• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Thanks for the link. Really helped last night

I used the same video. The CMMG parts kit went together without issue on a sweet billet lower from Engage Armament. I tried the clevis pin trick from ARFCOM on the front pivot pin and it made installing the detent and spring a snap. (no launched detents). I used the stock grip while I await my stock/buffer tube and grip from PSA. I'll probably slap my dedicated .22 CMMG upper on it since it shares a lower right now. Makes for a seriously expensive .22 plinker:)

Elite84

Oct 29, 2008
    I put in a psa lpk and ran in to a annoying issue. When i pull the trigger the hammer travels rearward and taps the disconnector before going forward making a extra click before firing. None of my other rifles does this, i know i can remove some metal to reduce the the rearward travel but where? On the happer contact point or the trigger?

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    Really informative sticky

I will refer to it when I build upon the lower that I purchased from or IP friends over at A1 Uniforms. I may order one more lower next week.

Zibner

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington Park Md
    Anyone have experience with SSA surplus Ammo & Arms complete uppers? Was looking at getting the "Surplus Ammo & Arms M4 16" Complete AR-15 Upper Receiver Assembly with Free Floated Handguard - 5.56 NATO" to go with my spikes lower. Not sure what free floating hand guard is.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Fluted:

flb.jpg

Threaded (for suppressor, etc):

tb.jpg

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    Coo, so which one would you prefer? I'm tryin to find me a nice upper. It's going on a polymer lower so I want something just right for it.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    PSA has this for $399:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...-with-ar-15-8620-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

It has a 1 in 9 twist and the 8620 bolt which some feel is less desirablethan a 1 in 7 twist and a 158 Carpenter bolt.

I went with this when it was on sale for $399 and included the bolt carrier group and charging handle:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Added to my $140 complete poly lower from JoeBob and a $40 magpul rear BUIS and I had a complete rifle for under $600.

Zibner

Aug 15, 2013
    Lexington Park Md
    PSA has this for $399:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...-with-ar-15-8620-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

It has a 1 in 9 twist and the 8620 bolt which some feel is less desirablethan a 1 in 7 twist and a 158 Carpenter bolt.

I went with this when it was on sale for $399 and included the bolt carrier group and charging handle:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Added to my $140 complete poly lower from JoeBob and a $40 magpul rear BUIS and I had a complete rifle for under $600.

I thought the M4 didn't have a fixed forward sight? :innocent0

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    No. You can buy online and have shipped to your doorstep, or cash and carry from the local IPs

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Love this thread - it answered almost all of the questions I'm coming up with about building out a lower into an AR. I've got one that I just squeaked in under the deadline with, so the project for the next year or so will be to pick up a piece here, a piece there...

I want to build out an M-4 style carbine, basically, but I'd like to go more old-school on the upper receiver: I like iron sights.

So since the standard for an M-4 upper is flattop, for mounting optics (that's right, isn't it? I was an M16A1, then A2, shooter, so this is all new to me), what are some recommendations for an upper with standard old front post/rear peep (A2-style) sights?

No hurry to buy anything, just collecting info right now.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    Love this thread - it answered almost all of the questions I'm coming up with about building out a lower into an AR. I've got one that I just squeaked in under the deadline with, so the project for the next year or so will be to pick up a piece here, a piece there...

I want to build out an M-4 style carbine, basically, but I'd like to go more old-school on the upper receiver: I like iron sights.

So since the standard for an M-4 upper is flattop, for mounting optics (that's right, isn't it? I was an M16A1, then A2, shooter, so this is all new to me), what are some recommendations for an upper with standard old front post/rear peep (A2-style) sights?

No hurry to buy anything, just collecting info right now.

Even if you buy the flattop upper, you can buy the carry handle/rear sight (old-school) to attach to it.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Even if you buy the flattop upper, you can buy the carry handle/rear sight (old-school) to attach to it.

"Carry handle"? Somewhere in the world, my Drill Instructors are quarterdecking the neighbor's dog for that phrase :lol2:

But it makes sense that you can mount the rear sight assembly onto the flat receiver top, I'm glad to get that confirmed. So I can go old school or switch over to the modern world for my old eyeballs.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    As far as DI vs piston goes, I'm not here to argue as to which is better but wanted a clarification. Is there such a thing as a "piston upper receiver"? I know since there isn't a standard to the piston AR15 different companies take slightly different approaches to their kit. Do all kits basically work with standard uppers, while some may require some minor modifications? Or is there such a thing as a piston design upper for the ar 15 platform?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Piston kits are typically meant to be compatible with a standard upper receiver - usually. I don't have experience with EVERY kit out there so there may be one that isn't.

Normally the BCG is slightly modified when compared to a standard D.I. bcg, but aside from that theres not much other mods done.

If your going to go that route, choose wisely. I've been down that rabbit-hole before, won't go back down it again. :)

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    Piston kits are typically meant to be compatible with a standard upper receiver - usually. I don't have experience with EVERY kit out there so there may be one that isn't.

Normally the BCG is slightly modified when compared to a standard D.I. bcg, but aside from that theres not much other mods done.

If your going to go that route, choose wisely. I've been down that rabbit-hole before, won't go back down it again. :)

Do you recommend a particular one? And what do you mean we wont go back down? Were you just unhappy with the specific manufacturer or piston kits in general.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Daniels Defense parts?

Starting to look for parts and my favorite LGS carries a small selection. That is, they have the Daniels kits for each of your main groups - lower parts, upper parts, barrels, etc. Also standard (M4 milspec, far as I can remember from a quick browse) Magpul for most of the furnishings - stock, handguards, etc.

How does the Daniels LPK, especially, rate against some of the others? Buffer, spring, etc I'm not too worried about (milspec is pretty much milspec, si?) but the trigger is one thing I do want better than average.

I don't need a competition trigger, but something smoother and a little lighter than M16 armory-class would be nice. If I can get decent stuff from LGS I want to, I've spent too much money out of state over the past year as it is...

Anyway, no rush. Just collecting info...

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I like the LWRC enhanced fire control group. Buying from them would keep your money in MD, since they're out of Cambridge, MD. Price is less than getting a Geissele (if you feel like going up in price, go Geissele). The pull on the LWRC is the same as a GI trigger, but it's smooth and doesn't have any gritty feel to it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom