• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ive been in the market for a 308. My question is are they all the same. I was looking at the remington 700 then saw the ruger american and then savage came out with the hog hunter. I want one that is going to last. Any thoughts on 308s. Are they all built the same as far as parts. Metal/Plastic parts. easy to work on?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Commercial .308win rifles should have SAAMI spec chambers. The rifles may have different features such as wood or synthetic stocks, style of the stock, different triggers, with or with out sights, barrel length and so on.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    what do you plan on using it for? hunting-type rifles will heat up quicker (thus degrading accuracy faster) than a fat-barreled tactical-type rifle. the tradeoff of course is weight, which isn't that great if you're carrying it around the woods and such.

the ruger should work fine if you don't plan on doing much if any work to it and just want a rifle that you can put a scope on and enjoy 3 rounds at time for a good long time.

the 700 and/or the savage will have a MUCH better aftermarket for when you get the itch to tinker.....and you will.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    I have the ruger american .308 its very nice for the price have a nikon prostaff 4-12 on it. Also the adjustable trigger is a plus! 3-5 lbs if im not mistaken

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Buy a Remington 700 SPS - Shoots true out of the box and has a tremendous amount of upgrade options

Below are 3 staged pics, one how i got it, then the breakdown, and last how it looks and is setup right now.

Get the 700 and never look back =)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      55 KB · Views: 458
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      82 KB · Views: 464
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 458

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    IF you want a hunting rifle, get the Remington 700 or Savage.
    Both are extremely accurate and will last a lifetime! (I'm not a Ruger fan, but, a friend bought a Ruger "American" in .308 and took it to Nebraska, hunting, and killed 3 deer with it!)

IF you want a rifle to shoot 'from the bench' or for long range 'plinking', get the HB (heavy-barreled) version of the Remington 700 SPS or SPS AAC-SD.
    But! Be prepared for some added weight.
    My 700 SPS AAC-SD with mount/rings/scope is right at 10 lbs.

A good friend of mine took a look at it last week, and commented on how many 'bearers' do I have to 'tote that thang' around for me!?!?!!?!?:lol2:
    (It will put a bunch of shots into one jagged hole at 100 yards, though!)

jcass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 21, 2012
    gambrills , maryland
    KrisM what optic are you running , I recently purchased the same rifle. Also whats the website where I can ckeck out that stock..or other After market stocks.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    without scope, but with empty seekins bottom metal, this one's around 12.5-13 pounds:

308Artsy.jpg

note there's no bipod in that configuration either. ;)

this one, on the other hand, tips the scales at just a hair over 7 pounds, and that's with three in the magazine and a sling. (don't know why the BM wasn't installed for the photo....)

seven_swirly.jpg

(it's not .308, but you get the idea)

plenty of options to be anywhere from 6 pounds all up with optic and rounds in the belly, all the way to 15 pounds. or more, if you like.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Buy a Remington 700 SPS - Shoots true out of the box and has a tremendous amount of upgrade options

Below are 3 staged pics, one how i got it, then the breakdown, and last how it looks and is setup right now.

Get the 700 and never look back =)

I cant stop drooling

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Both the 700 and the Savage are good options. You'll find most people prefer the 700 action, and the SPS is a very popular choice.

I have .308's in every configuration imaginable. It is my favorite caliber. Though I won't divulge the quantity, I will say that I have about equal quantities of Remington and Savage though slightly favoring the Savages.

I've found savages to be extremely accurate out of the box and IMHO overall slightly more accurate than the 700's. However, most precision smith's prefer working on the 700 action and I don't blame them. There is more aftermarket support for the 700, though the Savage is a close second.

I like savages because I can and have rebarrelled them. Bolts are easy to work on, and find parts for. If you ever have a stuck case and break your bolt arm, a savage you can replace just the arm. A remington bolt will either need to be welded or replaced.

The accu-trigger is the best standard factory trigger out there IMHO. The x-mark isn't bad, but you have to be very careful if you ignore the factory warnings and adjust them yourself. The x-mark pro, USUALLY sucks, though I've seen some work okay. I buy timney or jewell triggers for my precision 700's instead of dicking with the xmark.

My favorite All-Around Rifle is a Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter in .308. It's light, handy, good compromise between heavy barrel and sporter weight, doesn't string like a normal hunting rifle with sustained fire, comes with backup irons, does well offhand, fits both tactical and sporter short action aftermarket Savage stocks.

I killed a lot of deer with that gun this year. I've shot a lot of steel with it out to 500 yards. Overall, it is my belief that this rifle will satisfy most users need for an all-around .308.

I have 5R milspecs, PSS, ADL Varmints, VTR, SPS. I also have Savage 10's, 12's, 11's, etc. Since finding the Hog Hunter, I've shot them all a lot less.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    KrisM what optic are you running , I recently purchased the same rifle. Also whats the website where I can ckeck out that stock..or other After market stocks.

It is a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 with First Focal Plane - As for the website I purchased that stock from Midway. Stocky Stocks has a ton of rem 700 stocks. Keep in mind the cost of a stock + detach mag + bedding etc ... is pretty costly. The AICS (the stock i have) goes for 500 - 1000 with bottom metal and needs no bedding. Great stock IMO.

If you want more info or want to shoulder the stock and see how you like it ergonomically PM me

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    Hmm Choose what best suites what you need it for the Ruger as i stated is very cost effective and an all around nice rifle look at the reviews for it!
    photo6_zps46b8b4bd.jpg

Figured i would share :)
    Ignore the cats but and the jug my daughter dropped lol

outlaw

Apr 29, 2012
    Ocean Pines
    Savage and remington have always been very accurate, that accutrigger is nice too. I've been dissapointed with the new rem 1187's and went to benelli recently. not sure if the quality of the 700 is like it used to be.

‘People sleep peacefully in their beds because strong men stand ready to do violence upon those who would harm them’

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom