• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Anthony Brown should take a look-see at the recovered guns and ammo from the Baltimore City police and he'll see what type of ammo is killing and maiming Marylanders.
    He simply doesn't care. The idea that the word "military" makes things scarier plays well with Anti-2A donors to the Party.

I have a shovel in my garage that's military surplus. I guess I should be afraid of it simply because of its heritage even though it's physically identical, and in some ways even inferior to, commercial shovels I own. Oh, wait, did I accidentally say I own more than one shovel? Uh, oh.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Or just burn it up on full auto, like we did after qual at Ft. Hood, because the CO didn't want to do the paperwork. Pretty sure I destroyed the barrel on that M16.
    Yep. That's called the mad minute. :gun2:

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    They clearly know nothing about ammunition, "military" or otherwise. But they're absolute masters when it comes to wordsmithing, and with identifying which angles to pursue to most effectively spin their position.
    Kinda like the stereotypical used car salesman you see in the movies, in my opinion. They are not trustworthy at all.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I'm guessing that Olin Winchester took into account the ability to use excess capacity at Lake City to make ammo for the civilian market, in case of insufficient military demand, as a factor in its bid to run the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant. So, not cool to try to take that away from them.

We should get the shoulder fired missiles available to the public in order to keep the manufacturers running continuously too.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Lake City ammo plant is a strategic military asset. It is owned by the US Army and operated by contract. I believe at present it is operated by Winchester.

It operates in peace time at a low production level to satisfy the training requirement of the military, to keep the equipment in operating condition, to keep a trained and experienced staff in place and maintain the ability of the US military to quickly ramp up production during time of war. The anti 2A parties have it backard. Lake City doesn't support civilian shooting sports, shooting support Lake City.

Since it is a government asset i suspect if challenged the courts would find that the Government is within its rights to amend the operating contract and prohibit civilian sales. That would most likely mean either shuttering the plant and losing the strategic asset, or pouring the excess product into a very dangerous landfill.

If Lake City is no longer available to the civilian market the price of .223 will rise, and the vacuum will be filled with other manufacturers. Also, th cost to the taxpayer to operate and maintain the plant will go up since that contract alteration would eliminate an offsetting income stream to the Operator.

And, btw, didn't the military just change its main battle rifle from .223 to .227? Perhaps this is a political stunt because the plan all along was to discontinue .223 and replace it with .227.

Also, there i no such thing as military grade ammo. There is just ammo. When I look at my reloading manual I don't see loads for military use and civilian use, I just see saami specs. ( Except M1 Garand :) )

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Also, there i no such thing as military grade ammo. There is just ammo. When I look at my reloading manual I don't see loads for military use and civilian use, I just see saami specs. ( Except M1 Garand :) )
    The term "military grade" is meaningless in DoD contracting-speak or ballistics; it's a made-up term to sound scary. Actually, anyone who has ever worn a green suit knows that the somewhat related term "MIL Spec" means the cheapest sh*t money can buy that just barely meets the contract requirements, requirements which themselves are often flawed.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Lake City ammo plant is a strategic military asset. It is owned by the US Army and operated by contract. I believe at present it is operated by Winchester.

It operates in peace time at a low production level to satisfy the training requirement of the military, to keep the equipment in operating condition, to keep a trained and experienced staff in place and maintain the ability of the US military to quickly ramp up production during time of war. The anti 2A parties have it backard. Lake City doesn't support civilian shooting sports, shooting support Lake City.

Since it is a government asset i suspect if challenged the courts would find that the Government is within its rights to amend the operating contract and prohibit civilian sales. That would most likely mean either shuttering the plant and losing the strategic asset, or pouring the excess product into a very dangerous landfill.

If Lake City is no longer available to the civilian market the price of .223 will rise, and the vacuum will be filled with other manufacturers. Also, th cost to the taxpayer to operate and maintain the plant will go up since that contract alteration would eliminate an offsetting income stream to the Operator.

And, btw, didn't the military just change its main battle rifle from .223 to .227? Perhaps this is a political stunt because the plan all along was to discontinue .223 and replace it with .227.

.277?

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    If governments would stop creating new more efficient ways to kill people, we wouldn't have this problem.

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    That commie is following Mexico.
    The Mexican "2A" states that the people have the right to own guns except those designated for gov't and military use only. Then the gov't declared that anything larger than .38 special is for military and gov't only. And they mandated only one gun store in the entire country.
    The plan worked. Mexico is now controlled by the cartels. Even the "president" is owned by the cartels.
    Biden is letting the cartels and other terrorists invade through the southern border. Their response to locals defending the border is the same as the Mexican gov't when locals take up arms to defend against the cartels.
    Biden is trying to send in federal law enforcement to arrest and disarm locals who dare defend the border when the feds won't do what they are constitutionally mandated to do.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

tomcatfan

Jan 27, 2024
    St. Marys
    The term "military grade" is meaningless in DoD contracting-speak or ballistics; it's a made-up term to sound scary. Actually, anyone who has ever worn a green suit knows that the somewhat related term "MIL Spec" means the cheapest sh*t money can buy that just barely meets the contract requirements, requirements which themselves are often flawed.
    I mean my 80 grain eld, or 77 grain handloads do better than any ammo I've bought. If you think the government loads accurate ammo, find an AMU guy at a match and ask them what they are shooting. It isn't mil-spec ammo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom