A Personal Visit from the MD State Police…

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    That is if you are not considered a resident of the other state also. There is where it gets really blurry.

The person while staying in the other state is considered a resident of that state, so they must use their local address when purchasing.

Dual residency is another topic. :)

But you got the idea.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Been dun befo.

Sons-Of-Guns-Stephanie-Hayden-Derp.jpg

Quick-change AR that takes different calibers and magazines. Is it regulated? :shrug:

Also: I'm not afraid of handcuffs. First of all, I live in VA. I'm not sure if you've read all my posts but I have been cuffed and stuffed by MSP before. I'm not afraid of them either. I'm a VCDL and NRA member, and I know a lot of people who know a lot of good lawyers. I can come up with the cash to pay a lawyer if the need should arise. If I didn't, I wouldn't carry a handgun concealed or keep one for self-defense.

Yep, but the question is not whether you are willing to wear the cuffs and pay the attorney fees, but whether the OP is willing to wear the cuffs and pay the attorney fees.

Me, I have a pretty large fear of handcuffs used by law enforcement.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I can see where you and Norton disagree on.

I don't have the text..but what I believe the quote you posted are unregulated long guns. I also believe the state resident and the ffl on the other state should consider the local laws. Ie. They can't sell you what's considered regulated in the state unless they ship the regulated firearm to MD ffl.

If what you said is true.. why doesn't online vendor mail you 20+ mags. Because they know MD has their own law on mag limits.

BINGO!

The mag issue is an excellent example. As long as the change of possession takes place in another state, the laws of that state apply. Same for shotguns and rifles in the 4 adjacent states according to the law. If it in the section for only unregulated long guns then I will sit corrected.

FYI - basically only handguns are regulated for interstate sales by federal law.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    BINGO!

The mag issue is an excellent example. As long as the change of possession takes place in another state, the laws of that state apply. Same for shotguns and rifles in the 4 adjacent states according to the law. If it in the section for only unregulated long guns then I will sit corrected.

FYI - basically only handguns are regulated for interstate sales by federal law.

I'll look it up when I get home. I believe there is a clause in fed law that you still need to abide by your local laws.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'll look it up when I get home. I believe there is a clause in fed law that you still need to abide by your local laws.

You are correct. And the local law is: "(b) Resident of this State in adjacent state. -- If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state."

The gray area is unless another state has regulated long guns then their definitions of what is a rifle or shotgun would apply according to the above wording. Md law as of now doesn't exclude assault weapons from the definition of rifle or shotgun like happens in SB281 with regards to copycats not including assault weapons or assault pistols.

And before anybody jumps in and says but it is under rifles and shotguns, rifles and shotguns are defined in the handgun section of the criminal law article.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You are correct. And the local law is: "(b) Resident of this State in adjacent state. -- If a resident of this State is eligible to purchase a rifle or shotgun under the laws of an adjacent state, the resident may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed gun dealer in the adjacent state."

The gray area is unless another state has regulated long guns then their definitions of what is a rifle or shotgun would apply according to the above wording.

I don't think you need to follow the adjoining state law. It all come down to the laws of your residency. (Buying firearms that is).

So the technically if its regulated here.. then you need to follow the rules here. Ie. Ask the ffl on the other state to mail the regulated firearm to an ffl in MD.

The ffl on the other side should also know to check the state law of the buyers.

Not saying its perfect as we just heard from the ops post.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    OP - any chance you were targeted for being a resident of Baltimore City and/or belonging to a recognized class of minority?

Just curious.

I doubt it... Late 20-something single white male, $140k tax bracket, Baltimore City/County born & raised, handgun owner since 2007, and not so much as a speeding ticket to my name.

But wait... does being a law abiding designated collector & gun owner make me a minority in Baltimore city? ;)

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I doubt it... Late 20-something single white male, $140k tax bracket, Baltimore City/County born & raised, handgun owner since 2007, and not so much as a speeding ticket to my name.

But wait... does being a law abiding designated collector & gun owner make me a minority in Baltimore city? ;)

Almost like a Carrier Pigeon...

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    You are correct.....and on this rifle it is the UPPER which is the serialized part.
    which is why i would say that there's a case to be made that a 556 is a copy of a 551. not that i necessarily agree with it, but if we're trying to figure out their logic...

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    What many of you are missing is the fact that the receiver itself is NOT an assault weapon. It is merely one component and one criterion for determining a copy.

From page 4 second full paragraph of the Gansler ruling:

The statute defines “firearm” to mean, among other things, “the
    frame or receiver” of a weapon that “expels ... a projectile by the
    action of an explosive.” PS §5-101(h)(1)(ii). This suggests that the
    Legislature deemed the frame or receiver as a distinctive component
    of a firearm. Presumably, a “copy” of a firearm would incorporate
    a reproduction or imitation of the frame or receiver of that firearm.
    Thus, an analysis of whether the frame or receiver of a given firearm
    are similar to the frame or receiver of an enumerated firearm would
    appear to be one criterion that could be considered in determining
    whether a firearm is a “copy” of an assault weapon.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Yeah, I think I would have respectfully declined and asked them to speak with my lawyer.

I think the OP was respectful and cooperative but after they see the one item they came to see I would concur with you.

OP, keep us posted and glad to hear everyone involved was cooperative etc. best of luck and thank you for the information.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    What many of you are missing is the fact that the receiver itself is NOT an assault weapon. It is merely one component and one criterion for determining a copy.
    oh, personally, i understand that. i'm just trying to figure out what basis MSP could have (beyond ignorance) for evn arguing the gun is regulated, etc, etc.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I think the OP was respectful and cooperative but after they see the one item they came to see I would concur with you.

OP, keep us posted and glad to hear everyone involved was cooperative etc. best of luck and thank you for the information.

And I would have asked them to wait where they were while I went to get what they wanted to see. What is the advice we get about minor infractions of the law turning into larger issues - 'never invite the man into your life'.

bulldog54

Jul 8, 2013
    Then again, It is more likely that MSP realizes that there is a problem with the laws. Many times MSP is caught in the middle of firearm laws that are just as stupid as the politicians who write them. Remember "We must pass the law, to know what's in the law". This statement is a reflection of those who wish to destroy our Constitutional rights.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I don't think you need to follow the adjoining state law. It all come down to the laws of your residency. (Buying firearms that is).

So the technically if its regulated here.. then you need to follow the rules here. Ie. Ask the ffl on the other state to mail the regulated firearm to an ffl in MD.

The ffl on the other side should also know to check the state law of the buyers.

Not saying its perfect as we just heard from the ops post.

But if the gun is C&C in MD then it is fine to purchase it C&C in VA.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    And I would have asked them to wait where they were while I went to get what they wanted to see. What is the advice we get about minor infractions of the law turning into larger issues - 'never invite the man into your life'.

Exactly what is was getting at. Well said. :)

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    The easiest and most efficient form of regulation and control is self-regulation.
    If you pass enough BS laws, and induce a mindset of fear among the minions, they will willingly submit to almost anything when there is a fear of losing something....or being in violation of a law.
    They have scared everyone to death thinking that if they even breathe wrong, they will lose ALL of their firearms forever.
    They know that even the thought of something happening will deter some from buying anything.
    Everywhere else in the country, areas that are not overly oppressed and beat down like us, believe that if the law doesn't say you can't do something then you CAN.
    Only in areas like Md., do we have a mindset where we want the law to tell us every little detail of what we CAN do, to ensure that we don't get in trouble.

It's truly sad that 20-25 years ago you could go to a gun shop and buy almost anything, except handguns, with cash and leave with it... including 30 round+ mags. Galils, ARs, AKs, Uzis, Valmets, FALs, etc, etc, etc.....
    The scariest part is that unless some major changes are made in the legislature....they pretty much have the votes to do anything they want.

Compliance with arbitrary and capricious enforcement is a cultural thing in MD, for law abiding citizens, established by the extreme MD democratic libtard political indoctrination of the MD liberal masses who vote like lemmings walking off a cliff.:rolleyes::sad20:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Reminds me of that old game for early PC's aptly titled Lemmings. They indeed just follow the leader right off the cliff.

Welcome to MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom