• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    I had the ambidextrous LWRC shipped to Engage Armament and bought the upper parts myself then brought them to Engage Armament to be assembled after my lower got out if it's seven day jail. So I don't have the rifle just yet.

The upper is left handed Stag Arms stripped upper receiver with their upper part kit, Stag Arms left handed bolt carrier which is nickel boron that I got good deal on but sounds like that might be mistake? Free floating M-lock handguard from BCM, gas block from badger ordnance, mil spec alum. ambidextrous charging handle, ballistic advantage 16" HBAR 5.56 1:7 twist barrel mid length gas, and some generic mid length stainless gas tube, and surefire socom 3 prong muzzle brake. So hopefully I did alright with my first AR build.

Right now, I only bought troy industries flip up iron sights. I don't know about whether to put a lpvo or red dot on it. Advice is everywhere regarding those two types. Plus I am really concerned how heavy this rifle will be with HBAR??? So I may just use the iron sights for now.

Next step is to figured out which mags to use so I'll try some different mags to see what the rifle prefers. I have some SS ACS mags on order and will pick a couple p-mags when I pick up the assembled rifle. Once the rifle tells me which mags it likes, I'll stock up on them.

After that, pick up some spare parts kit as back-up was my thoughts. That's where you guys also help here, lol!

Then I'd prefer to spend some money on getting training with my handgun and this AR 15, I built. So I'm also looking into who offers training classes in the Montgomery and Frederick county area. I figure after I get some more experience I can put a scope and flashlight on it. And probably suppressor too!

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    I had the ambidextrous LWRC shipped to Engage Armament and bought the upper parts myself then brought them to Engage Armament to be assembled after my lower got out if it's seven day jail. So I don't have the rifle just yet.

The upper is left handed Stag Arms stripped upper receiver with their upper part kit, Stag Arms left handed bolt carrier which is nickel boron that I got good deal on but sounds like that might be mistake? Free floating M-lock handguard from BCM, gas block from badger ordnance, mil spec alum. ambidextrous charging handle, ballistic advantage 16" HBAR 5.56 1:7 twist barrel mid length gas, and some generic mid length stainless gas tube, and surefire socom 3 prong muzzle brake. So hopefully I did alright with my first AR build.

Right now, I only bought troy industries flip up iron sights. I don't know about whether to put a lpvo or red dot on it. Advice is everywhere regarding those two types. Plus I am really concerned how heavy this rifle will be with HBAR??? So I may just use the iron sights for now.

Next step is to figured out which mags to use so I'll try some different mags to see what the rifle prefers. I have some SS ACS mags on order and will pick a couple p-mags when I pick up the assembled rifle. Once the rifle tells me which mags it likes, I'll stock up on them.

After that, pick up some spare parts kit as back-up was my thoughts. That's where you guys also help here, lol!

Then I'd prefer to spend some money on getting training with my handgun and this AR 15, I built. So I'm also looking into who offers training classes in the Montgomery and Frederick county area. I figure after I get some more experience I can put a scope and flashlight on it. And probably suppressor too!
    The build sounds fine.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Pmags for 5.56 and either 300blk specific pmags or 300 blk specific lancers for 300blk. The 300blk pmags have a little 300 blk rubber bandy thing on them to highlight the fact they're not 5.56. 25 rnd asc mags for the 6.5 grendel. Things get weird when you have ar's chambered in different things, so I like using completely separate mags for each type.

I've also had really good luck out of the 40 round pmags for my 5.56 guns. They run reliably in my guns and give a pretty sizeable boost in capacity for the little extra space they take up.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Magpul Gen 3 windowless Pmags are the best mags for the $, I think. The Gen 2’s will also work well and you’ll save a few bucks.

Okay Industries also makes good cheap mags.

I like Lancer mags, but I see no reason to spend more for them, tacticool aside.

My opinion - just buy Pmags and be done with it.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I’ve experienced some awful GI mags - they might be ok when new, but the last several trips to the qualifying range I’ve seen some feed issues due to bad mags. To be fair, they were quite worn - who knows how long they’d been in service or how many loadings and rounds they’d seen.

I’ve had great luck with PMags, but with fairly limited use. I also have some metal mags that are ok but PMags are my go-to for my uses.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have started a switch to hexmags for 300blk just because they feel different than the p-mags and if you didn't know better you almost think they are p-mags.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm just here for the entertainment at this point.
    That's because you already stated what the real deal is - different guns prefer different magazines, and there isn't one "best" because of that, although I'm curious to get my nephew's take on it. As a special forces combat veteran who has fired more rounds in combat conditions than almost anyone I know, he probably has a preference that's based on real-world application and isn't based on what works "best" to fire 100 rounds or so at the range.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That's because you already stated what the real deal is - different guns prefer different magazines, and there isn't one "best" because of that, although I'm curious to get my nephew's take on it. As a special forces combat veteran who has fired more rounds in combat conditions than almost anyone I know, he probably has a preference that's based on real-world application and isn't based on what works "best" to fire 100 rounds or so at the range.
    I fire weapons daily for testing and do T&E for some very large firearm manufacturers.

Regardless of what people think, the TDP specs on military issued AR pattern rifles are very consistent. There are only a few types of authorized mags and a handful of issued loads that can be used in a M4/M16. There are much, much fewer failure variables than the civilian side will see. Asking a military armorer or service member about the commercial AR market is not going to give you accurate information unless they work on civilian weapons as a secondary job or hobby.

That level of consistency on a military issued AR pattern rifle does not exist in most of the civilian AR market. There are 30+ manufacturers of magazines on the civilian market, and thousands of ammunition variables. All of these things can and often do lead to problems. Most people don't know what to look for.

Even using steel case ammo in certain magazines can be problematic.

I demonstrate these variables in my classes and show real life examples to my students. I spend 2 hours of every class discussing and demonstrating. I have over 100 types/modes/manufacturers of AR mags.

If people ignore my advice, it's no skin of my back. It does not effect me if someone's AR has problems.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I fire weapons daily for testing and do T&E for some very large firearm manufacturers.

Regardless of what people think, the TDP specs on military issued AR pattern rifles are very consistent. There are only a few types of authorized mags and a handful of issued loads that can be used in a M4/M16. There are much, much fewer failure variables than the civilian side will see. Asking a military armorer or service member about the commercial AR market is not going to give you accurate information unless they work on civilian weapons as a secondary job or hobby.

That level of consistency on a military issued AR pattern rifle does not exist in most of the civilian AR market. There are 30+ manufacturers of magazines on the civilian market, and thousands of ammunition variables. All of these things can and often do lead to problems. Most people don't know what to look for.

Even using steel case ammo in certain magazines can be problematic.

I demonstrate these variables in my classes and show real life examples to my students. I spend 2 hours of every class discussing and demonstrating. I have over 100 types/modes/manufacturers of AR mags.

If people ignore my advice, it's no skin of my back. It does not effect me if someone's AR has problems.
    That's fair, but he's still going to have a perspective that you probably don't have, and being special forces, pretty much nothing was off the table for them - they didn't get issued Colt M4s - all of their weapons were custom builds, built to what they wanted - all top-shelf stuff, with optics of their choosing, Geissele triggers, Daniel Defense uppers, etc.

On a side note, you might consider removing all of that stuff from your signature block. Pretty much everyone here on the board knows you have a big dick - no need to list all the reasons why.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Hmmm.....

Attachments

• bill-hader-eating-popcorn.gif
      bill-hader-eating-popcorn.gif
      1.7 MB · Views: 43

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Personally, for 5.56 I just use plain gen 2 pmags, have been mil-spec and OE for a lot of ARs. I don't mark them, rotate them or anything, if they get damaged or worn, I replace them, and keep maybe 20 in use at any time for matches, tac-classes and range use. I go in on a case with a buddy or two if I need more, works out to about $8 each, and have a few boxes of new mags when I need them. They drop free and run fine in all my stuff. Most issues I have seen with ARs that won't run a good G2/3 PMAG is an out of spec magwell from a cheap receiver, or with a coating that makes it out of spec.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That's fair, but he's still going to have a perspective that you probably don't have, and being special forces, pretty much nothing was off the table for them - they didn't get issued Colt M4s - all of their weapons were custom builds, built to what they wanted - all top-shelf stuff, with optics of their choosing, Geissele triggers, Daniel Defense uppers, etc.

On a side note, you might consider removing all of that stuff from your signature block. Pretty much everyone here on the board knows you have a big dick - no need to list all the reasons why.
    I should have expected a reply like this.

I ignored my gut and tried to offer insight. Lesson learned on my part. I'll avoid future conversations with you.

Best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom