• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I do have a gut feeling that we will get a couple things through, and maybe even passed in the House. The antis are throwing some bones, and I'm guessing they may even think that if we get something like shell casings and bore locks, we might back off.

This isn't 2008 any more, Dear Legislators. Soon enough, it will be time to meet America.

I think the entire nation has about had enough with all this BS. Even my clients that are democrats are starting to grumble about taxes and welfare. My best friend, who was a democrat last I checked, was at the Hogan post election party and then he went to another Hogan dinner. I was SHOCKED. My wife saw the pic on Facebook and told me about it. I actually had to go to Facebook to see it for myself, and then posted something about it while I was there. His brother happens to be a member here and I know his parents are also gun owners.

As more and more people understand that personal responsibility is key to a healthy community. Everybody needs to be responsible for themselves. Granted, it is nice when others can help, but help should not be a foregone conclusion.

Likewise, everybody should be able to defend themselves unless they are frail, sick, or unable to for some other reason. To think that the police department can defend everybody in this nation is complete folly.

Anyway, I think 2014 was a wake up call for a lot of politicians in the nation. Saddest part of all of it, is that there is a crapload of work to be done everywhere to right this ship on 2A in this state and a lot of other matters in this state and the nation.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Those of you who want to diminish the participation of the 200-300 who showed up Tuesday need to realize something. 1. The weather was bad. Not that it alone scared people off, but it complicated schedules, especially those with kids. My kids were off. 2. Some find it more valuable to attend the hearings and days where our voices can be heard and testimony is documented. This would include me. It is nearly impossible for me to be in Annapolis for the 2A Tuesday festivities with my family schedule. 3. And this is my personal opinion. 2A Tuesday is relatively young. We have not been doing this at this level of organization very long and this year, there is nothing as drastic as last year that is driving interest or opposition.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Okay, so they didn't jump ship just the entire party did. My point was they will vote however it is necessarry to stay in office. Threaten their tenure and watch how fast they become enlightened.

Exactly. Brown ran a heavy ad campaign about how Hogan is pro assault weapons leaning against trees in the neighborhood and leaning against playground equipment at schools, and Brown was shown the door. Just enough pro 2A people might have been pissed off with FSA2013 to get them to show up at the polls and swing the tide. Granted, I think a lot more was involved, but the 2nd Amendment BS might have been a factor. We know for sure it was a factor in a couple of recall elections in Colorado.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Those of you who want to diminish the participation of the 200-300 who showed up Tuesday need to realize something. 1. The weather was bad. Not that it alone scared people off, but it complicated schedules, especially those with kids. My kids were off. 2. Some find it more valuable to attend the hearings and days where our voices can be heard and testimony is documented. This would include me. It is nearly impossible for me to be in Annapolis for the 2A Tuesday festivities with my family schedule. 3. And this is my personal opinion. 2A Tuesday is relatively young. We have not been doing this at this level of organization very long and this year, there is nothing as drastic as last year that is driving interest or opposition.

There was nothing very drastic last year that drove participation either. The rally in 2013 was because of SB281/FSA2013. Last year, 2014, was the first 2A Tuesday after the 2013 rally. This year, 2015, was the second 2A Tuesday. As more and more people start to put this event on their calendars, participation should get better.

zich6

Apr 10, 2012
    Germantown
    There was nothing very drastic last year that drove participation either. The rally in 2013 was because of SB281/FSA2013. Last year, 2014, was the first 2A Tuesday after the 2013 rally. This year, 2015, was the second 2A Tuesday. As more and more people start to put this event on their calendars, participation should get better.

I didn't attend because my "good and substantial reason" is a current threat and I refuse to disarm. I'm not sure how many permit holders feel the way I do, but I'm likely not the only one.

As to the atmospheric conditions, I'm from upstate NY. Tuesday was swimming weather.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Actually, in 2013 we did a LOT more than people realize. Get the initial version of SB281 and compare it to the final version. In the initial version we had mandatory registration and a true AWB ban. Those are just a couple of things. Yes, it is still a steaming pile. Nobody argues that. Go to your LGS and check out the goodies there which are still MD legal. If we didn't fight, we would all be looking at tactical lever actions.....

The fact is that if we had done nothing in 2013 and just the mental health portion had stayed in tact, most of us here would likely be declared far too nuts to own firearms. Heaven help you if you had a PBJ for anything. If you dont think we made a difference, you are misinformed. If we don't push back, the antis can and will take free rein.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks the actions taken by gun/freedom rights advocates in MD for 2013 (and prior years as well) didn't matter is mistaken. The initial bills were far worse than what ended up passing.

The chair of the Senate Judicial Proceedings is Bobby Zirkin not Jamie Raskin

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=cmtepage&tab=subject7&id=jpr&stab=01

Correct, thank you.

Looks like most of the Senate gun bills will be heard 3/12. Not an exhaustive search, just a quick eyeball.
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=cmtepage&stab=03&id=jpr&tab=subject3&ys=2015RS

Looks like the House bills fall on 3/10.
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...dpage&id=0&stab=03&tab=subject2&ys=2015RS#jud

Thanks!

I do have a gut feeling that we will get a couple things through, and maybe even passed in the House. The antis are throwing some bones, and I'm guessing they may even think that if we get something like shell casings and bore locks, we might back off.

This isn't 2008 any more, Dear Legislators. Soon enough, it will be time to meet America.

Exactly. Many of those who passed anti-gun/freedom legislation in the past are no longer in office. Of the officials who remain, some had very close elections. I am betting and hoping that the close elections will sway some votes this time around :) We shall see...

Who is who?
    House:
    Valerio - Chair of the House Judicial proceedings committee when the "Firearms Safety Act of 2013" passed, and is still Chair.
    Dumais - cosponsor of the House version of the "Firearms Safety Act of 2013". Vice Chair of the House Judicial proceedings committee when that bill passed, and is still Vice Chair.

Senate:
    Zirkin and Raskin were both cosponsors of the "Firearms Safety Act of 2013", and Gladden was Vice Chair of the House Judicial Committee when it passed.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

Salient point indeed. I still am confounded Illinois did a total 180 , and that is my only bright spot to cling to for Maryland hopes. People tend to be complacent verse the state on near any issue, until the shit hits the fan, as witnessed with the FSA2013. There are just so so few people of Maryland that care about their right to carry, unfortunate. I would be willing to imagine that in many of the shall issue states, that if put to referendum some may be surprised. We only have the Constitution, Judges & lawyers to hang our hat on.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I didn't attend because my "good and substantial reason" is a current threat and I refuse to disarm. I'm not sure how many permit holders feel the way I do, but I'm likely not the only one.

So you did not go because you already have a Maryland permit? I would suspect many permit owners feel that way, privilege is something many wish not to surrender to the unwashed.

Mr H

Banana'd

Prudent move legally, but the funny thing is that our groups draw near zero suspicion, so IMO it would have been a non-issue.

But, in any case, all support over the next couple months is encouraged in getting the ears of the GA.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Salient point indeed. I still am confounded Illinois did a total 180 , and that is my only bright spot to cling to for Maryland hopes. People tend to be complacent verse the state on near any issue, until the shit hits the fan, as witnessed with the FSA2013. There are just so so few people of Maryland that care about their right to carry, unfortunate. I would be willing to imagine that in many of the shall issue states, that if put to referendum some may be surprised. We only have the Constitution, Judges & lawyers to hang our hat on.

2A Tuesday was not just about the right to carry, and showing up in Annapolis is not just about the right to carry.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Folks, The legislative session is not JUST about carry permits, it is about the shell casing law, the HQL, the AWB list, training requirements, hunting days and locations, the list goes on.

For those of you that are focused on carry, may I suggest you take a step back and refocus your vision. See the big picture, there are many facets to those that are a part of the firearms community, but the one foundation all of those facets hold is the Second Amendment. Without it as the foundation, none of the facets would be possible.

Anyone can feel free to support their own facet of the community, but do not neglect or ignore the facets besides yours, lest the foundation crumble and it all falls apart.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    So you did not go because you already have a Maryland permit? I would suspect many permit owners feel that way, privilege is something many wish not to surrender to the unwashed.
    Try reading what he wrote. The threat that got him a permit is real and current concern. He did not feel comfortable disarming as required. You sound just like the MSP and the review board when deciding if someone's claim of apprehended danger is real or not to their liking. And yes, there were quite a few permit holders that I know of in the crowd.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Folks, The legislative session is not JUST about carry permits, it is about the shell casing law, the HQL, the AWB list, training requirements, hunting days and locations, the list goes on.

For those of you that are focused on carry, may I suggest you take a step back and refocus your vision. See the big picture, there are many facets to those that are a part of the firearms community, but the one foundation all of those facets hold is the Second Amendment. Without it as the foundation, none of the facets would be possible.

Anyone can feel free to support their own facet of the community, but do not neglect or ignore the facets besides yours, lest the foundation crumble and it all falls apart.

The spent shell casing requirement is really odd. I read that 26 convictions used shell case matches as part of evidence? So I'm at a NRA gun class, and the instructor promises all the casings are tossed in a big barrel never to be seen again. This is the kind of misinformation that goes around earning gun rights people the "nut" title. So if the 26 cases are true, or "somewhat" true, may be hard convincing people to get rid of it, especially when trying to tell people they are never used. Then the story changes, oh well they didn't need the brass for the conviction, OK so what, the counter is it solidifies the conviction. Making claims that are not true just destroys credibility of sane arguments. I don't really consider hunting regulations fit squarely in to a gun rights issue. My first thought about hunting days, locations etc. are anti hunting people, be it gun or bow.

Mr H

Banana'd
    The spent shell casing requirement is really odd. I read that 26 convictions used shell case matches as part of evidence? So I'm at a NRA gun class, and the instructor promises all the casings are tossed in a big barrel never to be seen again. This is the kind of misinformation that goes around earning gun rights people the "nut" title. So if the 26 cases are true, or "somewhat" true, may be hard convincing people to get rid of it, especially when trying to tell people they are never used. Then the story changes, oh well they didn't need the brass for the conviction, OK so what, the counter is it solidifies the conviction. Making claims that are not true just destroys credibility of sane arguments. I don't really consider hunting regulations fit squarely in to a gun rights issue. My first thought about hunting days, locations etc. are anti hunting people, be it gun or bow.

If I'm thinking of the same things you're hearing, those casings were actually recovered at crime scenes and matched to known casings from recovered firearms.

The ones tossed into barrels (yeah... believe it or not) haven't solved a damned thing.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    If you knew what you were talking about, you'd be dangerous. There has been testimony before the GA validating the fact that the software and hardware for the shell casing identification no longer exists. Please explain how 26 crimes were solved with non existent equipment. The statement about destroyed credibility due to making claims that are not true also applies to your assumptions.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    If I'm thinking of the same things you're hearing, those casings were actually recovered at crime scenes and matched to known casings from recovered firearms.

The ones tossed into barrels (yeah... believe it or not) haven't solved a damned thing.

While I may be wrong, I believe the whole "casings in barrels" is not actually the case and was just a way for people to vent. Every fired shell casing is logged and placed in an envelope. When they get 10 envelopes, they rubber band them together. They then get put into boxes, etc. The thing about the shell casings is that even now, they can't necessarily match a known fired casing to the original one on file. As Delegate Howard stated on Tuesday, the MSP tried to solve a Paper Murder, using a MSP firearm (yes, they are in the database also). Not only could they not match to the original casing on file, they couldn't even match two casings fired consecutively! The system is unreliable at best.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    We had people in the hearing last year when the MSP testified/admitted under oath that the machine they had to catalog and analyze the casings never really worked, and that it had been sold. Still collecting brass to deposit in a barrel for future what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom