• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Comparing the price of the Federal GM308M2 175 Gr. Sierra Match rounds with the American Ballistics M118LR 7.62 175 Gr. Long Range Sniper rounds its about twice as expensive to shoot the Federal. Are the Federal rounds really all that to justify the price difference? I've had good results with the Federal as that's all I've used in the F-Class shoots but if the M118LR can keep up I'd like to switch.

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of both rounds?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    I'd like to tag along and "ditto" on this one. The M118LR is available at:
    http://usarmorment.com/m118lr-762-175-gr-long-range-sniper-ammunition-100-rounds-p-1.html

$118/100. Not bad and I'm curious.

Don't forget the Fiocchi 168gr Exacta Match. Inexpensive and .663" at 100yds in my inexperienced arms. $27/20at midway. My experience with the Fiocchi Exacta:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=25796

I've got some Hornaday Match 168gr coming in tomorrow that I hope to try out this weekend...

Hope to hear some additional feedback on the M118LR 175gr as well. I hope to get into some F-class matches in the Spring and would like to start base-lining with what I train with.

Mark C.

MDCXD

Nov 27, 2008
    Mt. Airy
    I like the Federal gold better then the M118LR. But I'm not sure the price difference is worth it. That is why I had to start reloading.

S1gnal

Stereotype breaker
    May 2, 2008
    Central Maryland
    My last experience with m118LR was that when I ordered from US Armorment I got a mix and match of prvi bass and federal brass and it didn't shoot as consistent. So Until I get into reloading if I want accuracy I'll go Federal.

If I'm just at Hap baker or somewhere working on technique or just rec shooting then Ill use the M118LR because of the price.

glock_forty5

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2007
    My last experience with m118LR was that when I ordered from US Armorment I got a mix and match of prvi bass and federal brass and it didn't shoot as consistent. So Until I get into reloading if I want accuracy I'll go Federal.

If I'm just at Hap baker or somewhere working on technique or just rec shooting then Ill use the M118LR because of the price.

American Ballistics is now using their own brass. Talk to the guys at US Armourment, they will give you the details.

JT

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    if you're shooting for match quality you need match quality control ammo....

the M118 is good stuff for learning on, but the FGMM is that much better if you know what you're doing

i purchased 500rds of the M118 and ended up selling off more than 300 rds of it and started reloading. its probably good ammo for a M1A or AR10, but if you're really wanting quality i'd get black hills match or FGMM before i even looked at that stuff.

from their website ''has a 175 sierra matchking 'style' bullet'' not a 175 SMK but a replica...

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    Comparing the price of the Federal GM308M2 175 Gr. Sierra Match rounds with the American Ballistics M118LR 7.62 175 Gr. Long Range Sniper rounds its about twice as expensive to shoot the Federal. Are the Federal rounds really all that to justify the price difference? I've had good results with the Federal as that's all I've used in the F-Class shoots but if the M118LR can keep up I'd like to switch.

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of both rounds?

just buy a few boxes and try it out, make your own choice....

Imperial Pose

Feb 9, 2008
    Columbia
    I've used both in competition and would use whichever I have available at the time. Below is a cold bore 3-shot 100 yd group using FGMM 175 SMK's.

th_MOA03.jpg

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    if you're shooting for match quality you need match quality control ammo....

the M118 is good stuff for learning on, but the FGMM is that much better if you know what you're doing

+1

Also, the 168 is fine if your not going out to 1K, it has a tendency to destabilize at those distances. Remember that each rifle will shoot ammo differently, find one your rifle likes and run with it.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Jim at American Ballistics has had some minor difficulty with the various brass suppliers, and has used about 5 different headstamps in his M118LR loadings, including military Federal (LC), IMI, SSA, and Prvi.

He has now gone to his own brass, and the last batch I shot was extremely accurate IN MY RIFLE, which is the key to understanding the varying reviews you see above.

A lot of people swear by Black Hills or CorBon, but neither shoot well in my two precision .308s. The last batch of M118LR I shot (10 days ago) shot to the same POI in both guns as the FGMM 175s, and accuracy was just as good to 600 yards, the furthest I shot groups with it. Conversely, neither of my rifles like 155 Scenars at all, not factory loads, and not handloads with three powder types, while many people do quite well with them.

Jim also makes his own bullets. Those 175s more closely resemble a Berger than a Sierra, and he's not trying to copy the MatchKing. He just says it's similar because the same G1 BCs work for both bullets, which does indeed indicate similarity, but not necessarily design copying.

After shooting a 3" group at 600 yards with the M118LR, there is no place I would apply FGMM 175s that I wouldn't go with the M118LR.

Bottom line?:

Anyone looking at factory match ammo actually needs to invest some time & money in load testing. My results mean nothing to you and your setup, I can only tell you what worked/works for me. You'll be rewarded for your efforts, or, screwed if you're too lazy to work at it a little.

Get a selection of appropriate ammunition and just go see how it shoots in your rifle. Shoot some groups with it and compare.

American Ballistics loads 175s.
    Cor-Bon loads 155s and 175s.
    Black Hills loads 175s.
    Federal loads 175s.
    Hornady loads 168 A-Max (much better at long range than the 168 BTHP by any maker)
    Hornady also loads a 178 A-Max.

Other than the excellent 155 Scenar and the 168 A-Max, disregard the lighter bullets if you plan to shoot long.

Inside 600-700 yards, the 168s from BH and FC usually work well and can often be found discounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom