• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    You couldn't pay me to carry a Glock with one in the pipe. Maybe, if I were a cop, or if I was doing hazardous duty in the military. But as a CCW carrier? Fuggedaboudit.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If in a good holster, no more dangerous than any other pistol IMO. If you don't want it to fire, don't pull the trigger. Quite simple.. If they were that dangerous, I doubt they'd be the most popular pistol in LE

I have a G30 and a G29SF carried in good holsters. No problems

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I say it over and over again in every class I teach! THE GUN MUST BE IN A HOLSTER THAT COVERS THE TRIGGER!

I will never understand why someone would take such a stupid risk.

Mdeng

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Why not get a CCW permit in VA? Why carry it w/o a holster with one in the chamber in a non-dedicated pocket(one presumably with other crap in it)? Why pack to the Giant Food in BFE just to sit in the parking lot with your four young children in the car? What a thing for children and a wife to have to witness! I hate to speak ill of the dead but really...WTF?

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    ^ why pack....does not matter the area there boy scout. Cause shit happens. Called being prepared.

Pack everywhere. Just not with such disregard for safety.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    Very sad it had to happen at all, but incredibly sad it happened in front of his kids. Imagine what they have to see waking and sleeping for the rest of their lives.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    ^ why pack....does not matter the area there boy scout. Cause shit happens. Called being prepared.

Pack everywhere. Just not with such disregard for safety.

I understand that many feel that way and have no problem with it but just wouldn't choose that course of action myself. Most places and activities I go to with my kids don't really call for me to be packing and I often am not wearing a jacket or pants heavy enough to conceal one. Winter is a different story, of course, but I'm not allowed to here anyways even if I wanted to. When I lived in VA, open carry was an option but I just thought it looked a little funny to be walking around with my girl in Summer strapped to traverse sidewalks in suburbia...not that crime doesn't occur there. There was a guy who lived on Carleigh Parkway in West Springfield I always saw walking up the sidewalk with his wife on his arm and his .45 on his hip but that's just not me. Toe each their own.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I never understood why some one would carry without a holster, no matter what firearm. Even a pistol with a safety in a pocket has a chance (a small one) of the safety being disengaged. Shoving a pistol in your pocket or even into your waistband is just not smart. I would not even put into an empty coat pocket without a holster.
    As to carrying to giant to and waiting in the van, you never know when you may need a weapon. If that was case why would you need a pistol on your night stand, you are safe and snug in your bed, in your home with locked doors.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Hopefully as you pick and choose to be armed the situations you are presented with are picked with such convenience. To carry really is a lifestyle.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Not sure I really get it. You spend hundreds of dollars on a nice Glock. You are concerned enough that you keep one in the chamber. Then you don't spend the extra $ to get a holster that is safe? I just don't understand. Like buying a race car and then driving it with donut tires.

When/if CCW comes to MD I will carry my G17 but I will not carry with one in the chamber and I will buy, test and buy again until I'm comfortable that the holster is safe and the firearm is secure at all times. I never carried with one in the chamber in SC primarily because I do not have the draw skills or practice to be completely certain I won't plug my big toe if SHTF. If it really does go south and 1.5 seconds matters then I probably should have been more aware of my surroundings to begin with, IMHO.

Real tragedy for the guy and his whole family. Sounds like it could have been avoided.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Hopefully as you pick and choose to be armed the situations you are presented with are picked with such convenience. To carry really is a lifestyle.

I suppose...I just think my current lifestyle with my wife and kids would be compromised too much to have to always be cognizant of my clothing choices, family activities, destinations and corresponding legal statuses, jurisdictions, etc. I live in MD near the PA border and travel to VA and other places frequently so with the state of affairs such as they are, it's too much of a hassle to NOT carry in MD, pull over when I cross a border to get my Glock from the trunk, load it, put it in a holster and conceal it on my person(or openly on my belt in VA) and then have to worry about whether or not I was going to forget I had it on when entering a post office, bank, alcohol-serving establishment, museum, prohibited park, etc. If the laws weren't so inconsistent and foggy, I'd be all for it but I don't need trouble with the man and stand to lose too much over an inadvertent lapse in situational awareness or knowledge of current mercurial carry legalities and exceptions. Banners know that they don't have to win every battle but merely enough of them to make it such a fvcking hassle that many potential CCW proponents just say "aww, to Hell with it."

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    put it in a holster and conceal it on my person(or openly on my belt in VA) and then have to worry about whether or not I was going to forget I had it on when entering a post office, bank, alcohol-serving establishment, museum, prohibited park, etc.

Most places here do not prohibit you from carrying. The place serving alcohol and parks ban is gone. I haven't been to a museum lately but unless they post it it is perfectly legal to carry in them. Since my bank is now Wells Fargo I don't have to take the Roscoe off.

I will say this again. Since I got a pocket sized pistol with a pocket holster, I've been carrying a LOT more than I used to. Anything that requires attaching equipment to my pants is a hassle. Dropping my pocket 9mm into my pants pocket is convenient, and the mags are small enough to be discretely carried. Carrying anything bigger involves either an IWB or a belt holster, and I prefer NOT to carry that way.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Just by the sheer number of people carrying, there are bound to be accidents, pretty much no different than the millions of cars on the road, although the chances of an injury from carrying a firearm are probably a fraction of the chances of being injured in a car accident. This wasn't an accident IMO, but negligence, a decent holster would have most likely prevented it, decent training would have shown the need for one. It's no fault of the pistol, I carry a G30SF myself, and ALWAYS carry with one in the chamber, if I need it, I'll need it in a hurry. GLOCKs get a bad rap, they are very simple, pulling the trigger will fire the pistol reliably, as long as the trigger is not pulled, it won't fire, in this case it did what it was supposed to, the guy pulled the trigger, and it fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom