• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Hey Apone, first time poster. I read your thread on AR-15 builds, I noticed when you spoke of upper receiver assy's. You didn't mention Spikes, what is your opinion on Spikes uppers for a newb in the AR-15 world.

Apone wrote that post 4 years ago and hasn't been active here in 9 months.

Spikes is good, but for what they are asking now a days you can almost get a Colt. Palmetto State Armory is the golden child of good builds on the cheap. They have great sales from time to time and should have a great Black Friday sale (no one knows what it will be yet, but it will either include a complete upper minus BCG and rear sight, or a full lower build kit).

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Starting to look for parts and my favorite LGS carries a small selection. That is, they have the Daniels kits for each of your main groups - lower parts, upper parts, barrels, etc. Also standard (M4 milspec, far as I can remember from a quick browse) Magpul for most of the furnishings - stock, handguards, etc.

How does the Daniels LPK, especially, rate against some of the others? Buffer, spring, etc I'm not too worried about (milspec is pretty much milspec, si?) but the trigger is one thing I do want better than average.

I don't need a competition trigger, but something smoother and a little lighter than M16 armory-class would be nice. If I can get decent stuff from LGS I want to, I've spent too much money out of state over the past year as it is...

Anyway, no rush. Just collecting info...

The DD LPK trigger is known for being very close to something from the armory when new. The rest of the parts are top notch and that is a sought after kit.

I don't think that for the money there is a kit I rather have (although once battle arms development releases their kit I'll be singing a new tune).

Try it and if you don't like it, get an ALG for $45.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I just shot a friend's DD last weekend. The trigger was the worst I've ever touched. Even the stock FAL is better and you can hear the springs and stuff sliding & sticking in that! He had never noticed but once we got back to his house and played w/ another spare lower he has w/ one of those $40 geissele tuned triggers his jaw hit the floor. We immediately swapped that into the DD and he'll be getting another from joebob's. I've created another trigger whore and he hasn't even played w my geissele ssae yet;)

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    So where is that class for noobs building an AR15 from a kit?

Traveling new ground here.

TimG

Aug 14, 2012
    Hafer's Gunsmithing just posted one. Look under the Industry Partners section (IP) for Hafer's

Rouser

Proud Eastern Shoreman
    Jul 27, 2012
    Wicomico & Talbot Cos.
    Any opinions on completed Adcor lowers and uppers?

I have an Adcore Defense BEAR Elite rifle and I love it!! It is well engineered and smooth operations. Maintenance is easy and its operations are convenient for the shooter. I love the non-reciprocal forward charging handle. Everyone that has either held it or shot it really like it. The only thing I can say to the negative is the cost. It is on the expensive end of the spectrum but not a bad as a LWRC unit. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the lower unit and I have seen reviews that were done on rifles with a generic lower unit with the Adcore upper attached and those reviews were very favorable as well.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Not to derail the thread but what "brought you around" to moving away from pistons?

In a nutshell, running a few thousand rounds thru one. :)

The Cons -

*Proprietary parts. Your SOL if the maker goes **** up or stops making the parts and you need them. BCG's are one-piece, in some designs.

*The weight. They do add a noticeable amount of weight to the front end of the rifle. Throws off the balance IMO.

*Get a whole new set of issues to deal with. Carrier tilt, it is real, and it is a problem for the majority of piston uppers. Some do better than others in managing it, but it's still an issue.

*Lack of uniformity. One of the big selling points of the AR is parts commonality, you throw that out the window with a piston gun, since everyone uses a slightly diff't design.

Yeah, the chamber stays a little bit cleaner and cooler. And I did manage to shoot my old piston upper when it was submerged w/out it blowing up, but aside from that I just didn't see enough benefit to the design to contine running it.

So I sold it, went back to D.I., maybe one day pistons will be the dominant system for the AR, but not just yet. IMO.

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    Thanks for the info on the Adcor. I am seriously looking at them and the only real issue throwing me off at this time is the price. I'm looking for something with a 16-18" barrel for long range shooting. I have another lower that I was looking at maybe making an SBR for fun fast range plinking. If I ever get into competition shooting I would prefer long range target sniping. Yeah, I know the longer range larger caliber is needed.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    Anyone know of a good deal on quality bolt assembly?
    Best I'm finding now is a dpms unit at brownells for 45.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    You missed the part where it said "good deal".
    Cheapest was stag and that was the same price as Brownells.
    Guess that's what I'll have to pay.
    Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You missed the part where it said "good deal".
    Cheapest was stag and that was the same price as Brownells.
    Guess that's what I'll have to pay.
    Thanks

But I didn't miss the 'quality' part. ;)

If you can find a HPT/MPI 158C or 9130 bolt for less, than that is a damn good deal.

There's a reason some shyt is that cheap, and why other items cost what they do - and it isn't because of the brand name.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom