• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Derwood, Do you have the furbearer stamp? You need one to kill fox.

I didn't when I saw it, but now I do in case it comes back. Thanks for the tip.

It looks like a good amount of rain is coming our way in the next few days. Do you all bow hunt in the rain?

Personally, I figure I've got more of a chance enjoying myself and getting a deer out in the rain than at the gym or on the couch, so I'm planning to test out my new rain gear on Friday and Saturday.

I've been watching some videos on still hunting with a bow. That's some real ninja, next level stuff. If the rain is steady and heavy, and I can get into one of the bedding areas I've located with the wind in my face, I think I'll try still hunting instead of climbing up a tree. Otherwise, it seems like the deer will often move and go graze in fields whenever the rain lets up for a few minutes, and if you're not up the tree then, you won't get one.

Certainly my biggest concern with arrowing a deer in the rain is having trouble tracking it. I definitely won't take a shot more than 25 yards.

So what do you guys like to do? Stay home? Tree stand? Still hunt?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I didn't when I saw it, but now I do in case it comes back. Thanks for the tip.

It looks like a good amount of rain is coming our way in the next few days. Do you all bow hunt in the rain?

Personally, I figure I've got more of a chance enjoying myself and getting a deer out in the rain than at the gym or on the couch, so I'm planning to test out my new rain gear on Friday and Saturday.

I've been watching some videos on still hunting with a bow. That's some real ninja, next level stuff. If the rain is steady and heavy, and I can get into one of the bedding areas I've located with the wind in my face, I think I'll try still hunting instead of climbing up a tree. Otherwise, it seems like the deer will often move and go graze in fields whenever the rain lets up for a few minutes, and if you're not up the tree then, you won't get one.

Certainly my biggest concern with arrowing a deer in the rain is having trouble tracking it. I definitely won't take a shot more than 25 yards.

So what do you guys like to do? Stay home? Tree stand? Still hunt?

I've had much better luck still hunting on clear, windy days than calm rainy ones. On rainy days I prefer to do a little snooping around or, maybe, move a tree stand if need be. the rain helps kill scent left during major operations like that. But that's just me. Good luck and have fun.:)

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    What do you guys think about the Ozonics thing?

I would save your money. I use a combination of scent killing laundry soap, scent killing spray, and scentless baking soda deodorant. On the first time this year I had a deer walk right under my stand then go completely down wind of me and never scent me. On the other time I've been out this year I had my 5 and 10 year old boys in a blind with me. The only difference was the boys did not have on the deodorant. I had two deer down wind of my blind within ten feet and they never alerted. Just try to keep your clothing and gear as human scent free as possible. From personal experience movement will ruin your hunt faster than scent.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would save your money. I use a combination of scent killing laundry soap, scent killing spray, and scentless baking soda deodorant. On the first time this year I had a deer walk right under my stand then go completely down wind of me and never scent me. On the other time I've been out this year I had my 5 and 10 year old boys in a blind with me. The only difference was the boys did not have on the deodorant. I had two deer down wind of my blind within ten feet and they never alerted. Just try to keep your clothing and gear as human scent free as possible. From personal experience movement will ruin your hunt faster than scent.

First off, he already owns an Ozonics machine so there's that. Second, reread post #9 and learn. No offence but, I've been practicing scent free 'living' for a long time to the point of insanity. I bathe in nothing but scent free soaps and shampoos once the season starts. I use A hunter's scent free deodorant year-round. Before I wash my hunting clothes in scent destroying detergent, I run a regular load through the machine first using the same detergent, then through the drier. There's a difference between smelling like a human was there two hours ago(your method), and a human having never been there(my method). I'll swear to this. As I said before, Ozonics isn't a shortcut, it's part of the arsenal. It is a lot of money, granted but to discount it without any experience with it is disingenuous. Sorry to rant but I take my deer hunting seriously. It's what I live for all year.

Hydrogen peroxide is also a great cleaner in a wash, or scent killer in a spray.

It is also an astringent and will burn skin if over-used.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My 16 year old nephew crushed a really nice buck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      78.9 KB · Views: 205

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Went again today. I was thinking of getting an aluminum ladder and getting on top of this canopy-type thing that sits on the edge of the field. It has a metal roof so I don't think I'll try that though. There's no trees around that are skinny enough to use a tree stand.

So I used the Doghouse again. Just before the sun went down I saw a little doe to the side and back of the blind. Exactly what I'm aiming for at this time (to eat). I waiting a couple of minutes and looked again but it wasn't there. A coyote or fox was howling off in the distance so I thought that might've spooked it. I looked again a few minutes later and two other deer had joined it- the deer I had seen the day before last.

I had to stick my head out of the blind and the buck busted me. He ran off making the same sound he made the other day.

He's too small for me to target so he gets a pass but I want one of the does he's running with.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Hey Outrider,

Could you maybe write up a comprehensive post about your tactics during different types of weather and what you do for scent control? I understand if you don't want to share everything, but I've already learned a lot from some of the stuff you've written on the various threads. This is my seventh season hunting, but the first four were before I really internalized the big concepts of scent control, etc. I had no hunting mentor, so I've learned everything I know from books, videos, forums, etc.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey Outrider,

Could you maybe write up a comprehensive post about your tactics during different types of weather and what you do for scent control? I understand if you don't want to share everything, but I've already learned a lot from some of the stuff you've written on the various threads. This is my seventh season hunting, but the first four were before I really internalized the big concepts of scent control, etc. I had no hunting mentor, so I've learned everything I know from books, videos, forums, etc.

I can try. I don't consider my self an expert by any stretch. Just an old bastard who's made just about every mistake a deer hunter can make and tried to learn from them. I can be a little opinionated at times too.:sarcasm::rolleyes:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    If either if you fine gents one day have a little too much coffee and feel the urge to spill your opinions all over the internet, I'd be very interested in reading them. I learn a little something from each experienced hunter I read/speak to and it all adds up.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Pretty important day today.

I plan on using my Ozonics at one of the spots I've found. I hunted there yesterday but I'm pretty sure my scent was being spread to where the deer enter the area. I just sat in a spot outside a clearing on a hunting chair in the brush.

Today I'll use the Ozonics mounted outside my Doghouse blind.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Pretty important day today.

I plan on using my Ozonics at one of the spots I've found. I hunted there yesterday but I'm pretty sure my scent was being spread to where the deer enter the area. I just sat in a spot outside a clearing on a hunting chair in the brush.

Today I'll use the Ozonics mounted outside my Doghouse blind.

Now doesn't oxonics make ozone to cover your sent. Then I always thought ozone was toxic and causes cancer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom