• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I heard a bunch falling at my land the other day. Looks like another good acorn drop this season. I think I also jumped a deer in the brushy zone, heard some noise that was loud enough, it stopped, but I couldn't see it. Heard a squirrel hopping around. A couple little frogs plopped into the "pond". Bugs buzzing around my face. Average warm weather day there LOL.

Sounds like Heaven to me.:)

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I've got a climbing tree stand but have never used it because I didn't trust the safety belt that connects to the tether.

I'm going to make my own using high strength rope and using carabiners and prusik knots.

Thats what I do but I wear a climbing harness. It works great.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I've got a climbing tree stand but have never used it because I didn't trust the safety belt that connects to the tether.

I'm going to make my own using high strength rope and using carabiners and prusik knots.

For going up in my climber(which is 99% of my hunting), I use this. I love it. It's easy to use and quiet as all get-out.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety...1444345938&sr=8-3&keywords=tree+stand+harness

This is the part that wraps around the tree that you loosen and tighten as you ascend and descend. The 'beiner' clips onto you harness loop.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The guy on a hunting show demo'd his method. He used a safety rope with a Prusik knot that he uses on the way up. Then he transfers the carabiner to another Prusik knot on the tree tether.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Report:

I scouted another part of the river bottom today.

I found some real awesome spots close to the river with fresh trails. I'll hunt one of them tomorrow.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    For going up in my climber(which is 99% of my hunting), I use this. I love it. It's easy to use and quiet as all get-out.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety...1444345938&sr=8-3&keywords=tree+stand+harness

This is the part that wraps around the tree that you loosen and tighten as you ascend and descend. The 'beiner' clips onto you harness loop.
    I use that HSS line as well, much easier than the cheap buckle type when climbing. I refuse to use my climber without a harness.
    The guy on a hunting show demo'd his method. He used a safety rope with a Prusik knot that he uses on the way up. Then he transfers the carabiner to another Prusik knot on the tree tether.

The lifeline is for stands that are permanently set up because it only works once you have climbed to the top and set the lifeline up.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'm looking for a lighter and quieter treestand. I currently use an API Crusader. It's comfortable (as treestands go) and I've even added a cup holder to it. I added an improved waist band and belt to it, so it's actually not bad for walking long distances with. But it is kind of heavy-especially since I carry a little pack with me--and can be a little noisy getting set up. I think I can do better.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/API-Outdoors-Crusader-Climbing-Treestand/1373506.uts

Have any of you ever tried this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Wolf-Assault-Climber-Combo/dp/B004XEHSTA

Sean on Seans Outdoor youtube channel uses this one and it looks great.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptZnujX05K8

What do you guys like? Some of the spots I hunt are a 1-2 hour hike from the nearest road, so getting something lighter is important.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I bought some nylon rope of two different diameters yesterday. I tried them out when I got home and they'll work as a connection to my tree tether.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    Bucks are checking does out for status as of 10/10/15

Well, in Westernish Maryland, the bucks are scent checking does. A really cool little micro basket rack 8 pointer with neat looking mass was checking and hassling and chasing two does hardcore, right under my stand just before dark. The does were not ready and were not having it.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Well, in Westernish Maryland, the bucks are scent checking does. A really cool little micro basket rack 8 pointer with neat looking mass was checking and hassling and chasing two does hardcore, right under my stand just before dark. The does were not ready and were not having it.

This is sign of ''false rut'' It is a sign that the rut is about 28 days away. The first does will come in season right at the beginning of November, there-abouts.

EDIT: You will see young spikes and such type male deer shadowing/chasing does early(most times their mother or sister). This is when the mothers will run them off. When you notice that young buck is no longer with that group of does, we're getting close. When I notice a doe that has two button-bucks that year, I usually kill her. That way, she won't run the young bucks off(to avoid in-breading), And the young'ns stay in that locale and grow up there. A theory I believe in and have witnessed first hand.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    Yup, had 9 antlerless deer around me tonight and one button buck was trying to practice his moves on what may have been his sister she wasn't having and mama was running him off.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    No luck this weekend on public land.
    But I'm going back Friday with my son to take out some pesky squirrels.
    I was up Friday night and Saturday morning with bow. Switched to crossbow sat night. Only saw one deer while parking. I camped a spot that ha tracks when I was scouting this summer and saw some deer on this area. Tracks were not as plentiful as last year. I'm wondering if they are frequenting these woods just yet.

Attachments

• image-2786506657.jpg
      image-2786506657.jpg
      117.9 KB · Views: 147

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Went out this morning for the first time and I saw 5 does, one button buck, a basket 6, and 2 nice size bodied deer that did not come in but stayed in the thicket. So I must say it was a good morning and the weather was perfect. We did have one kid shoot a spike today.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I was in the national forest squirrel hunting/deer scouting on Saturday. I saw a lot of sign of deer, so I'm going to go back there for the muzzleloader season.

Acorn production this year is incredible. The last two years it was way down. This year, you can't go 20 yards without finding an oak tree dropping acorns everywhere. Needless to say, the squirrels were going nuts. We got a few.

My theory is that deer hunting will be better in the forested areas in years when acorns are plentiful, since they'll eat those instead of field crops. I've also read people saying when acorns are everywhere, hunting is harder since the deer are more dispersed. But it always seems like acorns are on or off. I rarely find a tree producing a lot of acorns when production is generally down.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I was in the national forest squirrel hunting/deer scouting on Saturday. I saw a lot of sign of deer, so I'm going to go back there for the muzzleloader season.

Acorn production this year is incredible. The last two years it was way down. This year, you can't go 20 yards without finding an oak tree dropping acorns everywhere. Needless to say, the squirrels were going nuts. We got a few.

My theory is that deer hunting will be better in the forested areas in years when acorns are plentiful, since they'll eat those instead of field crops. I've also read people saying when acorns are everywhere, hunting is harder since the deer are more dispersed. But it always seems like acorns are on or off. I rarely find a tree producing a lot of acorns when production is generally down.

As long as you realize acorns get eaten and deer find other sources of food elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom