• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Regardless of what he shot the intruder with, he possessed one weapon that a lot of better equipped individuals don't which is the ability to actually squeeze the trigger when it counted.

^This. :thumbsup:

Any weapon is useless if your not willing to employ it effectively.

Winchester_guy87

Mar 2, 2011
    Odenton
    Everyone seems to think you need a 40 or a 45 for home defense... I think its a load of B.S. a .22 has the same effect in the end as a 9mm .40 or .45 IMO when you are defending yourself in your own home with no other way out and have no other choice you will shoot to kill not shoot to wound

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I think its a load of B.S. a .22 has the same effect in the end as a 9mm .40 or .45 IMO when you are defending yourself in your own home with no other way out and have no other choice you will shoot to kill not shoot to wound

A couple of thoughts on this:

If I am attacked in my home, with my wife and small child--there is no "shooting to wound". This practice is highly recommended against by, well everyone, including legal defense experts such as Masad Ayoob.

Second, while a .22 is lethal, it can take a very long while to get to this point--as in hours. This is a problem.

Third, in the case of a Meth-high rage invasion type, which is the type I expect to not flee when the shooting starts, you are likely to need serious upgrades to firepower. The cannibal guy in FL. took 6+ rounds to stop, and he was both naked, and not actively trying to eat the cop.

If given enough time in a home defense situation, I am 1) Rifling up, and 2) using the biggest, baddest thing I've got. I'm not grabbing a .22 and saying "hey this does the trick....most of the time". Even in the various desert boxes our guys are *still* fighting in there are way too many accounts of bad guys getting shot by .223's and just getting back up. At 300 yards this is annoying. At 3 yards this is downright unacceptable.

Gundahar

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    .22s have been know to ricochet within the body after contact with bone. A lot of ER's claim it is the worst kind of wound. (You will have to do your own Googling for I have heard it from way to many different sources to verify) Criminal probably bleed out. Not saying shot placement wasnt key, but it was most likely reactive fire.

On another note the Victim was probable targeted because he was elderly which is such a shame. I am not saying it in any respects ok to rob/rape/murder/pillage but this is becoming an unfortunate trend. I am glad this man took this guy out and only wish he got the others as well.

Jul 26, 2012
    Maryland
    The homeowner IMHO was totally justified. 3 criminals against one old man?
    I bet the other two punks will think long and hard before they attempt to break into another home. As for the one that lost his life, he gave up protection from harm as soon as he began his felonious act.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    A hole in the heart is just as deadly regardless of size.

A wise man once sang;

Shot through the heart
    And you're to blame
    Darlin'
    You give love a bad name
    :party29:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    It's sad an elder has to bear the burden of taking anothers life at this point in his life.

Regardless of what many think....it's not something easy to deal with.

Happy all turned out well for the home owner.

Anyone who is thinking "I'll grab the .22 instead of the 9mm or .45" has issues.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Have to consider, the guy is 92. Maybe the .22 was the biggest, baddest, or even the only gun in the house.

I'll be happy to be rocking a .22 at that age. At my age I can handle the recoil/heft of beefier guns.

Gundahar

the Javid

Part time baby killer
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bowie
    I heard about this on a radio show and apparently he told the reporters killibg that guy was no different than killing a raccoon. Now if he did actually say that and it wasn't the radio show host making fun of him, then good. Means he won't feel remorse for taking that scumbag down, and why should he? When a man or woman defends his or her castle, there should be no remorse. Someone who prays on those he believes to be weak and defensless deserves what they get when a home owner defends himself or herself.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    It's not about caliber; it's about shot placement. ;)

I think I remember a story here about a woman shooting an intruder that came in while she was in the shower, IIRC it she got him with a .22 (rifle?)

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    It's sad an elder has to bear the burden of taking anothers life at this point in his life.

Regardless of what many think....it's not something easy to deal with.

I heard about this on a radio show and apparently he told the reporters killibg that guy was no different than killing a raccoon. Now if he did actually say that and it wasn't the radio show host making fun of him, then good. Means he won't feel remorse for taking that scumbag down, and why should he? When a man or woman defends his or her castle, there should be no remorse. Someone who prays on those he believes to be weak and defensless deserves what they get when a home owner defends himself or herself.

Did any of you feel remorse when you killed an enemy combatant overseas?
    Then why would you feel remorse for defending your life here at home?
    Just sayin.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    USA Today had this story a couple days ago. The owner said he had to give up his gun to the cops and was affraid of being unarmed if the other 2 came back. Made me think about folks that have only one gun, its pretty sad.

DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    There are all going points here. I think the concept of going with the larger caliber is based on the idea that the perp will have a gun of his own. In that case, you really only want to take one good shot.

I'm glad the old man did not get hurt, and taught a lesson. That's the problem in this world, no one is taught lessons enough. Point being, I would be really suprised to see the 2 remaining buddies try to pull off another robbery.

For the record, I opt for .45cal, I'm not looking to wound if you jepordize the safety of my family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom