• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    A pristine 1935 pistol. I got this baby at Reddding's auction last sunday. It did not go cheap but I'm glad it found a home in Maryland. I took it out today and it shoots great. I found my carry piece once I get my conceal license.

Attachments

• IMG_20141220_183354.jpg
      IMG_20141220_183354.jpg
      57.5 KB · Views: 384
    • IMG_20141220_183424.jpg
      IMG_20141220_183424.jpg
      45.3 KB · Views: 374
    • IMG_20141220_183738.jpg
      IMG_20141220_183738.jpg
      49 KB · Views: 385
    • IMG_20141220_183705.jpg
      IMG_20141220_183705.jpg
      42.1 KB · Views: 365
    • IMG_20141220_183508.jpg
      IMG_20141220_183508.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 375
    • IMG_20141220_183556.jpg
      IMG_20141220_183556.jpg
      31.8 KB · Views: 384

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Wow, very nice!

It is almost a shame to carry it as it will beat up and holster burned eventually.

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    A pristine 1935 pistol. I got this baby at Reddding's auction last sunday. It did not go cheap but I'm glad it found a home in Maryland. I took it out today and it shoots great. I found my carry piece once I get my conceal license.

I've used this image before, and several times at that....but never, NEVER has it been more appropos.

900x900px-LL-9bb28d6b_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Absolutely gorgeous! I don't think I could ever bring myself to use something that nice as my carry gun but I'm glad it's a good shooter!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I think those Colts are some of the prettiest pistols ever made. But that one's a safe queen for sure; no way I'd carry it around. It's the sort of arms candy that you take to the range once a year, to make everyone else crazy jealous.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I think those Colts are some of the prettiest pistols ever made. But that one's a safe queen for sure; no way I'd carry it around. It's the sort of arms candy that you take to the range once a year, to make everyone else crazy jealous.

Understood BUT we only live X amount of years and one thing certain, that pistol will outlive any of us even if it is used often. Use it NOW, let the wife or kids do what they may with it............. :shrug:

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Understood BUT we only live X amount of years and one thing certain, that pistol will outlive any of us even if it is used often. Use it NOW, let the wife or kids do what they may with it............. :shrug:

I had the same thought about my Colt AR. Then I reolized that it needed to be shot. I enjoy it MUCH more now that I shoot it a lot instead of just looking at it in the safe. The thoughts of investment were crap compared to the joy ighy of shooting it.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That is beautiful.

I'd be happy with one half as nice, but I wouldn't carry it.

A carry gun should be 100% utilitarian, the best, most reliable boring ugly piece of expendable hardware. Assume the cops gonna take it and you won't get it back if you ever actually use it.

That's a barbecue gun.

I had the same thought about my Colt AR. Then I reolized that it needed to be shot. I enjoy it MUCH more now that I shoot it a lot instead of just looking at it in the safe. The thoughts of investment were crap compared to the joy ighy of shooting it.

That's how I feel about my Correct Grade Garand. It's been my number one shooter these past 5 or 6 years.

Shoot that barbecue gun, but don't carry it.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    I guess this is a good choice for a carry gun.

Attachments

• IMG_20141220_203445.jpg
      IMG_20141220_203445.jpg
      44.9 KB · Views: 304
    • IMG_20141220_203355.jpg
      IMG_20141220_203355.jpg
      45.2 KB · Views: 287

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Guns are made to shoot. All mine are. Life's too short to maintain a firearms museum

Jul 1, 2012
    I'd agree the OP Model M is too nice to use as a carry gun.
    It's in gorgeous condition.

It probably won't hurt to shoot occasionally but it'll get beat up in a holster as mentioned earlier.
    The .32 Model M shown later is more like it.

I'm biased of course but I feel strongly any early Colt (or other C&R gun) that has survived for this long in that beautiful condition should be maintained in that condition for future generations.
    (Yes my collection is more museum than daily functional and I'm ok with that).

There are more than plenty enough Model M's in shooter condition out there in both .32 and .380 -> I'd be glad to trade one of mine for it :)

This platform is a nice choice for an old-timey carry gun because it's reliable and very slim & compact compared to just about anything else. Biggest drawback for a self-defense gun: terrible, teeny sights. You'd really want to put Novaks or something like it for serious work which of course would destroy the value.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I'd agree the OP Model M is too nice to use as a carry gun.
    It's in gorgeous condition.

It probably won't hurt to shoot occasionally but it'll get beat up in a holster as mentioned earlier.
    The .32 Model M shown later is more like it.

I'm biased of course but I feel strongly any early Colt (or other C&R gun) that has survived for this long in that beautiful condition should be maintained in that condition for future generations.
    (Yes my collection is more museum than daily functional and I'm ok with that).

There are more than plenty enough Model M's in shooter condition out there in both .32 and .380 -> I'd be glad to trade one of mine for it :)

This platform is a nice choice for an old-timey carry gun because it's reliable and very slim & compact compared to just about anything else. Biggest drawback for a self-defense gun: terrible, teeny sights. You'd really want to put Novaks or something like it for serious work which of course would destroy the value.

+1 That's a beautiful 1908, hard to upgrade. I've got one just like it and yes, it's a museum piece. My last summer carry piece, when I lived in PA and had a CCW, was a Browning BDA in .380 (a Beretta 84 in different clothes). I've seen the odd 1903/1908 pocket hammerless that was refinished and had Novak sights added. A good carry piece, much narrower than my BDA.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Everyone has different opinions, of course, but when someone(s) have taken special care of a gun like this one, I personally feel an obligation to continue that level of custodial care if I'm lucky enough to have one that nice come to me.

If you want a good compact CCW, the P-64 fits that bill. If you are OK with something larger, but remarkably dependable and accurate, get a Vz. (CZ) 82 or 83.

I promise that if you get holster wear and scratches on that near-perfect Colt, you will some day regret it.

I've got plenty of guns that I can fire, carry, and even haul in the back seat of the truck (in a case) without worrying about ruining a piece that's in beautiful condition. I don't have a whole lot of museum pieces, but I do have some that I think deserve to be cleaned and stored safely.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom