• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ive been wondering about the MGI Hydra. Sweet little rig, been thinking of snagging a 9mm followed by a 7.39 magwell and upper. That would allow the use of AK mags.

I could then divest of my AR 7.62x39 upper and fickle mags.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    OldCarJunkie has a beautiful Russkie 1952 SKS for sale, if nobody snatched it up yet.

That guy has good taste, I bought one of his Russian SKS's several year back. Greased it, never got a chance to fire it.

Makes me wonder what the good ones are like!

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    The vz2008 looks very appealing to me, I have been doing some research and can't locate any magazines that I would be able to acquire being a md resident. May have to settle for an sks.

At least 2 IPs, Duffy's & High Rock Outfitters, have vz2008s in stock on & off. Duffy's pins the mags; HRO is in Hanover, PA. & sells them unaltered. If you do buy one without mags, these may tide you over until you can pick up some std. cap. mags out of state:

http://www.continentalmilitaria.com/zbozi-182-VZ58-rifle-10-round-shortened-magazine

IIRC it took about 2 weeks for delivery.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Old thread but just Snagged a Mini-30 thanks to a gentlemen on here. Always liked the look of these guns, was looking for a Mini-14 but figured what the hey Im very vested in 7.62x39 so why not.

May have to put a Woodstock on it.

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    Ok I read thru most of this and some people went waaaaay left field. Hopefully I'll help you out. Going off what I read it seems as if you're leaning towards the AK pistol. So I guess it's safe to not mention the SKS and VZ2008/58 lol.

I actually own/bought a AK Pistol. It's a CAI Centurion 39 AK Style Pistol. I bought it from JGsales.com the shipping was good and it's basically just an AK without a stock and has a little barrel lol.

Now I was doing the same research you are and I said screw the pistol brace. This is what I'm going with... drum roll please...
    DSC01175.JPG

A USMACHINEGUN BUFFER TUBE ADAPTER!!! HAAAA!!! But instead of the stock I'll replace it with this... again with the drum roll...
    img_3435.jpg

A Thordsen cheek rest... Please, please hold your applause... I'm not finish. Next is this...
    ACC-SBPT-2T.jpg

An Odins Works adjustable pistol tube so you can acquire your desired simulated stock length. All 100% legal in the Good ole state of MD!!! What wait there's more?? How about this to put the cherry on top!!!!
    DSC00740.JPG

A Usmachinegun muzzle brake!

ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    ...so you are turning your pistol into a rifle?

Nope it wouldn't be a rifle. A rifle has a stock and a long barrel. My AK would have a cheek rest which technically isn't a stock and a muzzle brake which wouldn't be a permanent fixture, just an added accessory. Technically it would still be a pistol and 100% legal :)

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Range report on the CMMG MK47 Mutant.

Fired about 150 rounds on Friday at 50 yards from a variety of magazines, from new MagPul AK plastic mags to surplus AK metal ones.

First, the MagPul flip-up backup iron sights were nearly on from the get-go: shot about six inches low and a couple inches left right out of the box. A few shots and it was centered at 50 yards.

Accuracy was pretty good with my old eyes and "irons" (plastics?) at that distance. I put most variations down to my shivering and shooter technique. I was happy with the way it shot from the bench: all rounds stayed near the middle of the Shoot-n-See target, grouping nicely. Sorry for the lack of pics - phone was in the warm(er) truck.

Reliability is still a question mark: I didn't have many problems with the MagPul plastic mag (one FTF), which I'd put down to infant mortality/break-in, I had a few more malfunctions (all FTF) with the surplus AK metal mags, including one mag that caused an FTF every time after the first shot was fired.

This needs more research. Once everything is cleaned and re-lubed, I'll shoot again for reliability using a number of mags.

Overall, other than the open issue above, I like the rifle. I've read of people pooh-poohing it on line because it's not an AK and it's not an AR. it's expensive for sure. There's no bolt-hold-open feature and the AR-style charging handle is the only means to cycle the action after a reload. I don't mind the simplicity, however.

Even with whatever bargain-basement 7.62X39 rounds I had laying around, the rifle ran pretty cleanly for a direct-impingement gas gun and the bolt carrier wasn't in bad shape at all following this relatively limited session.

What most of those people (from out of state) don't get is that it is a Maryland over-the-counter AR-pattern rifle chambered in a caliber with readily-available cheap ammo with a full-length keymod handguard and that takes standard AR fire control parts on the lower. It's pretty light and I could see myself shooting coyotes or hogs with it and generally just having fun.

Is it the be-all and end-all? Of course not, especially until I sort out the FTFs, but it's a very likeable rifle. If you want to thumb your nose at Maryland's stupidity when it comes to firearms laws, perhaps you'd like to go and get one over the counter in a cash-and-carry deal.

More to follow after reliability testing.

Irons

any follow ups on this ?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Old thread but just Snagged a Mini-30 thanks to a gentlemen on here. Always liked the look of these guns, was looking for a Mini-14 but figured what the hey Im very vested in 7.62x39 so why not.

May have to put a Woodstock on it.

How do they run with steel cased ammo?

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    How do they run with steel cased ammo?

The Ruger manual says you shouldn't run steel cased ammo in a Mini-30. I found WPA would not feed smoothly. Every round required a "forward assist" on the bolt handle to chamber. It was just a nudge but kinda defeats the purpose of a semi-auto. Runs PPU like a champ though.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The Ruger manual says you shouldn't run steel cased ammo in a Mini-30. I found WPA would not feed smoothly. Every round required a "forward assist" on the bolt handle to chamber. It was just a nudge but kinda defeats the purpose of a semi-auto. Runs PPU like a champ though.

Don't most major factory guns say don't run steel case.

Sadly haven't had a chance to give it exercise.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I agree love the PTR32 and shoot it often great gun for the money!!! Just picked up Cmmg mutant today. Will see how it compares ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom