A Personal Visit from the MD State Police…

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'll look it up when I get home. I believe there is a clause in fed law that you still need to abide by your local laws.

You are correct. There is a section, I believe it's somewhere in 922, that specifies that all firearms sales have to comply with the laws of the purchaser's state of residence. It's the same reason that an Illinois or Jersey resident, for example, can't go to a free state and buy a long gun without an FOID card.

ljh

Jun 23, 2013
    Arrest warrant for what? It's perfectly legal for you to deny the police access to your home if they don't have a warrant.

I assume the arrest warrant would be for illegally buying, transporting, and possessing a regulated firearm into Maryland - based on the MSP's classification of it as a copy. I'm not saying the MSP is correct in classifying said firearm as a regulated one, but that is their interpretation and likely what the warrant issuing judge would support.

Make no mistake, the Troopers were there investigating what they believe to be a crime. Allowing the "offender" to file paperwork and avoid arrest is really only a convenience to all allowing them to clear up the "misunderstanding". Nevermind that the misunderstanding quite possibly belongs to the MSP.

The vaguely imprecise legislation and fuzzy AG opinions seem to leave a large amount of leeway in determining what is and is not regulated up to MSP, which isn't good at all.

You can go to 5 different FFL's in MD and find 5 different policies on 8 day, 10 day, 14 day release and those that will wait until MSP returns the ND regardless of how long. Why? Because they are covering their a$$es due to vague laws and fickle enforcement as it suits a particular agenda.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Interesting, the 556 does not appear on the regulated (soon to be banned) list. So that would be a surprise to just about everyone. This is what appears for SIGs, "(34) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber)." So I guess we just make the rules up as we go now.

Didn't you get the memo, the actual law doesn't matter. Just like the thread on traveling though DC and expecting FOPA to protect your rights. David Gregory gets a pass with an "illegal" magazine, while a guy with an empty shell casing goes to jail... Are you seeing how this all works. That's how they roll these days.

The 556 is not a regulated weapon per MD law, but, when you get to make the rules up as you go along... this is what you get.

M

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I assume the arrest warrant would be for illegally buying, transporting, and possessing a regulated firearm into Maryland - based on the MSP's classification of it as a copy. I'm not saying the MSP is correct in classifying said firearm as a regulated one, but that is their interpretation and likely what the warrant issuing judge would support.

Make no mistake, the Troopers were there investigating what they believe to be a crime. Allowing the "offender" to file paperwork and avoid arrest is really only a convenience to all allowing them to clear up the "misunderstanding". Nevermind that the misunderstanding quite possibly belongs to the MSP.

The vaguely imprecise legislation and fuzzy AG opinions seem to leave a large amount of leeway in determining what is and is not regulated up to MSP, which isn't good at all.

You can go to 5 different FFL's in MD and find 5 different policies on 8 day, 10 day, 14 day release and those that will wait until MSP returns the ND regardless of how long. Why? Because they are covering their a$$es due to vague laws and fickle enforcement as it suits a particular agenda.

Don't forget, this would be a Federal Crime, if it really is a regulated weapon by MD law. And don't forget who gets to decide what is regulated. Do you think the Judge will agree with Joe Gun Owner or the MSP?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Please excuse the tinfoil, but can some of this be a way of convincing others to register thier scary black death dealers prior to 10-1?

Parnoia combined with possible cell time is a powerful tool.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Please excuse the tinfoil, but can some of this be a way of convincing others to register thier scary black death dealers prior to 10-1?

Parnoia combined with possible cell time is a powerful tool.

Thankfully there is no penalty for failing to register any firearms pre-10/1 (registration is voluntary) or post 10/1.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Thankfully there is no penalty for failing to register any firearms pre-10/1 (registration is voluntary) or post 10/1.

I fully expect them to push for mandatory registration in the future. Look for it in the next couple of sessions. You know how they work, they go for it a little at a time.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    Here you go. You two have something in common.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=131294

According to what I was told... I was the first of these inquiries. I know there are many more to come. It seems as if ANY AR other than an exact Colt Sporter HBAR rifle with that exact roll mark is going to be registered per the MDSP.

I don't want to see the consequences for possessing such a rifle as unregulated Post-Octo1 when the MDSP deems it should have been registered.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Can someone clarify something for me?

When voluntarily registering a currently owned regulated firearm,

1) are all 3 77R forms completed ?

2) Is it simple registration or is the owner subject to the qualifications of regulated firearm ownership i.e. background check, etc. resulting in a "not disapproved" or disapproval and a NTN being issued?

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    While inspecting the 556 they had asked me if I had purchased any regulated firearms in MD. I replied "of course" as I've been a handgun owner since 2007. They then asked if any were recent, and to then see my latest "ND" from a Maryland FFL.

I then displayed my TWO "Not Disapprovals" for the Glock 17 and Glock 22 that I waited 110-or-so days to pickup. These both had a transfer date of mid-July.

Is there a requirement to keep the ND copies of our paperwork for regulated purchases? I have a bunch of those forms and they are not very organized at the moment. Maybe I should file them this weekend in case I get a visit.

TheRealSundance

AK47..All you need
    Oct 21, 2008
    Can someone clarify something for me?

When voluntarily registering a currently owned regulated firearm,

1) are all 3 77R forms completed ?

2) Is it simple registration or is the owner subject to the qualifications of regulated firearm ownership i.e. background check, etc. resulting in a "not disapproved" or disapproval and a NTN being issued?

Yes, you also fill out the mental background check form and you are background checked. Told this at MSP Pikesville licensing division by the head officer. Professional and nice guy.

But, they waive the $10 fee.:D

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Is there a requirement to keep the ND copies of our paperwork for regulated purchases? I have a bunch of those forms and they are not very organized at the moment. Maybe I should file them this weekend in case I get a visit.

I cannot see why they (MSP) need to see the forms, they are the ones who ND them?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If anyone is paraoid about 10/1.

Make an inventory sheet, and have it notarized before 10/1 at your local bank for free.

sprocket80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 10, 2013
    Maryland
    Sig556

I have only read a few pages into this thread but there have been a few of the most recent posters asking if the 556 is a copy of the 550/551. Not a copy...the 556 IS THE US VERSION of the 550/551...500 series.
    This is from Sig's own website. Its quite obvious MD and the MDSP will treat them as one and the same; regardless of the exact wording of the statute. They are not going to rewrite the laws everytime a manufacturer changes the name or model designation. While none of the posts here are to be considered legal advice, you have to realize the logistics and reality of law making and enforcement. Their intent is to ban assault rifles. They used as many current specific mfg names and models as they could find. Then they cast as wide a catch-all net as they could by using terms like "variant", "copy", and "copycat". And as if that wasn't enough, they added a list of characteristics like folding stock and length under 29". Get a lawyer and comply with officers of the law if they ever come consfigate (which I personally think they will never do). Buy what we can before Oct. 1, vote the liberal bastards out, or move to a gun friendly state. What other choices do we have?

To say do not let the state police in (with or without a warrant); do not produce the rifle (which they already know you have), or worse yet to lie to the officer and say I sold of lost it etc., etc., is pure ignorance, if not criminal.
    The MDSP does not want to enforce these laws...just re-read that letter. And I can tell you that the B(ATF)E does not like States usurping their authority- like Maryland is doing. Firearms sales across state lines however IS their rodeo. MDSP probably interveined at the request of the Justice Department under which the ATF falls, to follow it up and clean it up. MDSP found the weapon the ATF asked them to find. Luckily the owner was forthright and an obviously law abiding citizen. MDSP just asked him to fill out the proper forms. No misdemeanor charges or consfigations.
    The ATF could really care less about Maryland or Maryland's laws....that is straight from an agent's mouth to me before a seminar. The 556 is a regulated firearm in MD and the VA ffl should have known that. The poster said the officers acted courteously and professionally. Hopefully end of story?

My disclaimer....swiped from the comedian Dennis Miller...this is just my opinion; I may be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom