• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rogue780

Jan 16, 2011
    Dundalk
    Hey, I was thinking about getting a couple extra receiver flats to bring to the party so I can have some finished AK74 receivers by 1 Oct. All that I need to make them legally firearms are to bend the flats and weld the rails in there, right?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    technically any more work beyond how they come to you is considered "more than 80%" and thus a receiver according to current laws. in that vein, if all you wanted to do at the build party is bend a few, that's enough; anything you do beyond that is icing on the cake as far as work you don't have to do later.

rogue780

Jan 16, 2011
    Dundalk
    technically any more work beyond how they come to you is considered "more than 80%" and thus a receiver according to current laws. in that vein, if all you wanted to do at the build party is bend a few, that's enough; anything you do beyond that is icing on the cake as far as work you don't have to do later.

Sweet. I can only afford two kits, but wanted some flexibility in the future to finish some more builds after the ban

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'll be there. Are there any tools that are needed that I can bring?

I wanted to get a serialized lower but I am against the wall now time wise. I ordered a flat without trunnion holes.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    How long does park take. I could set up a stainless tank and Coleman stove. If it is a few minutes I can do a 6-8" dia receiver deep that would take 1-2gal of solution. If longer I could make something larger that would take more solution.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    15-20 minutes, depends on the size of the pieces and the dilution of the mixture. if you buy a gallon of parking fluid from brownells or midway or whomever, DO NOT use it as is. you have to dilute it, usually 4-1 or 5-1, water-to-park ratio.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Anybody want to pick up some solution and I will set up a tank? Ferret what besides a tank and solution do we need. I have black iron and steel around and a few battery chargers.

Last edited:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    What are the pros-cons of park vs paint?

I'd like to go with a dark black finish like my top cover and other parts already are.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    What are the pros-cons of park vs paint?

I'd like to go with a dark black finish like my top cover and other parts already are.

About the difference between anodizing and crayon. Especially internally. Raw park is an amazing paint base as it is absorbed almost to the molecular level. There is a reason that park has been the primary finish on military arms for a century.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    whenever you have the option, ALWAYS paint over park instead of bare metal. corrosion resistance is increased by a factor of eleventy. and that's science.

yeah-science-bitch-meme.jpg

a thermometer (meat thermometer) would be a good idea to keep an eye on park temp. you want it right around 160-180*, preferably on the warmer side. ventilation is good too...the vapor can sting the eyes. :lol2:

some old coat hangers or similar thick wire to suspend the parts wouldn't hurt either.

rogue780

Jan 16, 2011
    Dundalk
    I'll PM out the address and phone # tomorrow to those coming.

Sweet, can't wait

Somebody want to get some ceracoat? I can make an oven with some insulated duct and halogen light?

Anybody want to pick up some solution and I will set up a tank? Ferret what besides a tank and solution do we need. I have black iron and steel around and a few battery chargers.

If someone tells me where and how much to get, so long as it's not outrageously expensive, I'll pick some up and bring it.

rogue780

Jan 16, 2011
    Dundalk
    Brownells. A gal of park concentrate and enough Ceracoat for a dozen or so recievers.

I can afford to either get one gallon of park here: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...zing/zinc-phosphate-parkerizing-prod1106.aspx

Or about three of the small cerakote kits here: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...kote-ovencure-ceramic-coatings-prod26563.aspx

Ore the one large graphite black and one more small one.

Let me know which you want me to get, and if cerakote, what colors (if not just graphite black)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom