• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    The heavier the better. Heavybuffers.com makes them to the proper length. If your buffer is too short it can break bolt catches. You want them to just clear the bolt catch.

The best spring for these are this:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...yle-308-chrome-silicon-springs-prod22336.aspx

Don't cut them, just install it and enjoy a spring that lasts 500K cycles and has a softer impulse that does not over compress.

Everything changes if you use a shorter stock like a LWRC UCIW Stock Assembly because they use shorter buffers. like mine:

Thanks for the reply. Your build had a lot of influence on my wanting to build mine. Great work as always :thumbsup: I'll be ordering that spring for mine.

I run the Q9 heavy buffer from heavybuffers.com. My 9mm AR is my favorite gun to shoot.

Thank you. They're a bit pricey but if they work, I'll buy once and cry once.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Thanks for the reply. Your build had a lot of influence on my wanting to build mine. Great work as always :thumbsup: I'll be ordering that spring for mine.

Thank you. They're a bit pricey but if they work, I'll buy once and cry once.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker. Last week a Heavy Buffers Q buffer (thier 9mm) with a Wolf spring went foe $61

I have seen CMMG bolts there for $175

aaronn

Aug 8, 2013
    Baltimore
    I've been using the buffer and spring that came with my no-name 9mm upper. Now that I switched to the VLTOR 7-position buffer tube I threw a rifle-length spring in there. Haven't shot it yet. I need to go over the options with my gunsmith who's currently working on it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've been using the buffer and spring that came with my no-name 9mm upper. Now that I switched to the VLTOR 7-position buffer tube I threw a rifle-length spring in there. Haven't shot it yet. I need to go over the options with my gunsmith who's currently working on it.

Hopefully your Smith knows the 9mm AR platform well, because if he/she does not, it can be a hair pulling endeavor.

aaronn

Aug 8, 2013
    Baltimore
    Hopefully your Smith knows the 9mm AR platform well, because if he/she does not, it can be a hair pulling endeavor.

He's a very well-regarded IP here. I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff and he's the type to admit when he doesn't. We'll run it once he chops the barrel and make the necessary alterations to buffer/spring then.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I run the Q9 heavy buffer from heavybuffers.com. My 9mm AR is my favorite gun to shoot.

My Q9 heavy buffer was delivered yesterday. Man, that thing is quite heavy.
    Another question: Will the standard 5.56 BCM Gunfighter charging handle work with the CMMG MK9 ramped bolt?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My Q9 heavy buffer was delivered yesterday. Man, that thing is quite heavy.
    Another question: Will the standard 5.56 BCM Gunfighter charging handle work with the CMMG MK9 ramped bolt?

Yes, it is what I have in mine.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    A YHM 7.62 will allow suppressor use on a 9mm carbine. You have to modify the YHM 9mm Q.D. mounts to accept the .30 Q.D. can, but its doeable. The one I modded had a bore of .398.

YHM does not like that being done though.

As I'm shopping for parts, another question came up:

Will any 7.62 flash hider/comp work with a 9mm? I am mainly building this to shoot it suppressed, but I also want to be able to shoot it unsuppressed when I want to. I figured the flash hider would add to the length and clear the rail. AAC doesn't make a flash hider that will allow the Tirant 9 to thread directly on it.

thanks.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    The heavier the better. Heavybuffers.com makes them to the proper length. If your buffer is too short it can break bolt catches. You want them to just clear the bolt catch.

The best spring for these are this:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...yle-308-chrome-silicon-springs-prod22336.aspx

Don't cut them, just install it and enjoy a spring that lasts 500K cycles and has a softer impulse that does not over compress.

Everything changes if you use a shorter stock like a LWRC UCIW Stock Assembly because they use shorter buffers. like mine:

OAL 21.00" Stock Extended/ 17.75" OAL Stock Collapsed

Nodak Spud XME16 Partial Fence Lower Receiver (Form 1 SBR)
    Magpul MBUS Pro Sight Set
    Gear Sector Hand Stop
    MFT React Short Vertical Grip (Shortened to blend with the Hand Stop)
    YHM Spectre 9.675" Lightweight Free Float Rail (Chopped and Faced)
    ADCO 4.5” Barrel 13.5x1 Left Hand Threads
    CMMG MK9 Ramped 9mm Bolt (Works with Standard AR15 Hammers)
    RRA 9mm Upper Receiver
    Ranier Arms Raptor Charging Handle
    HK 4 Prong 13.5x1 Left Hand Flash Hider (Not Shown)
    13.5x1 LH Thread Protector
    Attach Clearing Rod (Not Shown)
    Magpul MS2 Sling (Not Shown)
    Heavy Buffers U9 UCIW 9mm 8.5 oz Buffer
    Hahn TOP Loader 9mm Adaptor without BHO
    Colt 9mm Bolt Catch
    DPMS Lower Parts Kit w/o FCG
    Gieselle SSA-E Trigger
    Magpul MOE K2 Pistol Grip
    SBR and 9mm Engraving
    Superior Shooting Solutions Rifle Length Flat Wire CS Buffer Spring
    Double Star Dual Sling Plate
    UCIW LWRC Stock
    Noveske STS 60 Degree Ambi Safety
    Throated Barrel
    Polished Bolt Tail
    Polish Bolt Underside
    Tuned Extractor
    Cut and Polished 9mm Adaptor Ramps
    Bedded Barrel to Receiver
    Trued Receiver Face
    Polished Hammer Face

Please forgive me in advance but I have every intention of cloning that sexy little tart when my M16A1 is paroled from the Federal pokey. :gun2:

What a beautiful machine!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As I'm shopping for parts, another question came up:

Will any 7.62 flash hider/comp work with a 9mm? I am mainly building this to shoot it suppressed, but I also want to be able to shoot it unsuppressed when I want to. I figured the flash hider would add to the length and clear the rail. AAC doesn't make a flash hider that will allow the Tirant 9 to thread directly on it.

thanks.

Normally , NO. You would have to have the 7,62 Muzzle Device bored out to allow the 9mm to pass through. You would also have to have the barrel threaded in something like 5/8-24 which is a common .308 thread.

For a Tirant you will have to get a piston in whatever thread you have (1/2-28, 13.5x1, or 1/2-36) and then get a FIXED piston spacer. It replaces the piston booster and only costs $20.00. If you want a muzzle device on it when the can isn't installed youll have to look for one in the above thread patterns.

I mentioned the YHM .308 can going on a 9mm by using a YHM 9mm Q.D. mount, BUT the 9mm Mount has to be modified to allow the YHM .308 can to attach.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Please forgive me in advance but I have every intention of cloning that sexy little tart when my M16A1 is paroled from the Federal pokey. :gun2:

What a beautiful machine!

Thank you very much. Your RR M16 would be damn sweet with that setup. :party29:

I shot it. It's F'ing awesome.

The trigger haunted you and made you spend lots of loot. :)

I'm sure!

Does it have a DIAS (great candidate)?

No RDIAS, but one day it will.

MACTHEGUN

Aug 18, 2014
    Thank you very much. Your RR M16 would be damn sweet with that setup. :party29:

No RDIAS, but one day it will.

Absolutely! Looking forward to it even though I've got lot's of trigger time in my former life as it's the gun I grew up with.

I hope you get a chance to score that RDIAS (prices have gone absolutely nuts of late)!

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Normally , NO. You would have to have the 7,62 Muzzle Device bored out to allow the 9mm to pass through. You would also have to have the barrel threaded in something like 5/8-24 which is a common .308 thread.

For a Tirant you will have to get a piston in whatever thread you have (1/2-28, 13.5x1, or 1/2-36) and then get a FIXED piston spacer. It replaces the piston booster and only costs $20.00. If you want a muzzle device on it when the can isn't installed youll have to look for one in the above thread patterns.

I mentioned the YHM .308 can going on a 9mm by using a YHM 9mm Q.D. mount, BUT the 9mm Mount has to be modified to allow the YHM .308 can to attach.

Thanks for the detailed response. Looks like I'll just have to remove the flash hider anytime I want to suppress it. This has been quite the learning experience.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Another question for you fine folks. I bought a 9mm muzzle brake so that I'm able to shoot this while waiting for my suppressor to be approved. As you can see by the photo below, one of the ports on the brake is inside the handguard. Now I know that 9mm doesn't produce a lot of flash, but should I be worried about ruining my handguard? A friend of mine on the forum brought it up and it's got me thinking. I'm obviously going to put a handstop so that I don't ruin my hand :D

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've seen handguards blow apart from things like that BUT they were 5.56.

I wouldn't do it, but you might get away with no damage. May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom