• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The Omega 36m will work as well as or better than most of the other cans the OP is discussing. Most of what OP has asked about falls into the PCC/subgun suppressor category. Not anything wrong with that but it won't be ideal for actual handguns. Example: I have a Dead Air Wolfman (the successor to the Wolf 9SD) pending, but no plans to put it on a handgun. If I do it'll be going on my G34 that has a red dot on it so I can see over the can. Because it is a fat boy.

Personally if I had to start over again I would probably still go with a jack of all trades can first. Griffin Optimus, Bushwhacker, Rex Silentium MG7 or ModX series, Liberty MysticX/Cosmic, Omega 36m, etc. Though I am up to about 13 cans at this point so I'm not sure why I'm worried about modularity or versatility. Yet I still love the Griffin Optimus and would buy a Bushwhacker if I thought I would use it. However, if I were buying a pistol only can right now I would probably go with a Griffin, Rugged, or CGS can. Probably CGS to get something as light as possible.

Agreed on a modular/versatile can, much of the time you end up enjoying one aspect of shooting suppressed over another, and usually not what you THOUGHT you would like. I thought I would love suppressed 9mm handguns, but ended up being kinda gimmicky, add a RDS and/or suppressor sights and threaded barrel, and it gets expensive to add hosts. They are still fairly loud, and the can makes them a bit unweildy, can use a K-can to save some weight/bulk, but then they are louder, and pretty close to the "hearing safe" line. Rifles are fun, but adding 6-8" on the front can make them fairly long, although it's not as noticeable in larger platforms. I built an 18" AR10 that is about as fun as it gets, even with full power 308, it's hearing safe with a good can, and a 1lb can isn't that noticeable on a 12lb rifle. 22s are probably the most fun, load up some standard velocity ammo, and even autos are BB gun quiet, tons of fun to shoot without ears where hitting dirt is louder than the action, and hitting steel is far louder, if you haven't considered supressing a 22 it's awesome, even if you are not all that big of a 22 fan. Braced pistols/sbrs are where it is at, by far the most fun to shoot IMO. They are still relatively compact, still have the added control of the brace/stock, tend to balance out well, and still usually have a longer barrel to burn powder than a handgun, so they can be really quiet. Ended up building several after getting my Optimus.

That is the best part of a modular can, you can try out new things, and in most cases all it takes is a muzzle device to try out a new host instead of waiting a year for another can. Be aware of the specs, kinda sucks to use a 1.5" can on a pistol that will cover suppressor height sights, a K-can that isn't hearing safe, and especially rifle QD mounts, that alone can leave you stuck with a particular brand. I have the Griffin Optimus, and love it, compared to a pistol can, it's a little heavy, compared to a rifle can it's a little skinny with moderate suppression numbers, and compared to a 22 can it's huge, but it can work on all 3. It's probably best for 9mm PCCs with the 3 lug adapter, and 30cal rifles with the mid taper mount adapter. Being FA/rifle cal rated steel, it takes a lot to heat it up, and it has relatively low blowback/backpressure, IMO it's nearly an ideal PCC can. Now when looking into other cans, I'm confident that I know what I want, because I already have hosts, and already have shot them suppressed, and am willing to pay/wait for a can better suited to the job. Even still, there aren't many other cans that I can take to the range, and use for literally 20 different firearms.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I'm looking at the Rugged Obsidian 45. What are the wait times these days? Haven't submitted anything since before the trust rush a few years ago.

I have that can, it’s great. A bit heavy maybe but not as heavy as my .30 cal rugged can

Anyway, I think it took 11 months to get my stamp but that was last year

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    The Omega 36m will work as well as or better than most of the other cans the OP is discussing. Most of what OP has asked about falls into the PCC/subgun suppressor category. Not anything wrong with that but it won't be ideal for actual handguns. Example: I have a Dead Air Wolfman (the successor to the Wolf 9SD) pending, but no plans to put it on a handgun. If I do it'll be going on my G34 that has a red dot on it so I can see over the can. Because it is a fat boy.

Personally if I had to start over again I would probably still go with a jack of all trades can first. Griffin Optimus, Bushwhacker, Rex Silentium MG7 or ModX series, Liberty MysticX/Cosmic, Omega 36m, etc. Though I am up to about 13 cans at this point so I'm not sure why I'm worried about modularity or versatility. Yet I still love the Griffin Optimus and would buy a Bushwhacker if I thought I would use it. However, if I were buying a pistol only can right now I would probably go with a Griffin, Rugged, or CGS can. Probably CGS to get something as light as possible.

Where were you able to find one of these? I can’t find one in stock? Do you mind sharing what it cost you?

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Where were you able to find one of these? I can’t find one in stock? Do you mind sharing what it cost you?
    The Wolfman? I bought it from Hansohn Brothers (Culpeper, VA). I moved to VA last year so I use them as my NFA dealer. Their prices are better generally than Silencershop and they can load my purchases into my account. Their website is www.hansohnbrothers.com

Yuuge discount on Hansohn's Rex Silentium products right now if you use coupon code COVID19. I wish I had known their MODX line existed prior to buying the wolfman. Would have ordered one of those in .358 instead.

Dunno who you use for NFA purchases but the easiest answer is to get on Silencershop's backorder list. They open cans up to backorders a month or two prior to expected shipments.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Went with the Obsidian9. Then I picked up an Osprey9 which became my primary pistol can. The Obsidan in K setup is my primary 9mm carbine and in long form backup for pistol or .300 subsonic (full or K depending on host/sit), if I'm shooting with someone else (Amtac CQB762 is primary .30 can). Happy with the versatility of the Obsidian9 (I got rid of my .45's so didn't need the bigger can).

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    Bought a Omega 9k. Love it. Can’t service it but I don’t really find a need. I have a Ghost M and almost hate to shoot it because of the fact it will need to be cleaned eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom