• ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Welcome to MD Shooters.

Its possible to qualify with a Marlin 60, but difficult; the Appleseed program is really made for detachable mag rifles.

I would advise you to take your 60 - learn and enjoy. If you don't qualify you can decide how to proceed afterwards, divorce, trade the 60 for something else, hide them under your bed or ... just buy more guns :) !

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    This would be a good way to go

http://appleseedinfo.org/ltr-marlin.html

It comes all set up and ready to go and it also comes with a coupon for attending a free Appleseed event (worth $ 60.00). Just tell the wife it is on sale!!!!!

This rifle can be found for right around 300.00 out the door. PM me for more info if you want. I checked with a IP here and he may have some in stock here soon.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Could I use my M&P 15/22 for one of these events?

Sure can. Here is a picture of my daughter with her Pink Camo 15/22. I would recommend the factory sights that came with it or a scope. I believe there was another one on the line on Saturday that was scoped.

Attachments

• Appleseed1.jpeg
      Appleseed1.jpeg
      59.7 KB · Views: 318

MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    I am interested in attending one of these events - I had only hear a little about it but what I did hear is that you need a semi-auto - So I went out and got a Marlin 60 – hear it was a great informal target rifle –
    Now my problem is – I have 2 Bolt action rifles – CZ 452 Trainer, Savage Mark II, and one semi, the Marlin 60 –
    Will this be a problem? I can’t afford to buy another rifle (my wife would kill me) and advise?
    You will need a semi-auto to keep up once the timed rounds begin, and you'll want to have something upgraded from the factory sights. Tech sights and scopes really are the standard, and you will need a GI-style sling. Contact the host if this is your only obstacle, they can arrange for a loaner.

Last edited:

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Both rifles are capable of getting you to a Rifleman designation, if you're willing to do your part! I've witnessed lots of folks make it with BOTH of those rifles..If all else fails, we'll put a loaner rifle in your hands... Don't let less than perfect gear hold you back from getting on the line.. and don't forget to bring a friend/child/coworker,etc... You won't be disappointed.. :thumbsup:

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Spring has sprung.. Get on the line! Annapolis & Bowie

With Spring just around the corner, one of the main excuses for not attending an Appleseed, is going to be out the window.

So how about it? Time is short and you'd best get those Rifleman skills..

Spots on the line at Annapolis for March AND Drumroll please.. our newest host Berwyn Rod & Gun in Bowie MD!

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=MD&statename=Maryland

Also, see what Luckygunner has to say about Project Appleseed!

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/top-three-lessons-learned-project-appleseed/

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Big News! Marriottsville, May, Sept & Dec!

THREE Project Appleseed events are NOW on the calendar for 2014!

May 17-18th, Sept 13-14th and Dec 6-7th..

Looks like we might actually start be making some headway on getting other folks on board to Save our Nation! Thanks to ALL who've made this happen! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Don't miss YOUR spot on the line, and for the love of God, bring a friend, neighbor, friend or all of the above! We've got a country to save folks! Sign up now to avoid the dreaded "sold out" message! Maryland needs Rifleman! Are you in???

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=MD&statename=Maryland

See YOU on the line! :thumbsup:

BeSwift

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Just a quick bump for this thread. I attended my first Appleseed this past weekend and it will not be my last! What a great program. I thought I was a pretty good shot going into the weekend but I was quickly humbled and realized that I had a lot to learn when it comes to shooting standing, sitting and prone. The instructors were excellent and while I did not earn my Rifleman patch I am well on my way. I will not quit until I achieve my goal.

To anyone thinking about doing an Appleseed course...absolutely do it! Bring your kids, bring your spouse and bring your friends! It is a great program and will with out question improve your shooting skills.

WGS

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Saving our Nation is more likely to be done with people learning to shoot an AR in defensive and combat situations. Learning accuracy first is a good thing no matter what the firearm. But prone and kneeling being useful battle skills pretty much ended when the Germans invented the STG-44 assault rifle. In todays environment a precision shooter can only survive in the battlefield if they can stay outside the effective range of the standard infantry assault rifle, or if they have the same weapon. That is why 800+ yard sniper skills are where the precision shooter has to be in todays warfare. Inside 600 yards today the key skills are movement and concealment. And an effective accurate volume of fire. In semi rapid fire I can put 8 of 10 in the 10 ring at 300 yards using only a 4x scope and some kind of barricade. That is a useful battle skill. And the reason I am going to be shooting the DMR matches at Peacemaker in addition to 3-gun. So once you get good at Appleseed get your AR and immediately sign up for a local NRA National Defense Match. Then you will start learning how to use that accuracy in todays' potential warfare, not what happened in the past. Being able to shoot an AR accurately while lying on your back or shooting wrong side around a barricade is way more useful than prone, kneeling or standing with a sling. But first you need to learn how to shoot accurately and most people don't know what it takes when most of the shooting they see is idiots in some movie blasting away and hitting everything they aim at.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Saving our Nation is more likely to be done with people learning to shoot an AR in defensive and combat situations. Learning accuracy first is a good thing no matter what the firearm. But prone and kneeling being useful battle skills pretty much ended when the Germans invented the STG-44 assault rifle. In todays environment a precision shooter can only survive in the battlefield if they can stay outside the effective range of the standard infantry assault rifle, or if they have the same weapon. That is why 800+ yard sniper skills are where the precision shooter has to be in todays warfare. Inside 600 yards today the key skills are movement and concealment. And an effective accurate volume of fire. In semi rapid fire I can put 8 of 10 in the 10 ring at 300 yards using only a 4x scope and some kind of barricade. That is a useful battle skill. And the reason I am going to be shooting the DMR matches at Peacemaker in addition to 3-gun. So once you get good at Appleseed get your AR and immediately sign up for a local NRA National Defense Match. Then you will start learning how to use that accuracy in todays' potential warfare, not what happened in the past. Being able to shoot an AR accurately while lying on your back or shooting wrong side around a barricade is way more useful than prone, kneeling or standing with a sling. But first you need to learn how to shoot accurately and most people don't know what it takes when most of the shooting they see is idiots in some movie blasting away and hitting everything they aim at.

At Appleseed we teach Rifleman skills and American Heritage. Having Americans with the skills needed to consistently hit their target out to 500 yrds is a pretty good start. I can safely say that 85% of shooters who arrive at our events, can't consistently get 3 hits on target at 100 yrds, prior to training. Actually, we can document that via training upwards of 100k folks Nationwide over the last several years.

As far as Saving our Nation, that involves Americans getting off the couch and becoming involved. We are NOT preparing for war or combat. We are trying to prevent that from ever happening, by getting Americans off the couch to utilize the tools earned in blood by our Forefathers..ballot box, jury box, soap box. That's Saving our Nation IMHO, and that's the message we're trying to impart... BeSwift

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Photoracer

How many AR defensive shoots encourage kids and novices to the sport and culture. In my experiences the AR crowd will shit on you if you dont have the latest and greatest gear. Yes I will call some of them ******* snobs. Being both an instructor and a student and shooter I have seen this.

Now I know you have helped alot of people here and on other forums but shitting on an Appleseed thread isnt what I would call helping the culture.

How many weekends do you spend teaching kids, women and others.

Brian and his crew are top notch. They sacrifice a whole lot of their life to others wanting to learn to shoot and learn American history.

In my opinion you owe Beswift and other Appleseed shooters an apology.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    April 12/13 Project Appleseed AAR

I want to send out a heart felt Thank You to Brian and his crew of dedicated instructors. I really enjoyed my first Apple Seed event and wish I could be there for day two. The instructors are a fine group of very knowledgeable people.

This was my first but definitely not my last Apple Seed shoot. The day started early with sign in at 8:00 am. Brian and his crew brought everyone to the firing line promptly at 8:30 am and went over the range safety brief. They keep it to the point and added several range specific items.

By 9:00 am we were shown a prone position demonstration and assigned to a lane. The first shots were fired at the Red coats and I quickly realized just how challenging this event was going to be. The goal is to put 3 shots into each Read Coat and 1 shot into Morgan's shingle. When I started I was confident I would clean the target on the first try. To say it was a humbling experience is an understatement. I not only failed to clean the target but I failed to hit 3 shots on any target beyond the 100 yard qualification target and I missed Morgan's Shingle.

Now the real lesson begins. Targets are changed and we move on to getting our rifles sighted in. ( I thought my rifle was good to go when I arrived, the first targets showed me how wrong I was.) From the prone position the instructors showed us how to get into a "Perfect" position and they stressed the importance of Natural Point of Aim.

With our rifle sighted in and most of the participants starting to tighten up their groups we move on to other positions. I tried several different seated/kneeling positions but found I was most comfortable and stable in a modified seated position. I need to work on it more to find a way to get my second elbow (Right) down.

Next we moved onto our Standing position and show the importance of anchoring ourselves and the easiest way to adjust elevation.

The history lesson begins. One of the best parts of the day is the history lesson. We learned how and why the Revolutionary War started. I can say that there were several new to me names from history. It was very enlightening.

We took a break for lunch and continued with the history lesson.

After the break we started to learn how to transition from a standing position to prone and seated position safely. The cadre of instructors does a great job keeping a watchful eye on all the participants.

We then took shots from seated/kneeling with a time restriction. The instructions were to shoot until you finished but that the instructors would call time. This allowed everyone to see just how much time they had and many of us (myself included) found we need more but understood we would have less.

After some more transition practice we moved on to our first AQT target. This is the first timed target for score and the first target that would qualify for the RIFLEMAN Patch.

I had high hopes of making my RIFLEMAN qualification on my first try. To say it is challenging would be an understatement. To make RIFLEMAN each participant needs a score of 210 on the AQT target.

My Score was 234!

We then had one target left to shoot. Our second Red Coat target. My scores improved all day but I did't expect to clean the Red Coats.

At the end of the day Brian awarded me with my RIFLEMAN Patch and the Maryland Front Sight Patch. As an added bonus I also hit Morgan's Shingle and am glad to say I won't have to face a bayonet charge.

Brian please pass on my thanks to all of your instructors. As for Berwyn Rod and Gun club, you have a great facility your members should be proud. Thank you for hosting this wonderful event.

For those of you that haven't tried a Project Appleseed event. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? You won't find a better program and for the money it is by far the best bang for the buck. I highly recommend it!

Attachments

• A New Rifleman.jpg
      A New Rifleman.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 217

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Looks like I'll need to get a proper .22 of my own now. :o

View attachment 118962

Mdeng has got me very interested in the Appleseed.

While we didn't shoot a proper event, he allowed me to get a feel for the routine, and I have got to say it's a bit more challenging and enjoyable than I thought it'd be.

Missed clearing the Red Coats by one shot (dropped a 400-yard shot), and scored a 214 on the AQT - although we didn't run the clock, to be fair.

As a left-handed shooter using someone else's rifle, it was a lot of fun and a bit more challenging than expected. Using a sling is a completely foreign concept to me, but the challenge is what's appealing.

Definitely plan on getting into it some more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom