• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    No luck this week in WVa. Chased a gobbler all around the farm one morning. Second day I called a group into 75 yards but they hung up in those woods for 2 hours. Gobbling, yelping, fighting. Just wouldn't come to the field edge. Walked into the woods and scared them off.

Frustrating as hell, but so much fun.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One of the youngins killed one on state land here on the peninsula.
    Got lucky and said he was there only 7 minutes.
    I’ll probably find out later he was at my blind this morning.
    :spank:If he was.

We had a tom gobbling on the roost, off in the distance(not our land) first thing. I wanted to see what he did once off the roost before trying to call. He shut up as soon as he flew down, which hinted that he was with hens. We did have some hens come our way at first light, but no toms in tow.

Later, after moving to a new section of woods, we didn't turn up anything right away, so I started teaching my buddy some calling techniques. While that was going on, we raised a gobbler. Unfortunately, I think he may have caught one of us moving back to our tree, and after a half hour of cat and mouse, he moved off. That's where our morning ended. We probably heard 3 turkeys gobble today, so they are still around and still looking for dates.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    :spank:If he was.

We had a tom gobbling on the roost, off in the distance(not our land) first thing. I wanted to see what he did once off the roost before trying to call. He shut up as soon as he flew down, which hinted that he was with hens. We did have some hens come our way at first light, but no toms in tow.

Later, after moving to a new section of woods, we didn't turn up anything right away, so I started teaching my buddy some calling techniques. While that was going on, we raised a gobbler. Unfortunately, I think he may have caught one of us moving back to our tree, and after a half hour of cat and mouse, he moved off. That's where our morning ended. We probably heard 3 turkeys gobble today, so they are still around and still looking for dates.
    Is it real overcast where your at?
    It’s a little cloud cover here and muggy with a good bit of fog this morning.
    Soon as I went up the road after posting this morning I saw a hen by herself crossing a small field into the woods.
    She didn’t have anything following her unless I just didn’t see them.
    The youngest said it was about 20 after seven when his showed up about the same time he did so I know he wasn’t out to awful early.
    Him and his bro were out late last evening building boardwalks in their sika woods wading around in some tidal gut up to their ass in water doing local redneck stuff, surprised he even went this morning.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Is it real overcast where your at?
    It’s a little cloud cover here and muggy with a good bit of fog this morning.
    Soon as I went up the road after posting this morning I saw a hen by herself crossing a small field into the woods.
    She didn’t have anything following her unless I just didn’t see them.
    The youngest said it was about 20 after seven when his showed up about the same time he did so I know he wasn’t out to awful early.
    Him and his bro were out late last evening building boardwalks in their sika woods wading around in some tidal gut up to their ass in water doing local redneck stuff, surprised he even went this morning.
    Same thing here, weather-wise. Finally got a gentle breeze, which was right on time. We picked up a swarm of gnats when we cut through the feed lot.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Got my butt kicked this morning. Had a few loud Tom's but the just would not cross onto my property.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Birds with hens , short version of story had one and hens come behind son about 5 yards ( hunting woods ) made a ruckus then they all walked away. Felt so bad for him.Hasnt harvested a bird yet , been back into hunting about 4 years now .( kids &life ) thought it was gonna happen .good to be back out with him.

Jasen

Molon Labe
    Jul 30, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I’m out looking around for birds today with no luck as usual. I went to Gwynnbrook in Baltimore county with nothing so far. I don’t do any scouting before hand. I think that’s my problem.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I’m still huntin.
    No action yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1643.jpeg
      IMG_1643.jpeg
      569.9 KB · Views: 16

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    When out this morning with my son.
    At daybreak this morning we had 2 gobbling their heads off. They were roosting on a neighboring property. I was able to call one of the birds across the lane and up a steep hill towards us. My son was able to get a shot, but was off his mark this morning, and missed.

Jasen

Molon Labe
    Jul 30, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Oh man, that stinks. But good for him at least getting to take a shot and hearing a couple birds. There’s a lot of worst ways to spend your morning. I’m gonna try and hit up a couple places around Liberty watershed in a few weeks when I get back from California.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Oh man, that stinks. But good for him at least getting to take a shot and hearing a couple birds. There’s a lot of worst ways to spend your morning. I’m gonna try and hit up a couple places around Liberty watershed in a few weeks when I get back from California.
    Yep, it definitely stinks. But you are absolutely correct, even with it not working out the we planned we still had a great morning together. Sure beats a day at work!
    Good luck, when you return.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I had two close calls ,but wasnt able to take a shot. Opening day, I had 3 toms on private property gobbling good ,but wouldnt cross the road to public grounds. While I was messing with those, I had a different one sneak in quietly behind me and caught me using a slate call. A couple putts and then it flew away.

On Friday , at 11 am , I heard one about 300 yards gobbling over and over. I close the gap and got within 100 yards from him and made some clucks. He instantly responded. I clucked two more times and he gobbled each time. I put my call away and got ready. He stopped gobbling and that usually means they are sneaking closer.. About 10 minutes later , I caught some movement, ,and there he was about 40 yards away, but he snuck around to my far right. I know you cant move on a turkey, but I had no choice but to try. He didnt spook out of there but he did leave.
    Yesterday I had two turkeys gobbling, but because of mountain laurel on the top side, boulders the size of a living room in the middle , and a swamp on the lower side I couldnt get close enough to work with them. I wasted an hour trying to get to them, then I gave up.
    Today I heard zero gobbles, packed up around 11 , then came home.
    I was hunting a new place for me and learned quite a bit about the area. Mostly where NOT to go. There is a lot of land out there that has zero turkey sign

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Yup. I always say, you can do the same thing five days in a row and the turkeys won't like it. All of a sudden, on the sixth day, they're trying to climb into your lap.

I really like this guy. He gives very good advice on turkey hunting...

Dale Outdoors

I have 3 favorite youtubers I watch and he is one of them. He really knows his stuff

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I was talking to my Buddy yesterday from Worcester.
    He said it’s covered up with them down there.
    Lots of action on state land and plenty of successful hunters.
    Someone else from the same area who’s not into hunting told me the same thing.
    Running all over the place rampant were his words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom