• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    That's fair, but he's still going to have a perspective that you probably don't have, and being special forces, pretty much nothing was off the table for them - they didn't get issued Colt M4s - all of their weapons were custom builds, built to what they wanted - all top-shelf stuff, with optics of their choosing, Geissele triggers, Daniel Defense uppers, etc.

On a side note, you might consider removing all of that stuff from your signature block. Pretty much everyone here on the board knows you have a big dick - no need to list all the reasons why.
    So, to plays devils advocate here... I only know of two "special forces" individuals first hand. One is my neighbors cousin on the SEAL teams and the other is my wife's best friends brother, who was an Army Ranger sniper. Despite being more proficient than all of us combined, I was surprised in talking with them how little they actually knew about specific brands, even of some of the expensive stuff they used on the daily. I even helped create a parts list for a Mk18 build for my neighbors cousin, so I spent considerable time going back and forth with him on parts, etc. I don't think if I asked either of them which magazines to use, that they would have been able to offer any real advice other than the few brands they were approved to use in combat.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So, to plays devils advocate here... I only know of two "special forces" individuals first hand. One is my neighbors cousin on the SEAL teams and the other is my wife's best friends brother, who was an Army Ranger sniper. Despite being more proficient than all of us combined, I was surprised in talking with them how little they actually knew about specific brands, even of some of the expensive stuff they used on the daily. I even helped create a parts list for a Mk18 build for my neighbors cousin, so I spent considerable time going back and forth with him on parts, etc. I don't think if I asked either of them which magazines to use, that they would have been able to offer any real advice other than the few brands they were approved to use in combat.
    That's not my nephew - he's fully aware of what his gear was, and specifically why he had a preference of one thing over another. I've known musicians who were like that, and in particular amateur drummers - they have no clue what they're using:

Me - "What cymbals do you use?"

Them - "I use Zildjians!"

Me - "Ok - which Zildjians? A's? A Customs? K's? K Customs?"

Them - "????"

Past the brand name, they know very few specifics about their gear.

On the flip side, my nephew and I are cut from similar cloth - we both like to know and understand what equipment we're using and why.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I should have expected a reply like this.

I ignored my gut and tried to offer insight. Lesson learned on my part. I'll avoid future conversations with you.

Best of luck
    To the contrary - I take what you say here regarding the AR platform pretty much as Gospel. My only thought was that my nephew, having experienced more combat than most and truly pushing equipment to its utmost, may have some additional perspective that a non-combatant wouldn't.

And your signature block still takes up more room than most peoples' posts - we know you're qualified - there's no real need to prove it to us.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    That's fair, but he's still going to have a perspective that you probably don't have, and being special forces, pretty much nothing was off the table for them - they didn't get issued Colt M4s - all of their weapons were custom builds, built to what they wanted - all top-shelf stuff, with optics of their choosing, Geissele triggers, Daniel Defense uppers, etc.

On a side note, you might consider removing all of that stuff from your signature block. Pretty much everyone here on the board knows you have a big dick - no need to list all the reasons why.
    :lol:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I talked to my nephew last night - the one who is a combat veteran in special forces.

PMags. By choice. They bought them by the case and they could have had whatever they wanted.

He specifically likes the windowless Gen 2s.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Magazine choice can change based off of the ammunition selection.

For instance, using the wrong mags with 855A1 will destroy the ramps and lead to malfunctions.

The gas system can also change what magazines work best.

19smiller

Nov 11, 2021
    Pmags and Milsurp are all I use anymore. Tinkered with others here and there, but I haven’t found anything better for me and they can usually be had for under $10 if you look hard enough.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    PMags and sometimes Lancers. I like the gen 3 pmags vs gen 2, I like to keep mags loaded and like the dust covers and they way they relieve the pressure on the feed lips during storage, and the extra front and back texture is nice, especially with gloves. The wider baseplate on the gen 2 does make for a better purchase when pulling from a mag carrier though.

I have steel and Aluminum of the major brands, Pmags and Lancers, and I have never had any magazine issues with any of my compatible platforms, with any ammo including steel case.

Of course the LWRCi gets the hardest use, in fact I have tortured it, and it refuses to skip a single beat.

I have heard some high end lowers have trouble with gen3 pmags due to the over-insertion protection tab, but that they are more reliable with non AR platforms like the SCAR.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    update: picked up my completed AR-15 from Engage Armament. They had 10-round pmag gen 3 but they were $20 which I thought was high, so I passed. Perhaps I can find them cheaper online even if I include s/h.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    My ASC steel magazines came in yesterday. They drop freely from mag well which is good thing.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My nephew was here visiting this weekend and I showed this thread to him. He kind of chuckled and shook his head.

During his time in special forces, the only mags they used were PMags. His contention was that they were fantastic, but if they broke, the solution was simple - throw it out and replace it; they aren't that expensive. He could not recall a single time in combat where he had a malfunction, and he couldn't recall a single time that one broke at an inopportune time. During training, sure - they fire thousands and thousands of rounds. They wore out equipment from sheer use. He shot so much during the 10 years he spent as a full-time operator that he almost got sick of doing it.

He further contended that most hobbyist shooters would never use their PMags enough to wear them to the point of breaking.

That kind of endorsement is enough for me - I'll use PMags from here on out.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    My nephew was here visiting this weekend and I showed this thread to him. He kind of chuckled and shook his head.

During his time in special forces, the only mags they used were PMags. His contention was that they were fantastic, but if they broke, the solution was simple - throw it out and replace it; they aren't that expensive. He could not recall a single time in combat where he had a malfunction, and he couldn't recall a single time that one broke at an inopportune time. During training, sure - they fire thousands and thousands of rounds. They wore out equipment from sheer use. He shot so much during the 10 years he spent as a full-time operator that he almost got sick of doing it.

He further contended that most hobbyist shooters would never use their PMags enough to wear them to the point of breaking.

That kind of endorsement is enough for me - I'll use PMags from here on out.
    I am sure some hobbyists forget the dust cover on loaded P-mags and had some failures.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I'm a big fan of the Daniel Defense mags - I currently have three, and may buy some more online before I move to MD (since I rarely see them at stores in VA). I think they're quite underrated, though they're also pricey.

I also have quite a few PMAGs (all GenM3s), some Lancer mags, some TangoDown MK2 ArcMags, and a Surefire MAG5-60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom