• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bicimechanic

Jan 15, 2023
    Harford County
    So I went to make a purchase the other day and to my surprise my 77R came back denied. I've made other purchases over the years with no issues. The last time was just a couple months ago. I went through the website on the "denial" card when I got home to figure out why. It came back saying that basically I was prohibited due to being imprisoned (or sentenced but not serving) at some point. Which again, is a big surprise, because I've never been arrested, jailed, etc. I had a speeding ticket when I was 18 which is the extent of my criminal experience. I've got an appointment now to go get fingerprinted to apparently prove I am who I say I am. Am I missing anything here or does anyone have any experience with this? Any input is appreciated!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sounds like someone with a near identical name is the culprit. Follow MSP advisement. You don't want them knocking at your door at 0400 wanting to look at your guns.
    You will probably end up with a UPIN once this gets all fleshed out.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    In addition to what outrider said about a upin, you might want to request your fbi rap sheet. It costs like 18 bucks and you can finger print your self. It does take about a month or so to come back but it will show everything the fed can see in their system. Once you get it if there is anything on their that is not you or is improperly shown you can challenge it.

bicimechanic

Jan 15, 2023
    Harford County
    In addition to what outrider said about a upin, you might want to request your fbi rap sheet. It costs like 18 bucks and you can finger print your self. It does take about a month or so to come back but it will show everything the fed can see in their system. Once you get it if there is anything on their that is not you or is improperly shown you can challenge it.
    Thanks! Already started that process. My "rap sheet" should be a blank piece of paper! I've never been finger printed so I'm assuming this will just rule out whatever person they have me confused with. Though I'm not thrilled about being finger printed...

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Thanks! Already started that process. My "rap sheet" should be a blank piece of paper! I've never been finger printed so I'm assuming this will just rule out whatever person they have me confused with. Though I'm not thrilled about being finger printed...
    well you should have been fingerprinted for you HQL.

edit you can also do your own prints for it. just get the card from amazon its the fastest way

bicimechanic

Jan 15, 2023
    Harford County
    Sounds like someone with a near identical name is the culprit. Follow MSP advisement. You don't want them knocking at your door at 0400 wanting to look at your guns.
    You will probably end up with a UPIN once this gets all fleshed out.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Yeah the store owner mentioned the police may be coming to visit me. Great. I'll check out the UPIN.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Don't have a HQL. Have not purchased a handgun in probably 13 or so years. All long guns lately.
    Well now your getting printed, might as well do the HQl. If your doing a 77r with out your hql I assume your buying stripped lowers or other regulated long guns.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Yeah, thats the plan. No stripped lowers. I was buying a bolt gun and was denied.
    Did you mean that you were denied on your 4473 (ATF form)? That's entirely different from a 77r (MSP form for transfer of "regulated" firearms). I don't know of any bolt guns that are considered regulated in MD and would require a 77r.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Crap, yeah I misspoke. 4473 is the form.
    :thumbsup: The suggestion above on getting a UPIN should help this in the future. There's likely someone out there with a prohibiting offense on their record and the same name as yours. You could also put your SSN on the 4473 (optional, IIRC), if you're not already doing so.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Being a 4473 is very different than a 77r. The feds make mistakes due to the volume of stuff they do, vs the state is more hands on and probably less errors over all.

good luck

bicimechanic

Jan 15, 2023
    Harford County
    :thumbsup: The suggestion above on getting a UPIN should help this in the future. There's likely someone out there with a prohibiting offense on their record and the same name as yours. You could also put your SSN on the 4473 (optional, IIRC), if you're not already doing so.
    Thanks, yeah I do the full SSN on there. Never had an issue before.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    curious why Mechanics 4473 passed fine with previous purchases, and now this purchase is denied, even with using his full SSN?

Is there a link to the FBI rap sheet request??

D&Ds

Aug 16, 2022
    Indian Head
    Being a 4473 is very different than a 77r. The feds make mistakes due to the volume of stuff they do, vs the state is more hands on and probably less errors over all.

good luck
    Ha, my 77R was rejected after a week because they said it had wrong DL#. Then it got kicked because the DL# didnt match the name on the application. Just checked the website thinking I should be able to p/u tomorrow. Nope, now the flag says application sent back to dealer. Reason, as per discussion with dealer.
    WTF

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ha, my 77R was rejected after a week because they said it had wrong DL#. Then it got kicked because the DL# didnt match the name on the application. Just checked the website thinking I should be able to p/u tomorrow. Nope, now the flag says application sent back to dealer. Reason, as per discussion with dealer.
    WTF
    Call the FFL.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    curious why Mechanics 4473 passed fine with previous purchases, and now this purchase is denied, even with using his full SSN?

Is there a link to the FBI rap sheet request??
    search fbi rap sheet on google and it will lead you to it what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom