• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Hi Guys!

Having my first AR-15 5.56 being built. What AR-15 magazines would you recommend trying? Should one go aluminum or polymer/plastic? Thank you for your help/input!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Lots of good options. Below are some of my OPINIONS based on mags I have used and liked. Please take them as such.

Top shelf: HK steel

What I use most: Lancer (steel and plastic hybrid), C Products (aluminum), Brownells (aluminum)

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Magpul Pmags just work. I’ve been running them since they came out and never had an issue.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Chad is correct while most lowers will work with most of the commonly available some times the tolerances can be to small side of magwell and to the large size of the spec for the mag, that is called a tolerance stack, everything is in spec but there will be fitment issues. If its someone local building a gun for you see if they will let try various mags they may have laying around. Worst case you only find one that will seat and fall when empty and you have to use that. But definitely try you USGI, Lancer, Mag-Pul and any other popular readily available ones. In all likelihood you should be fine with the most common but there is still a chance.

What do you know about the build you are getting?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I would START by buying Magpul gen 3 Pmags.

Cheap, reliable and the will very probably work.

IF they don't, then look at other mags.

Chad (clandestine) is correct (as usual) about AR stuff, not all mags work in all guns. That said, there is no need to get a. bunch of different mags up front to solve a. problem that may not exist

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    THIS! Even the military has made P-Mags standard equipment or is in the process of doing so.
    This. Most like PMAGs. A variety is nice just in case.

But as for polymer of metal, polymer. At least nice ones like PMAGs.

A reason the military switched.

ANY metal magazines can get bent feed lips from dropping them, bashing them, etc. Polymer, nope. Sure, the polymer CAN break or wear out. But it won't stretch over time. It won't bend from getting bashed, etc. It won't dent on the side from being dropped on something and hang up the follower.

PMAGs can break. It takes a LOT to break a PMAG. Dropping one loaded 5 feet on to concrete is very unlikely to break one.

That doesn't mean metal magazines are fragile, but they ARE more susceptible to damage and wear and tear. Plus they are also heavier. Especially steel ones. Aluminum ones are about the same weight as a PMAG, but they are much more susceptible to damage than steel or PMAGs.

Not all polymer magazines are equal and some are crap. A lot of good manufacturers out there, but PMAGs are cheap enough, common enough, and extremely robust they are certainly the go to option. So long as it works in your AR (which is probably like a 99% chance).

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    I would START by buying Magpul gen 3 Pmags.

Cheap, reliable and the will very probably work.

IF they don't, then look at other mags.

Chad (clandestine) is correct (as usual) about AR stuff, not all mags work in all guns. That said, there is no need to get a. bunch of different mags up front to solve a. problem that may not exist
    On that note, I have never found a GI mag that didn't work in all my guns(as long as the follower issues were corrected). I have also found that Magpul gen 2 are also extremely reliable, even in my 300 Blk.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Thanks, guys! I'm southpaw so wanted a left-handed upper and the lower to be as ambidextrous as possible. I found LWRC complete lower that is fully ambidextrous, and bought individual parts for the upper (hopefully I bought quality parts and everything is compatible) and having Engage Armament in Rockville putting it together for me. When I pick it up, I'll see if they have some Pmags for purchase.

I have a bunch of once-fire LC brass, Hornady 55 gr sp w/ cannelure bullets to load for it!

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    On that note, I have never found a GI mag that didn't work in all my guns(as long as the follower issues were corrected). I have also found that Magpul gen 2 are also extremely reliable, even in my 300 Blk.

I found the gen2 to be reliable, but didn't drop free in some lowers like doublestar and Delton.

Never tried one in an LWRC, which the OP says he has.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    This may be stupid thinking on my part, but I was thinking about getting replacement parts for my AR but not sure what I should/need to get?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I found the gen2 to be reliable, but didn't drop free in some lowers like doublestar and Delton.

Never tried one in an LWRC, which the OP says he has.
    LWRC lowers are pretty good about mags, I have never owned one but my in-laws had a neighbor that was an LWRC fanboi that bought every rifle they offered and the times he I went to the range they never had issues with P-Mags.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    This may be stupid thinking on my part, but I was thinking about getting replacement parts for my AR but not sure what I should/need to get?
    Really just buy a lower parts kit, it will have most of the things you would need to replace. With your rifle being an LWRC the only proprietary parts will be related to the piston system. And maybe some set screws that were used in lieu of pins. LWRC may even have a parts kit for their rifles, it may be a little more expensive than standard kits but it should be tailored towards their rifles.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    edit: misunderstood.

Springs. Maybe a spare BCG. Gas rings

It is my understanding that you don't have the rifle yet. Have you decided on optics?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    edit: misunderstood.

Springs. Maybe a spare BCG. Gas rings

It is my understanding that you don't have the rifle yet. Have you decided on optics?
    He will definitely need the left handed screwdriver...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom