• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I had one a few months ago that had to restart the 7 days because i put "self employed". They told the FFL that the application was incomplete and when I called MSP they said I had to be specific. I told her what I did and she made the change and told me the clock started again.

I went and looked at the last 3 (most recent was 2 moths before) and they all said "employed"
    being self employed is a disqualifier?
    lolwut?

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I have an appointment at Heritage for fingerprinting today for my HQL. Never been there so I’m going to check out their guns as well.
    You don’t need fingerprints for the HQL if you’ve got (or applied for) your handgun permit.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I had one a few months ago that had to restart the 7 days because i put "self employed". They told the FFL that the application was incomplete and when I called MSP they said I had to be specific. I told her what I did and she made the change and told me the clock started again.

I went and looked at the last 3 (most recent was 2 moths before) and they all said "employed"
    Wow.

Perhaps better to list “retired.”

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Yep they won’t accept self employed anymore. It’s all moronic. My job has nothing to do with whether or not I pas a background check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Write N/A. If they hold it up, say unemployed.

Or Bank Rober. If they reject it call and let them know selling business suits is a great profession.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Mine was sent back to the dealer on the 7th day because I apparently listed an industry instead of an occupation on it. No email about it, just saw it as a message on the portal. I had to resubmit it and start the 7 day wait again. Same info on it I had always used, most recently 4 months ago, we changed it for this resubmission.

How vague were you?? Haha. I list as financial services and it hasn't been an issue on at least 3 77Rs.

To OP, I just had one approved in 7 days this past Saturday.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    From the 77r application (the ? beside occupation):

These values are not acceptable as Occupation:

• Other
    • N/A
    • Self-employed / entrepreneur
    • Anything that does not reflect an actual occupation, e.g., Money Maker, Bread Winner, Paper Pusher, Government Worker
    So you can't use self-employed as an occupation. What exactly do you do that you pay yourself for? Lawn service, truck driver? That's what you put down.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

• Other
    • N/A
    • Anything that does not reflect an actual occupation, e.g., Money Maker, Bread Winner, Paper Pusher, Government Worker
    So you can't use self-employed as an occupation. What exactly do you do that you pay yourself for? Lawn service, truck driver? That's what you put down.
    Wait, government worker isn't an occupation? The folks at MSP know they just outed the fact that they aren't employed, right?

I am putting down stripper on my next one.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I wish they had sent that to me. I would dare them to deny the form based on what I put in that space.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

• Other
    • N/A
    Self Employed ( Something) .

Self Employed is being treated as an adjective , not a noun .

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm still wondering what bearing your job or profession has in the process. Unless you put meth cooker or international arms smuggler?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Most will. To a customer who has a good history.

If not, stop doing business with them.

I can sort of see not releasing to a person who has not bought a gun in a few years or something.

but if they won't release to recently approved WC holder, out them.
    With stories of FFL revocations increasing 500% over the previous administration, and youtube videos of ATF agents taking photos of an FFLs entire bound book, I would tend to give my FFL a bit of slack. They are under pressure from the FED to do everything precisely correct or risk loosing their license. No license means no guns for us. If their policy is to wait for the "not disapproved" even if i takes more than the statutory wait time, I'd tend to give them a bit of slack.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Well the pick up went fine. I told him that I did not get the email, he checked his and had received the ok to proceed.

I did email the link they give and two other names listed on the web site at the MSP about it. I sent them a copy of my collectors letter and an older approved 77r. I dont know if they saw it and cleared it for release. I also know they get the email from the state police a day early, Brian has told me that he gets it the day before.

So over all no big deal.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually , with 77R , the issues are with MSP LD , not ATF . ATF cares about 4473 and NICS .

But actually , the question has already been settled legally , back in 2013 . Oversimplifing the backstory , but the pretrial settlement was essentially " MSP would prefer to wait for the Not Disaproved , it is entirely legal for dealers to release after the 7 day period , AND MSP will NOT retaliate or take an action against dealers who do so ., And they haven't .

Of course , each dealer is free to set their own store policy . And frequently they will disclose to such purchasers potential consequences to purchasers . ie , if gun is still @ store when a Disapproval comes down , they would be out a restocking fee as provided in their policy , but if MSP knocks on their door to confiscate it , they loose all $ spent .

During the crunch in '13 , many dealers had their own additional policies . Such as for regular customers , holders of 003 , or Designated Collectors , or holders of non res CCW , etc . One dealer neer me set a 14 day release . Knowing that upfront , I was willing to deal with them , YMMV .

But in general , this is a conversation to have in advance of purchase/ transfer , so everybody is on the same page .

Trivia - My first pre - October Strategy purchases took 117 days before release . After that , I always asked first .

Wishmewell

Jan 3, 2023
    Maryland
    So I have my ccw and my hql. After reviewing my 77R form I noticed for place of birth I put Washington, D.C. but does Maryland pop up behind it?

Wishmewell

Jan 3, 2023
    Maryland
    Its been a while, if the form lets you continue you are good to go.
    I appreciate it! Thinking back I don’t think it would just accept Washington D.C. so I had to add Maryland behind it. I have my ccw and my hql so during their investigation they will let it go .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom