• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Just reviewed the Appleseed site again and there it is plain as day, a 25M zero is recommended. Sorry I should have looked around a but more before I posted the question.

Don't fret the small stuff! :) The important part is to get the zeroed rifle on the line at a Project Appleseed event. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any assistance.

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Last weekend's Appleseed at Anne Arundel Fish & Game met the requirements to qualify as a "Winterseed". Five dedicated Americans braved the elements and two of them shot a Rifleman score and EARNED the coveted Winterseed patch.

Next month's Appleseed may be the last chance this season to earn a Winterseed patch. Come on out on Feb 22-23.

For pics and info, please visit out Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Project-Appleseed-Maryland/264406060313831

For more info or to register, please visit http://www.appleseedusa.org

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    What time do you usually get done on Sunday?

I want to register for the Feb 22-23 Appleseed, but might have a scheduling conflict.

We are usually wrapped up by 3:30-4:00 on Sunday. However, the entire afternoon is usually comprised of multiple attempts at shooting the AQTs for score. Therefore, if you need to leave early on Sunday, it shouldn't be a show stopper. Just let the lead instructor know your intentions up front.

superman2001x

Jul 6, 2013
    howard county
    We are usually wrapped up by 3:30-4:00 on Sunday. However, the entire afternoon is usually comprised of multiple attempts at shooting the AQTs for score. Therefore, if you need to leave early on Sunday, it shouldn't be a show stopper. Just let the lead instructor know your intentions up front.

Sweet! I just registered and I'm hoping to recruit a few friends.

Crossing my fingers for a warm day.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Can someone give me a schedule of events on how the weekend unfolds. I have a 13 yr old daughter that shoots at our local 4H program and would like to bring her to one of the events. I think she would really like it and it would benefit her also. I have been doing some reading on the forum and I see that it is a 22LR event only in Annapolis which is fine. She is shooting a CZ452 rifle with peeps on it for 4H currently. We also have a 10/22 with a scope on it but not much time playing with it. She also has a pink S&W 15/22 with a cheap red dot on it. What would be best out of them?

Sorry for all the questions and I will get back to doing some more reading on it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The 10/22. There are some fairly fast drills that only an athletic expert marksman can complete with a bolt gun.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    The 10/22. There are some fairly fast drills that only an athletic expert marksman can complete with a bolt gun.

Thanks. Those three things you mention leave me out!!!!!!!!! I may have to buy another 10/22 now for my daughter so we both will be set up. Looks like a lot of rain in the forecast for next weekend. How much of it will be in the rain if it does indeed rain? Are you under cover at all? My daughter seems interested but if she finds out it going to be raining all weekend with out being under cover I dont know if I can talk her into it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    A 10-22 seems to be the gold standard for Appleseeds (especially if it has tech sights on it!) I believe they usually have a loaner or 2 on hand for people to use also.

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Can someone give me a schedule of events on how the weekend unfolds. I have a 13 yr old daughter that shoots at our local 4H program and would like to bring her to one of the events. I think she would really like it and it would benefit her also. I have been doing some reading on the forum and I see that it is a 22LR event only in Annapolis which is fine. She is shooting a CZ452 rifle with peeps on it for 4H currently. We also have a 10/22 with a scope on it but not much time playing with it. She also has a pink S&W 15/22 with a cheap red dot on it. What would be best out of them?

Sorry for all the questions and I will get back to doing some more reading on it.

First, thanks for your interest in Project Appleseed and double thanks for facilitating a young person attending. The mantra with the program is that we will make what you have work but do want you to be aware of possible frustrations. As others have mentioned, there are some timed stages that will be difficult completing with a bolt gun. Because of this, a semi-auto is suggested. The Ruger is very well suited for this.

In regard to sights, factory sights usually don't have the ability to adjust to the level of accuracy that is needed. A red dot sight usually has a sight that is larger that the target you are aiming at so they can be problematic. Because of these challenges, we suggest an aftermarket sight (Tech Sights) or a cheap scope. I will provide a link below to a good article on setting up a rifle for Appleseed. That being said, the most important thing is having the both of you attend. We do have limited loaners available. Please PM me if you think you might need one at this event.

In regard to weather, we are fortunate that Anne Arundel Fish & Game is one of our tremendous host ranges. We have an 18 position covered firing line. Additionally, there is a cozy club house for breaks. For the prep area, we try to bring canopies if there is a chance of inclement weather.

Hope to see you on the line!!!! Feel free to contact me with ANY questions or concerns.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/pdf/LTR.pdf

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    FFJim,

I am going to look at another 10/22 tomorrow for my daughter to use. I also ordered the Tech Sights from the RWVA store so I hope they ship out quick. How many slots are available for this coming weekend? I will probably register sometime tomorrow or Tuesday for sure.

Thanks for the info and look forward to it.

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    FFJim,

I am going to look at another 10/22 tomorrow for my daughter to use. I also ordered the Tech Sights from the RWVA store so I hope they ship out quick. How many slots are available for this coming weekend? I will probably register sometime tomorrow or Tuesday for sure.

Thanks for the info and look forward to it.

We have at least 8 spots open. But, we frequently have a lot of last minute sign ups so I encourage registering ASAP. As always, feel free to contact me with any questions or needs.

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Has anyone used this style Ruger 10/22. It looks like the Tech sites would still work on it.

Attachments

• ruger.jpg
      ruger.jpg
      12.4 KB · Views: 258

roady

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Just thought I would give a quick shout out to all the instructors that was at the event in Annapolis this last weekend. Both my 13 yr old daughter and myself attended and had a blast...

The instructors all where first class and always jumping in and helping with anything needed with a wealth of knowledge.

If you are on the fence about doing this now is time to jump off and get signed up no matter what your skill level is. More importantly is to bring someone young with you to introduce to the sport. My daughter had a great time and will be going back for sure.

Hope to see you all out there soon.

happyman4

Aug 1, 2013
    I am interested in attending one of these events - I had only hear a little about it but what I did hear is that you need a semi-auto - So I went out and got a Marlin 60 – hear it was a great informal target rifle –
    Now my problem is – I have 2 Bolt action rifles – CZ 452 Trainer, Savage Mark II, and one semi, the Marlin 60 –
    Will this be a problem? I can’t afford to buy another rifle (my wife would kill me) and advise?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom