driving should be at least able to change their wipers, battery, and do a basic tune up...Its sad to see so many people incapable of these tasks:sad20:

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    Wilcam47 what time do you work? I was in there today at about 11:30 and bought an altenator. I'll be back in tomorrow for a belt and a voltage regulator.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Wilcam47 what time do you work? I was in there today at about 11:30 and bought an altenator. I'll be back in tomorrow for a belt and a voltage regulator.

I was prob there..I left for lunch at 1200 and am off today...I'm the short hispanic looking guy:lol2::D I'll be there Sat for sure..

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I have worked part time on weekends only for this company for 4 years. I can assure you that DYI America in the automotive department seem to take short cuts in the work they perform to their cars just to keep them running another day. The best part is you see the same ppl week in week out. Its like they drive junk that constantly needs fixed then they are like this Ford, Chevy, Dodge foreign job are shit. No it's not the car. It's the fact you wrench on your car and are too damn cheap to take it to a reputable shop/mechanic to get resolved. These same ppl can't do the math that by the time you spend 300.00 bucks in guess work, you could have more than likely had it fixed in the first place for 100 bucks cheaper. Please note this is just an example but i am sure you guys get what i am saying. Thanks for your time!!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have worked part time on weekends only for this company for 4 years. I can assure you that DYI America in the automotive department seem to take short cuts in the work they perform to their cars just to keep them running another day. The best part is you see the same ppl week in week out. Its like they drive junk that constantly needs fixed then they are like this Ford, Chevy, Dodge foreign job are shit. No it's not the car. It's the fact you wrench on your car and are too damn cheap to take it to a reputable shop/mechanic to get resolved. These same ppl can't do the math that by the time you spend 300.00 bucks in guess work, you could have more than likely had it fixed in the first place for 100 bucks cheaper. Please note this is just an example but i am sure you guys get what i am saying. Thanks for your time!!

I understand what you are saying...but at the same time people should know the basics of their car and general upkeep/tuneups/preventative maintenance. When people come in and they dont even know how many cylinders the car has or if its a 2.3, 3.0., 5.0. etc or that they cant even change a wiper blade...its real alarming this countries education is not getting better. some dealer stuff is expensive such as brake pad changes etc...

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    So true wilcam47! So true!! Ppl have no clue that simple fluid changes in a vehicle can increase its odds to hit the 300,000 mile mark. Not only that but it seems ppl have this mindset that a car is junk after 100k. Cars are lasting longer. I have a 2001 zx2 daily driver and that baby has 181,000 miles and hasn't missed a beat. Synthetic oils, synthetic tranny fluid, spark plugs, wires, coil packs, and coolant replacement every two years makes all the difference. Fix things when the check engine light comes on as well. Ignoring it only sets off more sensors. I will never forget one guy had a with a Ford Windstar van came in on a Saturday like two years ago. He told me he drove the vehicle with the engine light on for a year. I scanned the computer and boom, 34 codes. One issue alarmed the other codes. As stated, that light pops on get the car fixed. This is why buying a used car is so damn risky.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Smart For-Two's are comical with their 660cc 'engine', even on glass-smooth concrete in MB's shop I couldn't get it to spin them massive 13 inch wheels.

FR8TRN

Jan 28, 2010
    Clermont, FL
    Geo Metro ('89 or '90) had a 3cyl...been around for years.

Audi was running 5cyl engines in the mid-80's, MB had em in the mid-70's but diesel.

I remember seeing the Ford V4 engines when I was stationed in Germany......tiny little things....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom