• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    I was thinking about the secession movement thats been talked about and even laughed at as an impossibility. And sadly i do agree that the state of maryland would never allow western maryland to remove their tax base and form a new state.

However that did get me thinking ....

What laws are there about militia's in MD?

Do militias that are not a part of the government already exist in MD?

Who has a bunch of land that they would be willing to let a large group of people train on?

Who would have the skills necessary and would volunteer to train other volunteers?

note that firearms are not required at all for this idea, more on the lines of training and political movement. If i recall there are some laws in maryland about open carrying a firearm at a demonstration, that could be entirely avoided by not having firearms for training. As well not having firearms present during physical activity would increase safety so nobody gets shot

I'm sure the threat of the "Western Maryland Militia" would at least give the idea some credibility and turn some heads even if actual violence was never used.

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I was thinking about the succession movement thats been talked about and even laughed at as an impossibility. And sadly i do agree that the state of maryland would never allow western maryland to remove their tax base and form a new state.

However that did get me thinking ....

What laws are there about militia's in MD?

Do militias that are not a part of the government already exist in MD?

Who has a bunch of land that they would be willing to let a large group of people train on?

Who would have the skills necessary and would volunteer to train other volunteers?

note that firearms are not required at all for this idea, more on the lines of training and political movement. If i recall there are some laws in maryland about open carrying a firearm at a demonstration, that could be entirely avoided by not having firearms for training. As well not having firearms present during physical activity would increase safety so nobody gets shot

I'm sure the threat of the "Western Maryland Militia" would at least give the idea some credibility and turn some heads even if actual violence was never used.
    "Militia" has lots of connotations you may not realize.

I suggest (if you haven't already) you Google the word you might find that in the less inhabited wilds of our United States, "militia" is another word for domestic terrorists and wackos.

BTW, there's lots of domestic LE agencies constantly digging and monitoring for all things related to "militia".

Just so you know.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    To the OP, you might start by quoting the Constitution correctly, as it is not a well-organized militia, but a well-regulated militia.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The Maryland Constitution speaks of "....Volunteer Militia organizations....." note it is plural and is in addition to "....the Militia,...."

ARTICLE IX
    MILITIA AND MILITARY AFFAIRS.
    SECTION 1. The General Assembly shall make, from time to time, such provisions for organizing, equipping and disciplining the Militia, as the exigency may require, and pass such Laws to promote Volunteer Militia organizations as may afford them effectual encouragement.

And if all "Armed Assembly" is illegal and was intended to include any group of two or more persons bearing arms then turkey shoots, managed hunts, and the state police barracks are all in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom