• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    this-guy-o.gif

foodpoison, drop me a PM and we'll work out a meet-up.

just ordered gas port bit, hammer/disconnector springs, barrel pin, 7mm bit, 4mm bit, rivets, and plunger/spring for FSB on the old romanian. gonna try and get as much of it done before the build party as possible so i'm more available to help other folks.

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    May I join the fun? I have a maadi crutch fold kit still in the bag. I thought all it needs is a receiver and barrel. I have a Mig welder I can bring, But I'm not good at using it.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    May I join the fun? I have a maadi crutch fold kit still in the bag. I thought all it needs is a receiver and barrel. I have a Mig welder I can bring, But I'm not good at using it.

Sure. Get a flat/rail kit. Do you have gas for your mig? I have flux core in mine now but can get my bottles filled. I have several stainless "tubs" if anyone has Parkerizing solution.

Marksman

Ok, changing directions now. Was going to use the serialized receiver that I have but think I will save that for a later build and use a blank flat now instead.

So I am getting ready to order a new flat. Should I get one WITH or WITHOUT trunnion holes. Guess it depends on which flat bending die we will be using. According to Ak-Builder.com, "If you are using my new bending die you DO NOT need the alignment holes. The alignment holes are for the outdated bending tools."

So, this one -
    http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29823

or, this one -
    http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29838

I'll be putting together a Romy fixed stock AKM.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    the alignment holes are not the same as trunnion holes. the alignment holes are two tiny little holes in the receiver flat that correspond to alignment dowels in the riveting jig; they ensure the flat is perfectly aligned before bending.

as to which to get? go ahead and get one without trunnion holes. I have the trunnion hole locating jig, and it's a god-send. makes it so that the trunnion holes are GUARANTEED to be in exactly the right spot for your stuff. most of the time the pre-drilled ones are fine, but once in a while you get the oddball trunnion that was made either early in the morning before Dominic started his vodka allotment for the day, or at the very end of the day after he was piss-drunk.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Having read this -Double Hook vs. Single Hook Trigger, I am still unsure.

Opinions? Single or double hook trigger?

6 vice half a dozen. if your receiver is only slotted for a single-hook, you can get a double and grind in a certain spot to "tune" overtravel, but frankly, it's an AK. if you really want a custom/adjustable trigger, just spend the coin for an RSA unit and be done with it. i tend to go single-hook if i'm putting in a G2 because that'll work with either a single-hook or double-hook cut receiver, and if it's only cut for single there's no grinding or drilling or dremeling or other machining to make it fit. ;)

Marksman

6 vice half a dozen. if your receiver is only slotted for a single-hook, you can get a double and grind in a certain spot to "tune" overtravel, but frankly, it's an AK. if you really want a custom/adjustable trigger, just spend the coin for an RSA unit and be done with it. i tend to go single-hook if i'm putting in a G2 because that'll work with either a single-hook or double-hook cut receiver, and if it's only cut for single there's no grinding or drilling or dremeling or other machining to make it fit. ;)

Single it is then! Thanks for the reply.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'm in. I can bring a drill press and some bits. My dad may come along as a spectator. He's curious as to what's involved.

rogue780

Jan 16, 2011
    Dundalk
    Oh, and I've got a buddy coming too. He has a bit more experience than I do so he'll be helping me with some of the assembly where he can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom