• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    What to do on a lousy rainy, cold evening? Make some Chili and corn bread, grab a Yeungling or two, oh...open up a couple of boxes that UPS left me today and have fun pimping out my new Remington 700 5R .308...

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2533.jpg
    That 'curiosity' stuff will get you killed one of these days...

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2545.jpg

UPS delivered today:
    Leupold Mk4 4.5-14x40 30mm LR/T
    Burris 30mm Tactical Rings
    Warne 20moa Steel Base
    Harris 6-9" Swivel Bipod

The rings are 0.5" (rail to bottom of tube) but are a little on the large size for the 40mm objective. I'll probably spring for a 50mm in a year or so. I hope the weather clears by Sunday as I'll take her to Sanners to zero in the Scope at 100yds. Chomping the bit....

Mark C.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Scopes must mounted for the individual if you want to maximize your comfort and success.

There is a three step process to it.

1: Check your length of pull. Better a tad long than a little short. If it is long, which rarely happens, the pad can be removed, the stock shortened, then the pad reinstalled. To make it longer, a recoil pad can replace the solid rubber buttplate of the 5R for another 1/2" to 3/4", or a slip-on pad over the existing rubber recoil pad can add up to an inch. Failure to set the length of pull will lead to an inconsistent firing hand position and produces inconsistent group centers. Shooters using a short stock can often shoot nice groups, but it's usually two clusters 1/2 MOA apart.

2: Check/adjust your comb height. Get down behind the gun, look through the scope and then close your eyes and relax. After 10-15 seconds, open your eyes and see where you are. Unless you have an uncommonly long face, the Picatinny rials system you have will be too high for your eye to be behind the scope with out muscle fatigue. Even adding an Eagle stock pack (my own preference) is sometimes not enough, and layers of self-adhesive insulating foam (Home Depot HVAC department) can be stuck together with the sticky sides against each other to add 1/8" at a time until it's correct. Another great product is Karsten's adjustable cheek piece, but it does require drilling the stock, which may not be desirable for some folks.

Failure to set the comb height to the correct level will introduce muscle strain, which causes reduced accuracy and muscle fatigue in the form of discomfort at the base of the neck and between the shoulders.

3: Set your eye relief. The base of the neck acts as a hinge, and the higher the comb, the further back your eye goes. For this reason, eye relief can only be correctly set after we have adjusted the comb height. With the variable scope set on maximum magnification (where eye relief is most critical), we can slide the scope back and forth until we see a full, clear circle through the scope.

Because we tend to subconsciously compensate for ill fit, again close your eyes and relax, then open your eyes to double check your setting.

If yo take the time to perform these adjustments correctly, it can make a very big difference in consistency, accuracy and how one feesl after a few hours opr all day behind the gun.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Dang Krucam, you just picked it up on Monday. You don't play around, do you?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Nice, have you boresighted that rascal in yet?

No and I don't plan to buy/use a boresight. I'll put 2 shots down at 25yds (pistol range), adjust and 2 more to be sure...move to 50yds, repeat, etc, etc....I figure 20 rds to get me zeroed at 100yds. This will of course be in coincidence with my 20-25 barrel break in routine...:innocent0

I'll then break out some of the good Federal GMM 168g stuff...just for the hell of it and put 3-5 rds of that down range at 100yd and start my log book in earnest.

Scopes must mounted for the individual if you want to maximize your comfort and success.

There is a three step process to it.

1: Check your length of pull. Better a tad long than a little short. If it is long, which rarely happens, the pad can be removed, the stock shortened, then the pad reinstalled. To make it longer, a recoil pad can replace the solid rubber buttplate of the 5R for another 1/2" to 3/4", or a slip-on pad over the existing rubber recoil pad can add up to an inch. Failure to set the length of pull will lead to an inconsistent firing hand position and produces inconsistent group centers. Shooters using a short stock can often shoot nice groups, but it's usually two clusters 1/2 MOA apart.

2: Check/adjust your comb height. Get down behind the gun, look through the scope and then close your eyes and relax. After 10-15 seconds, open your eyes and see where you are. Unless you have an uncommonly long face, the Picatinny rials system you have will be too high for your eye to be behind the scope with out muscle fatigue. Even adding an Eagle stock pack (my own preference) is sometimes not enough, and layers of self-adhesive insulating foam (Home Depot HVAC department) can be stuck together with the sticky sides against each other to add 1/8" at a time until it's correct. Another great product is Karsten's adjustable cheek piece, but it does require drilling the stock, which may not be desirable for some folks.

Failure to set the comb height to the correct level will introduce muscle strain, which causes reduced accuracy and muscle fatigue in the form of discomfort at the base of the neck and between the shoulders.

3: Set your eye relief. The base of the neck acts as a hinge, and the higher the comb, the further back your eye goes. For this reason, eye relief can only be correctly set after we have adjusted the comb height. With the variable scope set on maximum magnification (where eye relief is most critical), we can slide the scope back and forth until we see a full, clear circle through the scope.

Because we tend to subconsciously compensate for ill fit, again close your eyes and relax, then open your eyes to double check your setting.

If yo take the time to perform these adjustments correctly, it can make a very big difference in consistency, accuracy and how one feesl after a few hours opr all day behind the gun.

Great info Ed, I feel like my cheek needs to rise above the stock more than I care for, but this is only in my living room, sighting in as best as I can at this computer monitor which is 20 feet away. I'll know more when I go out to zero the scope, hopefully this weekend. The reach feels fine and natural.

I may be in the market for a cheek rest, or...buy a set of .25" rise rings. We'll see after the live vs dry fires this weekend!

Mark C.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    .663" !!!

I'm a recent re-convert to rifles, just Jones-ing to get out to Quantico perhaps next spring perhaps and have it "handed to me" when trying out an F-Class.

Today, following several days of breaking in my new 5R and tweaking on getting the scope sighted in, I decided on a beautiful 70 degree day to try her out at 100yds using Fiocchi Exacta Match 168gr instead of the UMC stuff I'd been using for the first 30 rds.

I'm still learning the technique, breathing, cheek and butt-hold stuff, but on my 2nd to last 3-shot group I got this:
    IMG_2553.jpg

I can only hope to improve this with better technique, but I'm liking it so far. 2/3moa and 50rds through the barrel and an inexperienced person on the trigger, yada, yada, yada...

I've yet to break out my Federal GMM.

I hope to make 100 yards as boring as hell as quickly as possible.

Mark C.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Keep in mind the 175gr stuff might not group as well at 100 yards because sometimes it doesn't stabilize quick enough. It will most often group better, in terms of MOA, at 150 yards +. Nice looking rig!!

krucam

Ultimate Member
    .404"

Great day at Sanners today. I was trying out Federal Gold Match 168, Hornaday 168, and M118LR 175. By far, my best 3-round group at 100 yards was with the Hornaday Match.

I'm still learning technique and the below group was with a bag below the stock which I just tried today...noob I know but as I said, still learning.

IMG_2597.jpg

Whoot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom