• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    So March 3rd, I had the audacity to ask the question (politely I might add) whether I could bring a AR-15 pistol to CRESAP.

That same date:

A letter was drafted and sent to me, barring me permanently from CRESAP.

That's amusing.

No reason given for the permanent barring of me, but considering that the letter is dated March 3rd, I can only surmise that it must of been the question. It seems pretty childish, but there are plenty of other places to go shooting, and now I definitely don't have to worry what is or is not permitted at CRESAP.

Let this be a lesson to the rest of you all. :) I'm not saying that I haven't contributed to the discord between CRESAP Rifle Club and myself, I certainly accept responsibility for my comments and my actions.

Mark

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Sounds like the only time I'd want to go shooting there was if I was going postal.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Well, that's disappointing--Cresap is a great range. The guys there have always been helpful and friendly, though they are intolerant of anyone who fails to handle firearms safely or otherwise challenges their rules or range officers.

I'm not sure you said anything in that thread that was grounds for being permabanned, but it's a private range and I guess they are trying to make a point. To bad you had to be the one getting poked.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Well, that's disappointing--Cresap is a great range. The guys there have always been helpful and friendly, though they are intolerant of anyone who fails to handle firearms safely or otherwise challenges the range officers (as they should be).

I'm not sure you said anything in that thread that was grounds for being permabanned, but it's a private range and I guess they are trying to make a point. To bad you had to be the one getting poked.

Neither had I.

In general I agree with you, the members (in general) were always helpful, professional, and kept the line safe. So yes, I am a little confused by the reaction, but I am certainly not going to paint them in a bad light for exercising their right to ban me.

Thanks,

Mark

MrWhiteRabbit

Firefighter Gone Awry
    Sep 23, 2007
    Never been there. It may be a dumb question, but why won't they allow AR-15s? It's just a semi-automatic .223. Most centerfire rifles are more powerful than that, so it can't be disallowed over concerns for the longevity of their stands.

I can understand Hap Baker banning .50 because of penetration and travel issues and I can understand some ranges banning certain scatterguns due to the close tolerances between targets, but what's the logic behind banning ARs at Cresap?

Did I miss a thread somewhere?

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    How freaking retarded. It would have been different if you asked and they said "no" and then you showed up and did it anyway. Why would you ban someone who had the decency to ask a question about range policy?

Are you sure your question was the extent of your "transgression"?

What all this about "the discord between CRESAP Rifle Club" and you?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think that is just plain silly. A simple "no, you may not" would have done.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Never been there. It may be a dumb question, but why won't they allow AR-15s? It's just a semi-automatic .223. Most centerfire rifles are more powerful than that, so it can't be disallowed over concerns for the longevity of their stands.

I can understand Hap Baker banning .50 because of penetration and travel issues and I can understand some ranges banning certain scatterguns due to the close tolerances between targets, but what's the logic behind banning ARs at Cresap?

Did I miss a thread somewhere?

It's the AR 15 pistol that is not allowed, along with any other SBRs. AR 15s are allowed there, and I bring mine all the time.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    How freaking retarded. It would have been different if you asked and they said "no" and then you showed up and did it anyway. Why would you ban someone who had the decency to ask a question about range policy?

Are you sure your question was the extent of your "transgression"?

What all this about "the discord between CRESAP Rifle Club" and you?

There is a thread from about a year ago in which we had some disagreement. To be fair, there are two sides to it, they have their perception and I have mine. I take responsibility for my part in that exchange, I can be a bit obnoxious when making a point. I thought we had put all that behind us, evidently I was wrong.

I haven't been there in over a year, so, yes... I am pretty certain that there were no other factors...

Mark

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    What was their rationale for banning AR-15 pistols?

I really can't speak for them, in the other thread a CRESAP member stated that the AR-15 pistol is a "grey" area in MD law according to their attorney. You might ask for yourself, I can't tell you how they'll answer... but if personal experience is a guide? :innocent0 :lol2:

Mark

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OK, so what was their rationale for banning someone for life for just bringing one? That seems like a huge overreaction.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    OK, so what was their rationale for banning someone for life for just bringing one? That seems like a huge overreaction.

No, I didn't even bring one, I simply asked if I could shoot it on the rifle range with a scope, since scoped pistols were allowed according to their rules. However, not wanting to show up there with an AR pistol and cause a problem, I asked the question here since I knew that CRESAP members read the board.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=32869

Topher, a CRESAP member, was kind enough to ask the question at the membership meeting on the 3rd of March (although I don't know what was said.) What I did not realize is that asking this question would result in my being barred from CRESAP. I don't know what was behind that process, and really it doesn't matter, it's their club and if I am not welcome I will abide by that.

Mark

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Perhaps you could contact them and see what the problem is/was? Just a bit curious.

Nah. I respect their decision. Contacting them won't likely make a difference, if they wanted to "talk" about it, they had my phone number (as well as my address.)

I am sure they have their reasons.

Mark

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    What a bunch of douche bags. With friends like these do we even need the Brady bunch to be our undoing? This is exactly why I don't belong to any rifle clubs that have firearms restrictions other than the actual law. If it's legal to shoot in MD a range should allow you to shoot it. I understand Hap's reaosn for no .50's and can respect that but this kind of crap is from people who do not understand that we have enough enemies who limit us, and the last thing we need is to limit ourselves further.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom