• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I've never seen a buck with antlers like that in Baltimore county.

Very nice.

If you're talking about the 11 pointer (a brow tine was missing) I need to say that one just like that walked by me a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know I could use a rifle and had my compound bow that day. The buck was just out of range but would've been an easy shot with one of my rifles. I'm holding out to see if I run into that buck again.

Report: I sat by the spot I saw the buck last night but didn't see anything. I heard a couple of shots nearby and a couple of guys brought in nice does. One small 8 point was in the back of a truck too. Yesterday the buck came by after someone shot a rifle but not today. The buck had a crazy non-typical rack.

I'm going by the deer camp early tomorrow to see what else came in.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Figure I'd post here too. My first deer ever. New ChillR is sweet. Put the carbon express mayhem right where that G5 montec could blow him out.

Attachments

• IMG_20151111_074600_419.jpg
      IMG_20151111_074600_419.jpg
      114.3 KB · Views: 252

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Report: I forgot to mention that the day before yesterday I had a huge doe in the sights of my 30-30 right at last light. I was standing on a dike next to a creek and it was on the edge of a cornfield that has just been plowed. I was alone and didn't want to deal with cleaning and dragging the deer by myself.

Yesterday I went for a couple of hours and did a scouting trip in the morning. I found a fresh scrape and saw why deer were coming to the area I have been sitting at. I heard several deer out in a field doing a lot of grunting but they stopped when I moved closer to the field.

I went to another spot and wanted to keep hunting but a huge cold front was moving through. It had been sprinkling for a couple of hours but then I started hearing thunder. I decided to get out of Dodge when it started raining hard. I barely made it out of the cornfield roads when the mother of all thunderstorms moved in with all kinds of lightning and hail.

That lasted for about three hours. I went south to Omaha to get some stuff and passed a couple of tornadoes by about 20 miles to the east of I-29. I drove under a wall cloud and thought I would see a tornado at any second! In Omaha things cleared up but they got bad when I went back up north. It got windy (an understatement- 60 mph gusts) and started snowing at about 9:00 PM. A big limb from a tree just missed my truck.

I may drive over and try again tonight.

Last edited:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Report: I forgot to mention that the day before yesterday I had a huge doe in the sights of my 30-30 right at last light. I was standing on a dike next to a creek and it was on the edge of a cornfield that has just been plowed. I was alone and didn't want to deal with cleaning and dragging the deer by myself.

Yesterday I went for a couple of hours and did a scouting trip in the morning. I found a fresh scrape and saw why deer were coming to the area I have been sitting at. I heard several deer out in a field doing a lot of grunting but they stopped when I moved closer to the field.

I went to another spot and wanted to keep hunting but a huge cold front was moving through. It had been sprinkling for a couple of hours but then I started hearing thunder. I decided to get out of Dodge when it started raining hard. I barely made it out of the cornfield roads when the mother of all thunderstorms moved in with all kinds of lightning and hail.

That lasted for about three hours. I went south to Omaha to get some stuff and passed a couple of tornadoes by about 20 miles to the east of I-29. I drove under a wall cloud and thought I would see a tornado at any second! In Omaha things cleared up but they got bad when I went back up north. It got windy (an understatement- 60 mph gusts) and started snowing at about 9:00 PM. A big limb from a tree just missed my truck.

I may dive over and try again tonight.

?

Are you in the west or something?

Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Report: Last day I was able to go hunting was last Thursday. It had rained the day before and most roads were too muddy to drive on.

I parked at a bridge on a paved road and walked down to the area I have been hunting.

I walked along a dike next to a creek that leads to the Missouri River. I flushed out three does from some brush next to a line of trees. They ran down towards the river bottom so I didn't think I'd see them again.

I saw a small doe on the other side of the dike but wasn't really interested in taking it. I just wanted to see if I could get a shot at a nice buck. I could've easily snuck along the other side of the dike and took the doe.

I walked almost to the end of the dike and saw another doe and her fawn feeding on a cornfield. I could've had an easy shot at either one of those also.

I went back to the truck and drove to my nephews place. I talked to him for awhile and drove off to go home. Right as I entered the road the truck stopped running. I had to walk back to my nephew's place and get help and a ride home.

My other nephew said he'd come up and help me but didn't. I got a message from another nephew that someone had broken into the truck.

It'll be a few weeks till I can get a permanent vehicle but for now I just want to get the truck towed back to my place so I can work on it. I still want to get a deer with my compound bow before the season's over and possibly one with my muzzle loader.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Up until last week things had been going pretty fantastically. I had just been going hunting every day and learning the area etc.

I had to replace part of the emissions on the truck's engine and really just threw it together in time to tow it back to my sister's place. I didn't even know if it would run for long when I started using it again. I'm thinking of just finding an engine with low miles on it and putting it in the truck.

Compared to the hunting in Maryland deer are relatively easy to get here. Finding the trophy buck would be a challenge but not as hard as back there.

Cost of living is way lower here so I'll probably be buying a house here in the near future.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I forgot to mention that I had taken my Marlin 30-30 with me on that last hunt. I had the last two deer right in my sights at about 30-40 yards.

I should be able to rent a car for the muzzleloader season that begins on Dec. 1st. Then I'll take a week off and come back east to buy a car (I have a place there that I trust and I also want to visit around a little).

I came back with the idea that I'd stay in the area a few years but with all the terrorist activity going on I may try to get a job working with the military/government combatting that- possibly overseas. I have worked as a military contractor for 22 years. We'll see.

I also am going to buy a Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum for hunting deer next year. I can also use it for home defense (with 38 Special ammo).

PS: I also got my button buck meat back from my butcher and put it in my freezer. I wanted to use the Foodsaver I got last year to vacuum seal the meat. I made the mistake of not opening it up right after I bought it at BPS. When I tried to hit the buttons on the side and open the top of the thing one side would not open.

I went to the local BPS and the girl at customer service was no help at all. She just said that I had waited too long for them to do anything. So I called Food Saver and some snotty dude talked to me. He was a PITB but he did say I'd be able to send the bad one back and get a new one.

Just be sure to test yours out as soon as you get it if you buy one of these.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    A winter storm is heading our way out here with freezing rain/ice on Thanksgiving Day. I'm laying low until next Monday or Tuesday. The muzzleloader season starts next Wednesday and I'm going to try to get a deer with it. I'm very confident on my success. I'm going to stake out the area I saw the trophy buck for the first few days.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I would but I don't have a vehicle right now. The rez is about twenty miles away. I'm going to rent a car for a week next Monday so I won't miss out on that week of hunting.

It started out with cold rain this morning then changed to sleet about a half hour ago and now it's snow. Wait...it just changed back to sleet! lol

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Well it's the last evening before gun hunting starts tomorrow. I let a lot of deer walk by this year in hopes of a big buck but I'm going to shoot something tonight. But will still give fawns and button bucks a pass. And momma if she has a couple babies with her.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    What happened? Did you range her wrong or just screw up the shot?

Yes...to both. They came running in from some distant fox chasers. I had no time to range and set my pin(HHA single pin sight) as they headed straight for me. My pin was set at 18yds. but, they caught me drawing at 25 yds and stopped. I didn't compensate for the extra yardage anticipating the deer to drop at the shot. She didn't.:shrug: Oh well. No jumping shots tomorrow.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom