• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanmax

Apr 3, 2008
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I have recently received approval from the ATF for an AR-15 SBR. I understand the 29" OAL rule but have a few questions.

1. Does a 10.5" barrel chambered in 5.56 need to be marked, or advertised, as HBAR? Can't say I've ever seen one marked as such.
    2. Can I change out the upper to other calibers, say 300Blackout or .22LR, without filing additional paperwork with the ATF? Keeping it over 29" of course.
    3. Can I install a verticle forgrip on a SBR that is 29" OAL

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    1. No

2. Yes, you may add as many uppers you want as long as you keep the original caliber. If you decide you want to permanently change the caliber, I believe you are supposed to notify ATF of the permanent change.

3. Yes

1. No

2. Yes, you may add as many uppers you want as long as you keep the original caliber. If you decide you want to permanently change the caliber, I believe you are supposed to notify ATF of the permanent change.

3. Yes
    My AR SBR was built as a 5.56mm. It has had a .300AAC upper on it since a week or two after getting the stamp. I now have an 8.5" 5.56 upper that does absolutely nothing, but I have to keep it in order to remain legal.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My AR SBR was built as a 5.56mm. It has had a .300AAC upper on it since a week or two after getting the stamp. I now have an 8.5" 5.56 upper that does absolutely nothing, but I have to keep it in order to remain legal.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Can you put more than one caliber on the form as long as you are not using the word ‘multiple’?
    As far as I know, there is no need to. Unless the law has changed, you can put any upper on your SBR you like, even a shorter than 29"(OAL) rim fire. As long as you can readily return it to its registered caliber, you are GTG.

Dd you know, if you put an over 16" upper on an SBR, it ceases being an SBR for the duration of the new coupling? :)

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    As far as I know, there is no need to. Unless the law has changed, you can put any upper on your SBR you like, even a shorter than 29"(OAL) rim fire. As long as you can readily return it to its registered caliber, you are GTG.

Dd you know, if you put an over 16" upper on an SBR, it ceases being an SBR for the duration of the new coupling? :)
    That's good if it's not needed. But that 2nd thing I did not know. Sounds like one would then have to put on a heavy barrel if it's 5.56 or 5.56 AR.

My Uzi clone has 3 calibers marked on the upper part and the Form 4 has the same on it. Made me wonder about the discussion above.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's good if it's not needed. But that 2nd thing I did not know. Sounds like one would then have to put on a heavy barrel if it's 5.56 or 5.56 AR.

My Uzi clone has 3 calibers marked on the upper part and the Form 4 has the same on it. Made me wonder about the discussion above.
    On the Hbar part, I'm not sure, but logic would dictate, if the SBR was built before the 2013 ban, it would not have to have a heavy barrel. The build date of an SBR marks its birth date, and thereby have to adhere to the laws of that era.

I'm not clear on the "multi" discussion. To my shady recollection, form1s for AR lowers(for example), though marked "multi" still required a registered caliber. It's been some time since I did one though, so...

DocPeanut

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2010
    I'm not clear on the "multi" discussion. To my shady recollection, form1s for AR lowers(for example), though marked "multi" still required a registered caliber. It's been some time since I did one though, so...

That is correct, they ask for the caliber on a form 1 multi cal lower

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I have it on good authority that the ATF will not charge you if you change from 5.56 to another caliber... They much rather you not use bullets that explode inside of people... Now if you change from another caliber to 5.56, then your f_cked!

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I keep an SBA4 brace on one of my SBR lowers. Tax stamp was registered with a 12.5" 350 Legend upper, but keeping a brace on it keeps it MD legal with my 8.5" uppers, which don't make 29" with any reasonable length stock.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    On the Hbar part, I'm not sure, but logic would dictate, if the SBR was built before the 2013 ban, it would not have to have a heavy barrel. The build date of an SBR marks its birth date, and thereby have to adhere to the laws of that era.

That's me thinking ahead since I don't have any SBRs. It would be from now until later laws.

Seems like the Group Industries/Vector guys built the Uzi Clones under the older laws. That was sort of a selling point or something pointed out to me when I was checking it out before buying. "These guys made these for 3 different calibers..." (9mm, 45 acp and 22lr)

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    That's me thinking ahead since I don't have any SBRs. It would be from now until later laws.

Seems like the Group Industries/Vector guys built the Uzi Clones under the older laws. That was sort of a selling point or something pointed out to me when I was checking it out before buying. "These guys made these for 3 different calibers..." (9mm, 45 acp and 22lr)
    Uzi’s are pistols, I believe. They shouldn’t fall under SBR’s, as far as I know. Check the State Police website, to see if that particular model is on the MD State Police Handgun registry.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have it on good authority that the ATF will not charge you if you change from 5.56 to another caliber... They much rather you not use bullets that explode inside of people... Now if you change from another caliber to 5.56, then your f_cked!
    Why is that(the f_cked part)?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Assuming that the 16 inch bbl puts it over 26 in OAL .

( Yeah I know , Maryland. But some of have Grandfathered SBR , or might be swapping uppers while out of state . )

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Uzi’s are pistols, I believe. They shouldn’t fall under SBR’s, as far as I know. Check the State Police website, to see if that particular model is on the MD State Police Handgun registry.
    Plus, since we are talking about a select fire NFA item(I assume), SBR regs do not apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom