• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Hi Riss, + 1 for the rem pss, I have one that shoots 5/8 min. With fed. 168 mk's. Its hard to go wrong with the 700 platform. If you look at custom sniper/tactical rifles 80 % are built off of the 700.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I went with a Remington 700. Converting to an F-Class TR rifle. I have glass, mount, rings, bipod ready. Waiting on a new stock and my final stock will be here hopefully by the end of this year.

I actually have several .308 rifles. But my R700 is the only bolt action. The rest are semi-auto.

Matt

jcass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 21, 2012
    gambrills , maryland
    Thank you for the info and the offer.

It is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 with First Focal Plane - As for the website I purchased that stock from Midway. Stocky Stocks has a ton of rem 700 stocks. Keep in mind the cost of a stock + detach mag + bedding etc ... is pretty costly. The AICS (the stock i have) goes for 500 - 1000 with bottom metal and needs no bedding. Great stock IMO.

If you want more info or want to shoulder the stock and see how you like it ergonomically PM me

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    AF whats the benifits to not running a trigger gaurd. I have only seen that a few times in the past.

hell if i know; the 308 was photographed before the bottom metal had been delivered, and the 7SAUM was ordered as an ADL and I had to inlet it for the BDL bottom metal of a model seven. took the pic before doing so to get an idea what it would look like is all. just never took a new one lol.

ETA: I stand corrected; here's some photos of the Seven with dead things.

doedown.jpg

threelittlepiggies.jpg

While it's not the lightest rifle around, it's plenty light for the caliber, and I definitely wouldn't want it lighter for a magnum like this. Toying with doing a 260 or 7-08 in a Ti stock (B&C makes it) and a #1 pacnor or something like that. should be in the 6-6.5ish area all up.

Robert Avery

Sep 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    If you are a Hunter then go with any of the previous mentioned. If you want something a little better I would suggest getting a Desert Tactical SRS chassis with a 308 barrel conversion. These are sub moa and compact in design as they have a Bull pup chassis and if you get the itch to go bigger they have around 7 different calibers that can be had that will fit the SRS Chassis. I have one in 300 WinMag with a Grizzly Break and it is Fantastic!

mr bullseye

bullseye
    Nov 1, 2012
    New Midway
    If you want a good hunting rifle and super-accurate bench rifle, go with the weatherby vangaurd S2 in 308 win or 300 win mag, they are completely weather-proof have a factory 2stage trigger, an awsome action thats super smooth, and a total tack-driver.

I have one in 300 win mag and with a cheap 3-12 scope with factory ammo are shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yd's and with my custom loads that I reload for it got my groups down to about a 1/2" and the gun is garanteed to shoot sub-MOA groups out of the box.
    So for about $600 new and can be found for around $450 used, you cant beat them. and if you reload and want an awsome hunting load for a 308 win, I cooked up a load that drops every deer dead in their tracks and I got the same for a 300 win mag too if you want the recipe I'll pm them to you

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I want something that is going to last a long time. I would say that it would get shot alot.The added weight, would it be more than 2 pounds? I like the remington 700 and know they have a good rep.

Get yourself a CZ 550 and be happy for life. Accurate as hell and built like a tank w/o too much weight. Very easy triger to work on. Comes with a single set trigger and true Mauser action. Can be had in a wide variety of formats from hunting to sniper. Do yourself a favor and break from the pack mentality. Not going to find one in mnay LGS but research them. You'll be impressed.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If you want a good hunting rifle and super-accurate bench rifle, go with the weatherby vangaurd S2 in 308 win or 300 win mag, they are completely weather-proof have a factory 2stage trigger, an awsome action thats super smooth, and a total tack-driver.

I have one in 300 win mag and with a cheap 3-12 scope with factory ammo are shooting 3/4" groups at 100 yd's and with my custom loads that I reload for it got my groups down to about a 1/2" and the gun is garanteed to shoot sub-MOA groups out of the box.
    So for about $600 new and can be found for around $450 used, you cant beat them. and if you reload and want an awsome hunting load for a 308 win, I cooked up a load that drops every deer dead in their tracks and I got the same for a 300 win mag too if you want the recipe I'll pm them to you
    The Vanguard is a Howa 1500 built in Japan. I have a Howa in 308 I built for precision competition/hunting. Heavy fluted varmint barrel with a Hogue stock. Going to change to a B&C tactical stock eventually. Saw a nice Vanguard in 300 Win Mag at Hendershots couple of months back. First thing I did was put in the magazine conversion and get 1-5 and 1-10 round mag for it.

On_Target

Feb 7, 2013
    Tss1004 said it best. That is an eloquent analysis and factualy accurate. I agree thoroughly and I would endorse the same rifle as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom