• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Maryland Appleseed Thread 2013
    That's right folks..We've STILL got a country to save..Maybe even more so.. A Nation of Rifleman is our goal... We need YOU to make it happen... Sign up links are NOW HOT for the first Maryland Appleseeds of 2013!

Who: You AND a spouse, child and or friend
    What: Appleseed
    When: Sat -Sun: Jan 19-20 (SOLD OUT); Feb 16-17(SOLD OUT); March 16-17 (SOLD OUT); April 20-21 (SOLD OUT); May 18-19 (SOLD OUT); June 15-16 (LADYSEED- Ladies ONLY), July 20 (ONE DAY class), Aug 17 (ONE DAY class), Sept 21-22, Oct 19-20, Nov 16-17, Dec 21-22
    Where: Anne Arundel Fish and Game Assc Annapolis, MD
    Why: To attempt to earn the coveted "Rifleman" designation!
    To hear the history that they don't teach to our kids anymore...it's one we ALL need to hear!

Link is hot for online sign up: http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=MD&statename=Maryland

Want up to the minute Maryland Appleseed updates? LIKE us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Projec...64406060313831

These events will be 22LR ONLY!!!
    Slots are limited to 15 per class, so don't delay in signing up. These classes sell out quick, so sign up NOW to assure your spot on the line!

FEE STRUCTURE HAS CHANGED FOR 2013
    Men = $80/$50, Women = $40/$20, Youth under 18 = $20 or 1 free youth per paying adult, Active Military, Reserve & Guard = FREE, Peace Officer = FREE, Reenactors in Period Dress = FREE, Elected Official = FREE
    Sign-up MUST be done online.
    Everybody including the "free" shooters listed above, MUST be signed up online.

NOTE: The Rifleman Opportunity Card (ROC) is still honored until it's expiration date, but has been discontinued for 2013. If you have a valid one sign up as a FREE shooter at the link, and then present your ROC card at check in..

See the links for the REST of the important details...

http://www.rwva.org/
    Check out this site to learn more, what to bring, recommended equipment.
    Also check the forums linked there, including info on how to set up a Liberty Training Rifle. :

Important Notes for 2013

1): Maryland Specific Appleseed Patches: Many have asked, "where do they go from here?", once they achieve their Rifleman designation? While the National program guys are working on something, I'm not wasting any time.. Beginning RIGHT NOW, you will have the ability to earn a Maryland Distinguished Patch (a very cool design if I say so myself), Known Distance (KD) qualified rocker, and Maryland rocker. These are only able to be earned in Maryland AND are you are going to have to be on top of your game to earn these puppies. Further details will be forthcoming, but you WILL want these to join your Rifleman patch...

2): Think you can get a group of 10-15 shooters together for two or
    even ONE day of shooting? PM me with 6-8 weeks notice, and odds are
    in your favor that you may be able to set up YOUR OWN Appleseed!
    This is a great option for you scout troop leaders,
    home schoolers, 4-H, work or civic groups or associations, etc., etc.,
    to learn to shoot, hear the story, and keep the tradition alive...
    Let me know your groups needs, and we WILL make it work for you.. THIS OFFER STILL STANDS for 2013!

3): Do you belong to a gun club or know of a friendly landowner who has
    25 meters with a natural backstop? Man do I want to talk to you!
    PM me to help keep this fully insured program growing and
    spreading the history and marksmanship tradition that made this
    country great! We can't do this alone folks, we need like minded folks
    to "get off the couch" and help us again, become a Nation of Rifleman. THIS IS STILL A DESPERATE NEED FOR 2013! We can't save this nation without YOUR help!

For those unfamiliar with the program, here's a link to the previous years Appleseed threads, chock full of advice, info, FAQ's and their answers..http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=69417 and
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=33762 and http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46294

Finally, THANK YOU MD Shooters and Congratulations to all attendees, Rifleman, and Cooks who are still working towards becoming Rifleman, who helped make 2012 Appleseed in Maryland a reality and amazing success!

Special Thanks to Anne Arundel Fish & Game Assc (AAFG) for hosting us. I hope other gun clubs in Maryland will join them in inviting us aboard in 2013.
    BeSwift

Last edited:

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm interested for sure but can't click the link while at work. Can I use a scoped .22 bolt?

hollyb1

Oct 11, 2012
    Halethorpe
    So for the reenactor discount, I have a set of Roman Lorica Segmentata, I belong to some medivial fighting organizations. Since it is geared toward stick fighting it is not Living History quality, it has non-period additions for extra saftey. Would my SCA armor and gear count?

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    So for the reenactor discount, I have a set of Roman Lorica Segmentata, I belong to some medivial fighting organizations. Since it is geared toward stick fighting it is not Living History quality, it has non-period additions for extra saftey. Would my SCA armor and gear count?

Wow.. that's a new one on me.. I'll plead ignorance, but will say that I believe the intention was for American Rev War/Frontier reenactors. Since this is position rifle shooting (prone,sitting,standing) with transitions and mag changes, I'd be concerned with someone in armor as a likely safety issue. Safety trumps all at our shoots..

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    I'm interested for sure but can't click the link while at work. Can I use a scoped .22 bolt?

You can use whatever 22lr you've got. Check out all the links when you get home. Google LTR or scan our FB page on tips to get the most out of an Appleseed class..

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    If I signup my son for a weekend shoot, can I accompany him without signing up myself?

So long at there is an adult there to sign the waiver and supervise, should be no problem. I'd encourage you to sign up also, as this is a great family activity. If a gear shortage is an issue, we can fix that! BeSwift

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    How about a better description of what goes on, including the course of fire?

Varies during the weekend, but typically, a student can expect:
    Prone slow (5 min) , standing to prone rapid (65 sec), standing to sitting rapid (55 sec), standing slow. Mag changes are also part of the rapid fire courses of fire. Various combinations of these during the day, with various time limits and various orders, depending on the course of instruction and target. Hope this helps... BeSwift

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I'm gonna check my schedule and see if I can get a few friends to join in too. Thanks for posting the class list, I really wanna take one of these.

I guess to be proper, I'll take the scope off my 10/22 and slap on a peep sight. Or maybe I'll just get another 10/22, like a takedown. Hmmm... :)

Old Gaffer

Jun 26, 2006
    I just signed up, and I'm totally looking forward to doing this.

And a special shout out to my mother-in-law, Mae, who gave this to me for a Christmas present, and to my DW who told me to go ahead and sign up :)

Did I marry well, or what! :rockon:

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Only 2 slots left for January! Half the other slots on the line between now and Summer are already reserved.. and it's not even 2013 yet!!! If you want in, SERIOUSLY, do not wait... Also, LAST CALL on the Appleseed Gift Certificates (see other thread)..only a few days left for non-exempt shooters to save $30 bucks of the cost of a weekend of shooting! 2013 is going to be a banner year..come on out and see if YOU have what it takes to earn your Rifleman designation or one of the new Maryland specific Distinguished honors... BeSwift

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Varies during the weekend, but typically, a student can expect:
    Prone slow (5 min) , standing to prone rapid (65 sec), standing to sitting rapid (55 sec), standing slow. Mag changes are also part of the rapid fire courses of fire. Various combinations of these during the day, with various time limits and various orders, depending on the course of instruction and target. Hope this helps... BeSwift

Still needs a bit more information to be really helpful, course of fire is not just listing the stages but also the number of shots and the specific target to be used. From what I read it is all at 50 yards for the AAFG sessions. I shoot High Power so Appleseed probably wouldn't do much for me but I know at least a dozen recreational shooters it would benefit but to convince them I need to be able to fully describe it.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    This is the general idea. Anyone feel free to correct or add to this:

All firing is done at 25Y. All targets "D silhouette" targets scaled for 100, 200, 300 & 400yards. The instructors will go over proper adjustment and use of a GI sling. They will then go over proper prone, sitting/kneeling, and standing positions and adjustment of natural point of aim in each. With each position you will fire at a few targets and have the instructors evaluate them. Throughout the day instructors will watch what you are doing and provide assistance and corrections/suggestions.
    Midway through the day you will probably start shooting the "AQT".

Course of fire for the AQT:
    four stages:
    1. 10 rounds standing at a target simulating a 100 yard silhouette. One magazine. 2 minutes.
    2. 10 rounds sitting/kneeling at a 200 yard target. Two magazines with 2 and 8 rounds. Start standing, then transition to sitting/kneeling. 55 seconds.
    3. 10 rounds prone at a 300 yard target. Two magazines with 2 and 8 rounds. Start standing, then transition to prone. 65 seconds.
    4. 10 rounds prone at a 400 yard target. One magazine. No transition. Five minutes.

During the breaks the instructors will go over the events of April 19, 1775.
    You will do a lot of shooting over the weekend. Expect about 300-400 rounds. You will spend a lot of time in each shooting position.
    I have done a few of them and it really helped me improve my shooting. I took my wife (casual shooter) and my brother (hunter/more serious shooter) and they both enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. My wife wants to do another one. The instructors have all been extremely friendly, very helpful and very safety conscious. I really recommend it for any recreational shooters you know.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I not know how to post pictures here. I am sure someone could post a pic of a target or it you google "Appleseed AQT target" you'll get plenty of images.

boomer1821

Oct 21, 2012
    Quick and Dirty AQT?

Any of you experienced AppleShooters have any idea what I could expect to score on the "official" Appleseed AQT based on the results I get on the Quick and Dirty Classification AQT (5 shots per stage)? I shot it 3 times today in about 2 min each, for the 4 stages for cores of 238, 244 and 230. I know the real AQT stresses the shooter with timed stages, mag changes and changes of position, but I'm wondering what people think about how much that will affect (reduce) the scores. Of course I am hoping that the instruction will tighten my groups and INCREASE my scores too :) I'm going to the Jan shoot for my first AppleSeed, if anyone else on here is going.

boomer1821

Oct 21, 2012
    What time to show up to shoot?

Hey Brian - how long before the designated start of the shoot (Jan shoot)should I show up? I assume there is set up involved...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom