• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am curious about how you guys are storing your ammo. I am assuming most of you use steel 50cal and 30cal cans. That's what I use. But what I am not sure about is whether I should take them out of the boxes they came in or not. Does it make a difference if I am labeling the cans? I would think I could get a lot more bullets into the cans if I took them out of the boxes. Someone told me the bullets will have less of a chance of corrosion if they are not in a box but I don't know about that. I would guess a lot of people just leave them in the safe in the box also.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I use ammo cans and label the outside with the caliber, bullet weight, and bullet type (FMJ, JHP, cast, etc…)

I take most of the anmo out of the cardboard boxes before putting it in the ammo can.

I also have a dehumidifier in the room running 24/7.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    You could certainly cram more in unboxed...probably even more if you took the time to stack the loose rounds evenly. But what is your intention for taking it out? If you are just apocalypse stockpiling, efficiency of space may be important. If you want to actually use the ammo, factory boxes may make it easier to transport to the range as well as monitor quantities.

For real SHTF, it probably ought to be on stripper clips.

Personally, if it came in factory boxes, I keep it in them. Loose bulk stays loose and I grab handfuls as needed. Either situation gets a little desiccant pack.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Watching this thread I keep most of my ammo in the house not in the garage.

Wondering if I can use food saver bags and desiccant packs to keep moister out and store in garage.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I think we over think how we store our ammo. Obviously, it shouldn't be wet...
    My dad and I have shot ammo that was older than him, and he wasn't very meticulous about storage. I had some that had problems (I'll try to find the thread later), but it all went off well enough to do its job.

If you are being extra thorough, though, the regular plastic ammo boxes are definitely not airtight.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I keep most of my ammo in the original boxes and on shelves, kind of like how it is sold at stores. This makes it easy to take a few boxes when I go to the range and easy to keep track of the various types I have.

For the corrosion concern, mine is kept inside the house which is always climate controlled and I've never had any issues.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Desiccant is your friend for brass cartridges. Some considerations…

All cardboard, styrofoam and fabric (bandoleers) retain moisture. Foreign ammo has acidic cardboard (Lapua for example). I prep fabric, styro and cardboard such as sleeves/covers for stripper clips and repack boxes for several days before using. 20 grams or so. Probably doesn’t make a difference since it will pick up moisture again when you start packing. Maybe a lower level. I bought a Lineco ph testing pen to test the cardboard. Brass and stripper clips can have an interaction called a galvanic response with different metals (brass cartridges and steel stripper clips or enbloc garand). Moisture is the cause. Blue/black corrosion spots can develop on the brass in the ammo can. You can use the manufacturers cardboard if you don’t want to repack (see how much) check desiccant for color change/replace at first. Blue/pink or green/orange flavors. Haven’t tried the green/orange.

I started out with Interteck color change 10 gram packs. Extreamly fast. Can reuse maybe 3 times. I used these to prep the storage materials for a week also then replace with fresh. You can stay with these.
    Amazon product ASIN B01LZAQPEY
    I was using a lot of Interteck for prepping. But it is really really fast. Again check regularly at first.

I switched to Dry&Dry 20 gram color change packs. ttps://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packets-Indicating-Desiccant-Dehumidifier/dp/B07Q39VZKL/ref=sr_1_5?crid=31GBZPTUZ24PO&dchild=1&keywords=dry+%26+dry+silica+gel+packets+20+gram&qid=1618014425&sprefix=dry+and+dry+silica+gel+packets+20%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-5

How much? Double check my C average arithmetic. YMMV

Stamdard unit = 1oz = 28 grams
    10 grams can cover approx 1500cc for a volume reference. A manufacturer customer support.
    1500 cc apporx 91 cu. inch.
    Fifty cal ammo can 6x7x11.5 = 483 cu. inch empty
    483/91 = 5.3 10 gram packs empty. Industry doesn't consider volume but grams of water at two specific temperatures. I can't measure this.

After the cans and contents have been prepped, I use D&D 20 grams for a 30cal can, 40 grams for a 50 and 60 for a fat 50 for long term. I tape a card to the ammo can for identification and dates opened.

You can use vapor control inhibitor bags (VCI) for bulk ammo. I use Zerust. Good for five years then add a recharger.

If you go with buckets or MTM ammo crates consider VCI bags. My MTM ammo cans are not airtight. The ammo cans are off the cement on 1x2 wood slats.

You don’t want pink, red or green corrosion. Bad stuff.

Last edited:

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    Desiccant is your friend for brass cartridges. Some considerations…

All cardboard, styrofoam and fabric (bandoleers) retain moisture. Foreign ammo has acidic cardboard (Lapua for example). I prep fabric, styro and cardboard such as sleeves/covers for stripper clips and repack boxes for several days before using. 20 grams or so. Probably doesn’t make a difference since it will pick up moisture again when you start packing. Maybe a lower level. I bought a Lineco ph testing pen to test the cardboard. Brass and stripper clips can have an interaction called a galvanic response with different metals (brass and steel stripper clips or enbloc garand). Moisture is the cause. Blue/black corrosion spots can develop on the brass in the ammo can. You can use the manufacturers cardboard if you don’t want to repack (see how much) check for color change/replace at first. Blue/pink or green/orange flavors. Haven’t tried the green/orange.

I started out with Interteck color change 10 gram packs. Extreamly fast. Can reuse maybe 3 times. I used these to prep the storage materials for a week also then replace with fresh. You can stay with these.
    Amazon product ASIN B01LZAQPEY
    I was using a lot of Interteck for prepping. But it is really really fast. Again check regularly at first.

I switched to Dry&Dry 20 gram color change packs. ttps://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packets-Indicating-Desiccant-Dehumidifier/dp/B07Q39VZKL/ref=sr_1_5?crid=31GBZPTUZ24PO&dchild=1&keywords=dry+%26+dry+silica+gel+packets+20+gram&qid=1618014425&sprefix=dry+and+dry+silica+gel+packets+20%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-5

How much? Double check my C average arithmetic. YMMV

Stamdard unit = 1oz = 28 grams
    10 grams can cover approx 1500cc for a volume reference. A manufacturer customer support.
    1500 cc apporx 91 cu. inch.
    Fifty cal ammo can 6x7x11.5 = 483 cu. inch empty
    483/91 = 5.3 10 gram packs empty. Industry doesn't consider volume but grams of water at two specific temperatures. I can't measure this.

After the cans and contents have been prepped, I use D&D 20 grams for a 30cal can, 40 grams for a 50 and 60 for a fat 50 for long term. I tape a card to the ammo can for identification and dates opened.

You can use vapor control inhibitor bags (VCI) for bulk ammo. I use Zerust. Good for five years then add a recharger.

If you go with buckets or MTM ammo crates consider VCI bags. My MTM ammo cans are not airtight. The ammo cans are off the cement on 1x2 wood slats.

You don’t want pink, red or green corrosion. Bad stuff.
    I wonder why online stores that ship loose ammo in cans stuff them with shredded cardboard. I thought it was to help absorb moisture. But, it sounds like I should remove them.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I store bulk ammo in boxes in 50 or 30 cal ammo cans with desiccant and periodically check the moisture indicator to see if the desiccant needs recharged. Pretty standard it sounds like.

A few 50 cal cans have 200 rds of 7.62x39 on stripper clips in the Chinese chest rig, for use in SKS. Mini-30 or VZ58 rifles. Each such can also has a mini cleaning kit (w/o chemicals), a broken shell extractor, gas port cleaning tool, a sight adjustment tool, and a large desiccant pack.

Other cans are loaded with enough loaded magazines for 200+ shots, e.g 7 - 30 rd mags, or 10 - 20 rd mags, along with a mag loader, pull though cleaning kit and a desiccant pack.

All cans are labeled.

My only tip is that it's probably a good idea to not stack them too high to avoid crushing the rubber seal too much. I try not to go more than 4 cans high.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Uline tubs and shelving

Ammo in original packaging - zero corrosion or moisture problems.

Handful of loaded magazines and speed loaders are kept in the safes

IMG_3160.jpeg

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    MTM polymer 30, 50 cal cans and crates. Just depends on the caliber. I generally keep it in the original boxes for most stuff, but some is stored bulks in a can or crate. Reloads go in heavy duty plastic ziplock bags and into ammo cans with a reloading card in the bag.

Some reloads go in small plastic cans from trail mix or hardibacker screws. They are something like 1.5-2 quarts in size. Perfect for a big range trip, about 500 rounds of 9mm fit in one. I keep some common reloads in a few of them. I've got one with 9mm 115gr FMJ/TMJ, one with 147gr subs. Some with 62gr .223 FMJ. And one with 230gr .45acp FMJ. Grab and go to the range.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    A secure space tapped into home HVAC with a digital thermometer that measures Air temp/humidity control , XL golden rod just in case, along with mini desiccant packs in the cans.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    hqdefault.jpg

Like any decent gun owner and 2A supporter I only vacuum seal and desiccant pack mine. Not like this picture though, each round individually. Once opened I put them in the microwave for several seconds to freshen them up...joking...do not put rounds in microwave.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    A selection of .30 and .50 caliber cans that are clearly labeled, topped off with mini desiccant packs, and kept in a climate controlled environment is my preference.

Some of my ammo is 50+ years old, shows no signs of a problem, and still shoots like it always has.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I vacuum seal the stuff intended for storage with a card inside the bag with load info and I mark the outside of bag with a sharpie with same info. It then gets placed in either a 50cal ammo can or a foot locker and I throw in a desiccant packet. Probably overkill but I figure it probably won't be opened again for decades and it's cheap insurance.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I use 20- and 40-foot ISO containers and label the outside with the caliber, bullet weight, and bullet type (FMJ, JHP, cast, etc…)

I take most of the ammo out of the crates and cardboard boxes before putting it in the ammo cans.

I also have a dehumidifier and temperature controls on each container, running 24/7.

:innocent0

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    View attachment 437744
    Like any decent gun owner and 2A supporter I only vacuum seal and desiccant pack mine. Not like this picture though, each round individually. Once opened I put them in the microwave for several seconds to freshen them up...joking...do not put rounds in microwave.
    LOL. Novice. Try that with pointed tip ammo like 223.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I keep my boxed ammo in the boxes they came in, I still have some reloaded ammo I bought in bulk that came in a can so they are the only ammo that's loose.

I store ammo by caliber and with the boxes labeled I know what's plinking ammo and what's hunting ammo then reloads I do are in 100 round MTM plastic containers with in the cans that have boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom