• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't doubt that he is legitimately scarred from what happened. But PTSD, like back pain or whiplash, is one of those nebulous afflictions that is hard to quantify or award a settlement against.

This ruling cuts both ways. The state should be held accountable for excessive use of force, at the same time this opens the door to frivolous lawsuits. Calling this particular lawsuit frivolous was jumping the gun on my part. But there WILL be such lawsuits in the future, at the taxpayer's expense.

Are you f'ing kidding me? You are sitting at your house with a buddy, watching the game, having a Bud. Suddenly a SWAT team comes in and shoots your buddy. They throw stun grenades, jump on you, mash your face into the floor, cuff you, and hit you in the head with a gun. People aren't going to be scarred by that? Your house is supposed to be a safe place, and the police are supposed to be there to protect you. All of those ideas are now turned upside down. Have you dealt much with PTSD? Clearly you haven't. I see cops who have PTSD from clean shoots.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Have you dealt much with PTSD? Clearly you haven't. I see cops who have PTSD from clean shoots.

Very little. If this is a million-dollar issue he should be compensated for, I believe you.

I just worry that like the medical field badly needs tort reform, civil lawsuits against the police could also get out of hand.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    City of Laurel had a bad SWAT raid years ago.
    More recently there was a home invasion by masked men dressed all in black.

I wouldn't want to have to make the split second decision at 2 in the morning deciding if these people are trying to kill my family or arrest me, especially since I have no reason to believe a SWAT team would be serving me a warrant.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    More recently there was a home invation by masked men dressed all in black.

I wouldn't want to have to make the split second decision at 2 in the morning deciding if these people are trying to kill my family or arrest me, especially since I have no reason to believe a SWAT team would be serving me a warrant.

In all likelihood, you will end up dead once the shooting starts. I'm gonna bet no LEO wants to be on a team that raids the wrong house and kills a family man in the middle of the night.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I don't doubt that he is legitimately scarred from what happened. But PTSD, like back pain or whiplash, is one of those nebulous afflictions that is hard to quantify or award a settlement against.

This ruling cuts both ways. The state should be held accountable for excessive use of force, at the same time this opens the door to frivolous lawsuits. Calling this particular lawsuit frivolous was jumping the gun on my part. But there WILL be such lawsuits in the future, at the taxpayer's expense.

I don’t see this as a problem. The police should absolutely be scared to use force and only use it when absolutely necessary. Not to mention that our entire war on drug flat out kills innocent people. The entire system is awful and since our police and politicians don’t give a crap about protecting our rights we will have to use the court systems to do it.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    More recently there was a home invation by masked men dressed all in black.

In all likelihood, you will end up dead once the shooting starts. I'm gonna bet no LEO wants to be on a team that raids the wrong house and kills a family man in the middle of the night.

Yep,

The default "start shooting" when someone breaks in the wee hours of the night, because you are in the kill zone either way (if you did nothing wrong).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I bet you are right, so that is why it is so damn important that officers actually do their investigation properly. After the fact, an oops is catastrophic. Kind of like an attorney screwing up on a large case or a death penalty case, a brain surgeon or heart surgeon screwing up, etc. I don't care took much if the garbage man has an oops, but there are some professions where an oops has huge ramifications for people.

Still waiting to see how the flash bang grenade under a crib matter goes down in Atlanta, I believe it was, where a toddler was extremely burned. From the sounds of it, the officers did not do their homework on that one. They had no clue that there were children in the house, and when they executed the sweep for the small time drug dealer, he wasn't even in the house. If he wasn't in the house, why the heck couldn't they have just grabbed him while he was returning to the house? Seems as though all too often, the answer is SWAT, instead of spending time on a stakeout observing what the heck is going on prior to the "invasion".

Did you happen to see the Maryland Governor SWAT reports that I posted in a thread in the Water Cooler? The trend is increasing in Maryland. Thing is, the statute that required the local police departments to report these numbers to the Governor, Public Safety section 3-507, expired in June and it was not renewed by the General Assembly.

I am fine with police catching the bad guys. Thing is, our Legislatures makes more and more people bad guys. Just stop and think about what SB281 did, and what it could have done. If a person that lawfully owns assault weapons moves here, and does not know that he has to register his firearms within 90 days of moving here, he becomes a criminal. The law as originally written, would have made a lot of Marylanders criminals for continuing to own a firearm without registering it.

At least they have gone a little in the other direction, making the possession of a small amount of pot a civil offense instead of a criminal one. You really have to wonder what life would be like in America if drugs were just legalized, we stopped filling prisons with drug related offenders, and the gangs lost a large amount of their cash flow.

A Cop's Experience Tells Him the Drug War is Doing More Harm Than Good:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...tion-heroin/GRq3TO2RwX3IWDYTjY8UPO/story.html

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    Still waiting to see how the flash bang grenade INTO a crib matter goes down in Atlanta, I believe it was, where a toddler was extremely burned. From the sounds of it, the officers did not do their homework on that one. They had no clue that there were children in the house, and when they executed the sweep for the small time drug dealer, he wasn't even in the house. If he wasn't in the house, why the heck couldn't they have just grabbed him while he was returning to the house? Seems as though all too often, the answer is SWAT, instead of spending time on a stakeout observing what the heck is going on prior to the "invasion".

FIFY

"...county officials have refused to pay the medical bills incurred by the family after their employees maimed the child..."

http://theantimedia.org/cops-maim-baby-with-grenade-blast-county-refuses-to-pay-medical-bills/

"...The police are investigating themselves in the case."

Boy, wouldn't it be nice if we could investigate ourselves for any accused wrongdoing... Nope.. I didn't do anything wrong... I'm free to go,,,
    What I hate, too, is that if a lawsuit is successful it comes at taxpayer expense. The money should come directly from the bank accounts, assets, and future earnings of the police involved.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    I don’t see this as a problem. The police should absolutely be scared to use force and only use it when absolutely necessary. Not to mention that our entire war on drug flat out kills innocent people. The entire system is awful and since our police and politicians don’t give a crap about protecting our rights we will have to use the court systems to do it.

This is the crux of the problem. We complain about welfare and Medicaid and Obamacare, but the "war on drugs" is the most failed public policy of our lifetimes. For decades we have incurred hundreds of billions of dollars of expense on enforcement and incarceration and lost countless lives, and it's easier today than ever to buy illegal drugs if you want them. Yet suggesting that we ease up on drug laws is like a third rail in politics. So depressing.

We wouldn't need as many SWAT teams and no-knock warrants, and LE wouldn't kill as many innocent citizens, if we figure a different and better way to deal with recreational drugs.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    ....and if you are going in with guns blazing, you better be 100% correct 100% of the time. There is no room for error.

This is what we expect from the banks and our money. We should also expect the same when it comes to our constitutional rights and our lives.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    Good. Maybe some of these jack booted thugs and their wise overloads will think twice when they are held personally responsible for their actions. Forget settlement which ends up being on the backs of the taxpayers. Put these power hungry, trigger happy goons and their bosses in the slammer!

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    OT

This is what we expect from the banks and our money. We should also expect the same when it comes to our constitutional rights and our lives.

Hate to break it to you. When you put money in the bank, it ain't yours anymore. You are considered an unsecured creditor. So, if the bank makes a bad bet, they can use your deposits to cover their losses.

It's called a "bail in". Check your depositors agreement.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Well it sort of happened in the case below. Mind you that the guy may have had the deck stacked against him: Black guy vs. Cop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Maye

Best action is not to move, let the cop/swat do their thing and then, if the entry was illegal or the warrant issued upon illegal evidence, you can sue the living hell out of the City/County/State.

:thumbsup: ....Yup......I could use the spare cash......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom