• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    ... shot placement is critical.

To what in this particular situation? If the burglar had enough "umph" to get away... he would have still had enough "umph" to hurt the homeowner if under the influence of drugs, rage or anger/adrenaline. Instead, he decided to flee... to the luck of the homeowner.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    To what in this particular situation? If the burglar had enough "umph" to get away... he would have still had enough "umph" to hurt the homeowner if under the influence of drugs, rage or anger/adrenaline. Instead, he decided to flee... to the luck of the homeowner.
    Well, the homeowner only took one shot. If the burglar had continued to advance, he prolly would have let him have some more.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This couldn't have really happened.

I heard that if you have a gun in your house, you'll only end up shooting yourself. Either that, or the burglar will take it away from you.

-----------------------------------

To the OP:

Please do not quote news articles. It put the forum in danger of being sued, which is why it's forbidden here.

Copyright violations: Cutting and pasting any external article content is not permitted. If you care about the forum please don't do it. We can't afford to get shut down over a needless lawsuit and these legal firms are getting more aggressive about coming after site owners. So when you want to reference an article, you may post:
    1)A link to the article.
    2)The title of the article.
    3)A brief summation in your own words of the article.
    That is it. Nothing more. As in nothing, nada, zero. No first sentence clipped out, nothing. Violating this policy will draw infractions and/or banning regardless of who you are.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=56622

I don't mean to give you a hard time. It used to be much nicer for us when we could just include the article like you did. But we got threatened with lawsuits from people who would love to shut us down, so we can't do it that way anymore.

Instead, just give us a brief description of the story along with the link, like this:

Here's a great story of a 92 year old veteran defending his home from a stupid criminal who kicked in his door at 2 in the morning. Result: one dead home invader, both of his buddies in jail.
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/92-...der-as-soon-as-he-got-inside-it-was-all-over/

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV

Oh blah blah blah...i get so sick of this crap...did you even read the article? The one boy he shot died right there, plain and simple...the other 2 ran off, i doubt they cared if it was a .22 or a .30-06 when they hear a bang and their buddy hits the ground. You can come up with a million what-ifs for everything but they dont change the reality of what actually happened

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    No,the dead guy was found later in another location (fled the scene). However I noticed the comments about an 'old man taking out a criminal with 1 shot, too bad police couldn't do the same......'

Not cop-bashing, just noticing that others seem very aware of the 46 shots-to-stop-a-criminal thing, not just us.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Oh blah blah blah...i get so sick of this crap...did you even read the article? The one boy he shot died right there, plain and simple...the other 2 ran off, i doubt they cared if it was a .22 or a .30-06 when they hear a bang and their buddy hits the ground. You can come up with a million what-ifs for everything but they dont change the reality of what actually happened

I did. Did you?

:rolleyes:

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    No,the dead guy was found later in another location (fled the scene). .
    The article said the other two guys were charged with second degree burglary and tampering with evidence. It said they removed the body from the old man's home. He could have still been alive, but that's not how it reads.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I did. Did you?

:rolleyes:

Yea, but i misread...sorry. regardless, the fact is that it was still enough to not only scare them off and kill one of them. My point still remains that the caliber really didnt matter, it was the fact that he was shot/they were shot at that was enough to send them running.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Nothing against .22's, but there are known cases where caliber matters. The first is against a hopped up assailant, which is distressingly common. Also the reason for the 1911 in the first place!

Sure a .22 in exactly the right place will still work, but I'd rather have a bit more leeway than that. This goes triple for a moderate-to-willing shot like myself, who is going CM, and not head shot, regardless of caliber.

Cops used to have real problems with the .38 round's ability to get stops, back in the day, but the .38 spl "detective's load" basically corrected that.

I'm not saying that caliber matter so much as I am what comes out of the barrel, with what force, does. Its also something you can easily control in the leisure time well before an attack, and is not nearly as time intensive as training.

These days there is a lot of data out there on a number of different load outs due to police shootings. Some rounds perform better, over a large sample size, than others. It hurts nothing to gravitate towards these loads, and I think its not unreasonable to plan for using them in case of a crisis. Its not like I expect the SWAT guys to ditch their handguns in favor of .22's any day now. No one who uses them professionally would, I expect, and for a good reason. No sense not playing the odds and when lives are on the line, you 'gotta go with what's expected to work best.

Edit: My considerations: I expect 90+% of criminals to flee if I start effective fire on them, even if they heavily outnumber the defender. I also believe that the other 10% are the worst case crazy/PCP-Meth types, and its those 10% that slant my preparations. I don't have hard data on the percentage of violent crime committed by the truly hardcore versus the "in it for the money" criminal, but either way, its those types that ultimately force me to consider higher power loads and larger calibers. YMMV--that is just my way of thinking. I also prefer the heavier 7.62 or 30-30 type rifles for the same reason :-)

Gundahar

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Nothing against .22's, but there are known cases where caliber matters. The first is against a hopped up assailant, which is distressingly common. Also the reason for the 1911 in the first place!

Sure a .22 in exactly the right place will still work, but I'd rather have a bit more leeway than that. This goes triple for a moderate-to-willing shot like myself, who is going CM, and not head shot, regardless of caliber.

Cops used to have real problems with the .38 round's ability to get stops, back in the day, but the .38 spl "detective's load" basically corrected that.

I'm not saying that caliber matter so much as I am what comes out of the barrel, with what force, does. Its also something you can easily control in the leisure time well before an attack, and is not nearly as time intensive as training.

These days there is a lot of data out there on a number of different load outs due to police shootings. Some rounds perform better, over a large sample size, than others. It hurts nothing to gravitate towards these loads, and I think its not unreasonable to plan for using them in case of a crisis. Its not like I expect the SWAT guys to ditch their handguns in favor of .22's any day now. No one who uses them professionally would, I expect, and for a good reason. No sense not playing the odds and when lives are on the line, you 'gotta go with what's expected to work best.

Gundahar

Regardless of what he shot the intruder with, he possessed one weapon that a lot of better equipped individuals don't which is the ability to actually squeeze the trigger when it counted.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Regardless of what he shot the intruder with, he possessed one weapon that a lot of better equipped individuals don't which is the ability to actually squeeze the trigger when it counted.

Oh agree 100%! Heck, I keep eyeing the .22 LCR Ruger revolvers.

Gundahar

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom