• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    That's right folks....We're back with a vengeance for 2011. Sign up links are NOW HOT for the first Maryland Appleseeds of 2011!

Who: YOU
    What: Appleseed
    When: Sat -Sun: Jan 8-9; Feb 12-13; March 12-13; April 9-10; May 14-15
    NEW DATES ADDED: Sept 10-11, Oct 8-9, Nov 5-6, Dec 3-4

Where: Anne Arundel Fish and Game Assc Annapolis, MD
    Why: To attempt to earn the coveted "Rifleman" designation!
    To hear the history that they don't teach to our kids anymore...it's one we ALL should hear!

BREAKING NEWS: NEW DATE AND LOCATION ADDED
    Sat-Sun March 26-27, Harford County MD Broad Creek BSA Facility www.broadcreekbsa.org

Link is hot for online sign up: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule2.php

These events will be 22LR ONLY!!!
    Slots are limited to 15 per class, so don't delay in signing up.

Active duty, reserve and guard military shoot FREE! Kids 21 and under = $5 per child for entire weekend, Women = $10 for the entire weekend,
    All others see prices online. Sign-up MUST be done online.
    Everybody including the "free" shooters listed above, MUST be signed up online.

See the links for the REST of the important details...

http://www.rwva.org/
    Check out this site to learn more, what to bring, recommended equipment.
    Also check the forums linked there, including info on how to set up a Liberty Training Rifle. :

What's NEW for 2011???

1): WINTERSEED... a special patch for shooters who earn their
    Rifleman designation when the ave temp is below 40 deg and/or
    inclement weather is present below a certain temp.. If earning your
    Rifleman badge isn't ENOUGH for you, oh kindred spirits of
    Vasily Zaitsev or Simo Hayha, and you want to conquer mother nature
    as well, here's your chance for the ultimate bragging rights! No we're
    NOT taking a break for Winter...we've got a country to save!

2): Think you can get a group of 10-15 shooters together for two or
    even ONE day of shooting? PM me with 6-8 weeks notice, and odds are
    in your favor that you may be able to set up YOUR OWN Appleseed!
    This is a great option for you scout troop leaders,
    home schoolers, work or civic groups or associations, etc., etc.,
    to learn to shoot, hear the story, and keep the tradition alive...
    Let me know your groups needs, and we WILL make it work for you..

3): Do you belong to a gun club or know of a friendly landowner who has
    25 meters with a natural backstop? Man do I want to talk to you!
    PM me to help keep this fully insured program growing and
    spreading the history and marksmanship tradition that made this
    country great! We can't do this alone folks, we need like minded folks
    to "get off the couch" and help us again, become a Nation of Rifleman.

For those unfamiliar with the program, here's a link to the 2010 Appleseed thread, chock full of advice, info, FAQ's and their answers..
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=33762

Finally, THANK YOU MD Shooters and Congratulations to all attendees, Rifleman, and Rifleman in process who helped make 2010 Appleseed in Maryland a reality and amazing success! :thumbsup::thumbsup: BeSwift

Last edited:

sailor

Sep 20, 2007
    Scouts at Appleseed

Sorry to have to chime in, but I am a Scout leader and a Shooting Sports Director, and you may have gotten some wrong informaion somewhere.

Boy Scouts has three levels-
    Cub Scouts: No 22's allowed.
    Boy Scouts: 22 single shot only, no more than one round in the rifle at any time.
    Venturing: just about any rifle up to and including full auto.

So the only Scouts who can participate in an Appleseed are Venture Scouots- and they are organized into crews.

Don't get me wrong, I am pro-Appleseed and I will be taking my Crew to one in 2011.

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification... ain't a day that passes that I don't learn something new.... BeSwift

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    My understanding is that there is a distinction between an officially sanctioned "Scout event" and an informal group that chooses to do an activity, a backpacking trip, for example. So, I think it would be possible, just not under the auspices of the Boy Scouts of America. Sailor, is that your understanding as well?

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    UPDATE on Jan and Feb 2011 Appleseeds

Still a few slots open for the Jan and Feb 2011 Appleseed classes at AAFG...
    Normally, these classes sell out in HOURS...not days...so I gotta ask myself..
    Has the well gone dry?
    Has the lure of the couch and big screen overtaken the need to save the USA by restoring our country to a Nation of Rifleman?

Tell me there's still a handful of hearty, red blooded Americans in the Balt/Wash corridor who aren't afraid of a challenge..afraid of the weather...afraid of getting off the couch... Well..????:sad20:

Let's do this folks... Get yer butt signed up, to hear the story and meet the challenge of the AQT head on... I know you're out there.. those who want to earn that Winterseed RIFLEMAN designation..Those who know they gotta get off the couch..Those who know that time's a wasting...

YOU need to do this...YOU want this...YOU can do this.. and BRING a friend or two.. it's too important not to... :thumbsup:

The instructors and I will be there....how about YOU? :fingerscrossed:

BeSwift

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I brought a good friend who was a first time shooter and he is nothing but impressed. He's ready for more, even talked about buying his first firearm. :thumbsup: This is a great way to get new shooters into shooting and even to open their eyes up to the some of the real history of our great nation, the stuff they don't talk about in schools anymore.

Bring a friend!!

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Does not need to be a bolt action but I believe you need a sling. I never used one before either and bought one for this.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I want to do this sometime, but I'm nowhere near prepared and I don't know what I'll be working those days...

The interest is there, I'm just not ready to commit :|

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Trying to avoid digging through all of the info...

Will a scoped 10/22 without a strap be usable, or does it have to be a BA .22 with a strap?
    Here's some options (I'm not trying to spend your money for you)

1) Install swivel studs, 1 1/4" swivels, and a US military web sling on your 10/22. Total cost around $40 ish plus your time.

2) Buy an aftermarket 10/22 stock (I recommend Hogue) with studs/swivels
    already in place and install web sling... cost $60 or up

3) Use what you got (either rifle) and know it's going to put you at a disadvantage as far as attaining the Rifleman patch...You'll still get outstanding training no matter what...

4) Do none of the above and use one of my 3 loaners that are already set up and have helped several folks attain Rifleman already..

Do a Google search of "Liberty Training Rifle"...you'll find out what the ideal set up is for several rifles ,if you want to set up your very own.. Don't allow gear concerns to get in the way... My 02.

BeSwift

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    Updates and minor pricing change

The pricing policy is changing for children and women attending Appleseed in 2011

The fees have been changed to reflect
    Women: $ 10 for the weekend, or $ 5 for one day
    Children Under 21: $ 5 for the weekend or $ 2.50 per day

Also, the February Appleseed at AAFG is SOLD OUT! Thank you MD Shooters!
    (you had me worried there for a minute...:D)

There are still a few slots open for the January AAFG Appleseed, so make haste and give yourself a shot at the Winterseed Rifleman's designation...!:thumbsup:

You Jan shooters should be getting your gear prepped NOW for the Jan shoot!

MORE breaking news to come soon! BeSwift

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    STILL MORE breaking news! MORE dates added

Link is NOW HOT http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule2.php for sign up for the..... drumroll please......

SPRING 2011 APPLESEED CLASSES
    Same place (AAFG Annapolis), same times (Sat-Sun), same rules (22lr only), NEW DATES!

March 12-13
    April 9-10
    May 14-15

While I'm extremely grateful to our wonderful hosts at Anne Arundel Fish and Game Assc, I'm afraid we're going to have to dub these shoots ANAPPLESEEDS:rolleyes:, if I can't get other clubs to get on board and allow us to host a class or two..

Talk to the movers and shakers at YOUR club folks, especially if you want to do this Centerfire! Unless there's an interest inside the club already, most clubs don't want to give us the time of day, or they want to shake us down for cash:mad54:... Let YOUR club know, you WANT Appleseed there! (I'm pretty easy to find...LOL...):thumbsup: BeSwift

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    I signed my brother up for the under-21 free registration for February, how do I get you the rest of the money?

If they didn't hit you/him for a youth charge at sign up...don't worry about it..If you've got a confirmation you're signed up, you should be good to go....
    BeSwift

Local2

Aug 31, 2007
    Joppatowne
    BeSwift,

I just signed up for the April 9-10 dates. I guess I'll take wet over cold.

Anyway I think I'm going to pull off my rail and scope, take the plunge and get a set of tech-sights, swivels and a sling for my 10/22. I have the "tactical" version with the bull barrel and hogue stock so it should work out nice!

Hope to see some MDShooters there this spring. (Yes, I like to plan way in advance) I will be practicing prone for the next three months!

Does anyone know a relatively affordable shooter jacket that would be useful for this event?

BeSwift

Appleseed SI/State Coord
    Apr 15, 2008
    BeSwift,

I just signed up for the April 9-10 dates. I guess I'll take wet over cold.

Anyway I think I'm going to pull off my rail and scope, take the plunge and get a set of tech-sights, swivels and a sling for my 10/22. I have the "tactical" version with the bull barrel and hogue stock so it should work out nice!

Hope to see some MDShooters there this spring. (Yes, I like to plan way in advance) I will be practicing prone for the next three months!

Does anyone know a relatively affordable shooter jacket that would be useful for this event?

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/acc.asp
    See the "Rifleman Package" about 1/2 way down the page....
    Best deal I know of, but be aware these are field jackets, not Camp Perry stuff.... BeSwift

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom