• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. This may be a dumb question, but if I want an ak pistol I am assuming it would have to be shipped with a fired shell casing. Does anyone know of any online retailers of ak pistols that could accommodate the needs of a Maryland resident?

Probably none. Most MD FFLs will do a fired she'll casing for a nominal fee.

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    The vz2008 looks very appealing to me, I have been doing some research and can't locate any magazines that I would be able to acquire being a md resident. May have to settle for an sks.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The vz2008 looks very appealing to me, I have been doing some research and can't locate any magazines that I would be able to acquire being a md resident. May have to settle for an sks.

you can buy one in pa or va and get the mags. Other than that, a lot of the MD IPs that sell them block the mags non-permanently ;)

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I have an out of state source who says he's getting more Vz.58 mags "soon" for about $20 each. I can let you know if he comes through.

Feb 28, 2013

Get the VZ. You can worry about the mags later, like at out of state gunshows. You won't be sorry.

2nd=Good+Substantial

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    The Hereford Zone
    I have an out of state source who says he's getting more Vz.58 mags "soon" for about $20 each. I can let you know if he comes through.

I'd be interested in getting a few more. Please advise if your source is successful.

OP, check with Gary at High Rock Outfitters, he may still have some Vz58's (with 3 standard capacity mags).

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    CMMG Mutant rifle is a 7.62X39 that uses standard AK mags (of all materials, plastic to metal) and is over-the-counter Maryland legal. Just came out and they are a quality item.

http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1998.htm

It uses an AR-style direct-gas impingement bolt (basically an AR-10 bolt with the back of the carrier necked down to go inside an AR-15 buffer tube).

Other than mags, all AR-15 goodies work, including fire control group parts.

Irons

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    CMMG Mutant rifle is a 7.62X39 that uses standard AK mags (of all materials, plastic to metal) and is over-the-counter Maryland legal. Just came out and they are a quality item.

http://www.cmmginc.com/category_s/1998.htm

It uses an AR-style direct-gas impingement bolt (basically an AR-10 bolt with the back of the carrier necked down to go inside an AR-15 buffer tube).

Other than mags, all AR-15 goodies work, including fire control group parts.

Irons

Wow thanks!

Anyone: ideal AR barrel length is 20", ideal 300blk is half that. What is ideal 762x39 barrel length?

Wfilardo

Jan 21, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Assuming the pistol in on the MD hangun roster and can be transferred into MD there are FFLs here who will fire the weapon and submit the shell casing to MSP. For an additional fee of course.

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    Range report on the CMMG MK47 Mutant.

Fired about 150 rounds on Friday at 50 yards from a variety of magazines, from new MagPul AK plastic mags to surplus AK metal ones.

First, the MagPul flip-up backup iron sights were nearly on from the get-go: shot about six inches low and a couple inches left right out of the box. A few shots and it was centered at 50 yards.

Accuracy was pretty good with my old eyes and "irons" (plastics?) at that distance. I put most variations down to my shivering and shooter technique. I was happy with the way it shot from the bench: all rounds stayed near the middle of the Shoot-n-See target, grouping nicely. Sorry for the lack of pics - phone was in the warm(er) truck.

Reliability is still a question mark: I didn't have many problems with the MagPul plastic mag (one FTF), which I'd put down to infant mortality/break-in, I had a few more malfunctions (all FTF) with the surplus AK metal mags, including one mag that caused an FTF every time after the first shot was fired.

This needs more research. Once everything is cleaned and re-lubed, I'll shoot again for reliability using a number of mags.

Overall, other than the open issue above, I like the rifle. I've read of people pooh-poohing it on line because it's not an AK and it's not an AR. it's expensive for sure. There's no bolt-hold-open feature and the AR-style charging handle is the only means to cycle the action after a reload. I don't mind the simplicity, however.

Even with whatever bargain-basement 7.62X39 rounds I had laying around, the rifle ran pretty cleanly for a direct-impingement gas gun and the bolt carrier wasn't in bad shape at all following this relatively limited session.

What most of those people (from out of state) don't get is that it is a Maryland over-the-counter AR-pattern rifle chambered in a caliber with readily-available cheap ammo with a full-length keymod handguard and that takes standard AR fire control parts on the lower. It's pretty light and I could see myself shooting coyotes or hogs with it and generally just having fun.

Is it the be-all and end-all? Of course not, especially until I sort out the FTFs, but it's a very likeable rifle. If you want to thumb your nose at Maryland's stupidity when it comes to firearms laws, perhaps you'd like to go and get one over the counter in a cash-and-carry deal.

More to follow after reliability testing.

Irons

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Assuming the pistol in on the MD hangun roster and can be transferred into MD there are FFLs here who will fire the weapon and submit the shell casing to MSP. For an additional fee of course.

CAn't speak for SoMD but several up near Baltimore will do it.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. This may be a dumb question, but if I want an ak pistol I am assuming it would have to be shipped with a fired shell casing. Does anyone know of any online retailers of ak pistols that could accommodate the needs of a Maryland resident?

A1 will transfer your gun and provide the fired shell casing.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    can't remember if it was mentioned, but the ARAK-21 and the Mutant both should be GTG.

The mutant being the more accurate of the two, the ARAK being the more reliable and cleaner running.

Both have nitrided barrels, which I approve of, but the ARAK has nitrided rails, and the entire BCG, which is heavily based on the AK's long stroke design is also melonited.

Really cool idea, and quite accuate with the right ammo, just not as accurate as a DI gun like the mutant.

Plus you can put a folding stock on the ARAK, the buffer tube is not necessary

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom