• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clutchNthrottle

Deadpooligan
    Feb 2, 2012
    Harford
    And all this is coming on after walmart removes 22lr from its online system so they've made it harder to know when they have it available.

And they've recently stopped carrying "modern sporting" rifles from all the stores that used to stock them... citing "lack of sales". I can see a day when they decide to stop carrying ammo all together.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    that's my prediction.

firearms today.

ammo tomorrow.

Meh, never had much luck trying to get ammo at my local WM anyway. Most of the ones around here stopped carrying firearms a long time ago anyway. So other than cheap lump charcoal, I have no reason to visit the people of Walmart.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I'm wondering if it's this "perspective" that helped cause the shortage in the first place.
    Why is "now the time to stock up"? Are you concerned that the new administration will ban all .22LR ammo?
    Are you afraid of a SHTF scenario in which .22LR will be the caliber of choice? :D

Yeah, I'm kidding but I still don't get it.
    Why .22LR when I can buy just about any other caliber in bulk all day long.

Um this isn't my "perspective". This is the likely reality of what will happen.

Considering 4 our of 5 democrat presidential candidates are vehemently anti gun and some of the top republican contenders are flaky on the 2A.

It is foolish at best to deny that there will be a run on guns/ammo as we get closed to election day in 2016. (Which could likely become extended/worse if a democrat is elected (or possibly on of those flaky republicans) and possible changes in the congressional makeup)

So it would be smart to stock up on all ammo/calibers now when prices/supply are stabilizing rather than during the next "panic".

We also do not know when the next shooting might be enough to tip things over the edge. (or at least get people worried enough to cause a panic)

Just look at all that has transpired since sandy hook at the federal and state levels. Hell even during this relatively "calm" period walmart still sold us out.

The point isn't to hoard or buy to resell but to stock up enough to be able to wait out a short term panic and the scalping that tends to go with it.

Remember what the ammo manufacturers have said over the past ~2.5 years. They will run their equipment full time/24-7 but wouldn't invest in more equipment (for increased production capacity) or ammo production plants. They said that the market would not sustain it. I don't know how true that last statement is, but assuming the manufacturers did not make those changes they probably won't be able to cope with another panic.

Which means you will be SOL if you are looking for factory ammo during the next panic or haven't stocked up on reloading components if you happen to do that.

If anyone isn't prepared for the next event resulting in ammo shortage, shame on them.

So basically everyone then? How else can you explain the .22lr shortage?

Also you have to consider that some people are waiting for X ammo to be available at a certain price point (not an unreasonable one) and may inadvertently be caught up in a "panic" while they were waiting things out.

One final addendum

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...he-greatest-gun-salesman-in-american-history/

You can look at the calculated increase from 2008 to the present. Combine that with the increased number of gun owners/shooters and the demand for ammunition will continue to be high. So act accordingly.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    .0647 per round is scalping ?

Some people will not be happy until MiniMags are 2 cents per round.

Which was what they cost in the 70s, when salaries were MUCH lower.

Based on inflation alone, 2 cpr in 1978 would be 7.56 cpr now.

So 6.5 cpr is actually a good price.

But some people just can't see that.

For reference, in 1978 a postage stamp was 15 cents. Bread was 33 cents a loaf, milk was $1.44 a gallon, and gas was 77 cents per gallon. A median house was $62K and a median income was $15,000 per year.

Yeap, I expect .22 LR to be 2 cents per round. NOT.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011

For reference, in 1978 a postage stamp was 15 cents. Bread was 33 cents a loaf, milk was $1.44 a gallon, and gas was 77 cents per gallon. A median house was $62K and a median income was $15,000 per year.

Well that was the price for golden bullets, not exactly minimags.

I don't think it is unreasonable to want minimags priced at 8-10 cents per round.

Nobody in their right mind is expecting any .22lr to go for 2 cents per round. 5 cents seems to be the lowest threshold from the various people I talk to.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

eh, im not sure its that bad. I think its more along the lines of a brick of golden bullets was 24.99 or so a few months ago and now its 34.99.

like a third more of the price in a few months, that's not inflation. I think that's what has everyone like WTF...

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    And they've recently stopped carrying "modern sporting" rifles from all the stores that used to stock them... citing "lack of sales". I can see a day when they decide to stop carrying ammo all together.

Then maybe our local gun stores will be the only game in town. I think it will be refreshing going into your local gun store, shooting the breeze with the guy/gal behind the counter, paying for, then walking out with a brick of 22LR ammo.

That's so early 70's. :thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well that was the price for golden bullets, not exactly minimags.

I don't think it is unreasonable to want minimags priced at 8-10 cents per round.

Nobody in their right mind is expecting any .22lr to go for 2 cents per round. 5 cents seems to be the lowest threshold from the various people I talk to.

Remember, this was a reply to people saying that 6.5 cpr for Golden Bullets was WAY too high.

And yes, read the threads here, there are people that are waiting for 2 cpr to return.

bama47

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 9, 2013
    Marylandistan

Like these last few posts have pointed to....you're missing the point entirely.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Like these last few posts have pointed to....you're missing the point entirely.

Huh?

It may not sound like much like that but that brick should be more than 23.99

Did you mean "SHOULDN'T BE"?

Based on what?

What YOU want to pay?

Do you know their cost? Do you know how much it costs for Rem to MAKE that box?

As I said, 2 cpr in 1978 is about 7.5 cpr now, just based on inflation. So 6.5 cpr is NOT a bad price.

And 4.5 cpr ($23.99 for a 525 box) is probably under their cost today.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I have found 22LR at every DSG that carries ammo latey, Gander Mountain in Winchester had 22LR in stock last Sunday, but it was more than DSG prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom