• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    As I’ve mentioned in a recent post – this forum introduced me to, and sparked an intense interest in getting my C&R.

I’ve spent a lot of time reading all of the fantastic and informative posts here and a on bunch of the sites referenced here like www.surplusrifle.com & www.cruffler.com
    --BTW- Many thanks to coinboy, Half-cocked, novus and the many, many others that have posted so much great information

In reading all of this - I’ve tried to figure out the most efficient way to go about getting my license as quickly and painlessly as possible. I thought it might be helpful to others if I relayed my experience (FWIW).

First, I read the many accounts of how long it was usually taking people to get the "F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics)" forms when they ordered from the ATF website http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm - It was usually about a month.

I’d also read several instances where folks said they’d called the ATF to order the forms and they were reporting that they’d gotten their forms in as little as a few days.

So, I chose to call the number on the forms ordering website – “For forms not listed, please call (301) 583-4696 to order.”
    I made the call somewhere between 7/27-7/29. I spoke to a young lady who was a little terse at first, and requested 2 copies of the forms for myself (explaining that I’d like the second one just in case I made a mistake) and I also requested 2 forms my Father-in-law, who lives in Tennessee.
    By the time I’d given her the addresses, thanked her for her time and bid her to “Have a good day”, she’d seemed to warm up a bit in the tone of her responses to me. I thought that maybe that was a good sign that I’d earned her good graces and might get the forms a bit quicker.

Well, so much for my first effort to speed things up. The 1 month mark came and went with no forms in my mailbox. A couple of days later, I saw a post from silverscreamer that he (or she) had ordered the application on 7/26, which was a Sunday - so I assumed that the order was placed from the ATF website. He received the forms on 8/29. I postulated that maybe they send the forms in batches and mine should come any day.

Sure enough, my forms arrived 9/1.
    In with my 2 application forms was some sort of “picking ticket” that showed my name, order number, and among other things, a date of 8/6. The envelope was postmarked 8/31 and sent from Hyattsville.

So, the takeaway is - apparently they send the forms out in batches. More than likely, where your request falls in the cycle is what determines when you get them - not whether you make your order online or by phone.

This post has gotten long enough - I'll make another post on my strategy for getting the approval done faster than the typical 6-12 weeks.

kstew

Dec 13, 2008
    How about I post parallel to you seeing as how I put my stuff in the mail two days ago.

I put my first request for the forms (via website) in on 06AUG09. Around two weeks later I had still not received my forms and concluded that there was some sort of internet problem not correctly completing my request. So I requested another one. Both arrived at the same day on 31AUG09.

On 01SEP09 I filled out my forms (both copies) and mailed one to the ATF in Georgia and one to the Montgomery County Chief of Police.

Will update when more happens.

TIMELINE

Requested application 06AUG09o
    Received application 31AUG09
    Mailed application 01SEP09 to Georgia
    Mailed MD Collectors letter 14SEP09
    Received C&R license on 24OCT09

Last edited:

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    How about I post parallel to you seeing as how I put my stuff in the mail two days ago.
    :thumbsup:
    That would be a perfect way to have a "control" for my little experiment.

I'm about to do another long post about my strategy for speeding the approval...

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    In all the reading/research I’d done – I noticed that the ATF website had an announcement here that the Federal Firearms Licensing Center (FFLC) had moved from GA to WV in Oct. 2008.

I looked at my application forms and saw that they’d been last revised in 2005. The instructions for filling out the forms that folks here referred to here
    were last updated in 2005. They recommended sending it to the address that is printed on the form.

MD Shooter member Markp said here that he’d sent his to GA, but it bounced back. He then sent it to WV and had his C&R about two weeks later…

While filling out my forms, I saw the “If you have any questions…” footnote on the forms, so I called. 866-662-2750
    I told the young lady that I was filling out my application to become a “Collector of Curio and Relic firearms” and I noticed the forms had been last revised in 2005 – but I’d seen on the ATF website that the FFLC had moved from Atlanta, Georgia to Martinsburg, West Virginia about a year ago.
    So, where should I send the application?
    Her response:
    244 Needy Road
    Martinsburg, WV 25405

I then asked if I need to put it to anyone’s attention – she asked what state, when I responded MD she said send it to:
    Examiner Reese Powell

So, I sent my application to the above WV addresses yesterday (9/2). We’ll see if I screwed myself by over thinking things. It’s entirely possible that just like the request for the forms – I’ll be thrown in the same pile as the GA addressed ones – or worse yet, my app will be viewed as suspicious since I mailed it directly to the examiner.

But, now the race is on with kstew. I think I’ve seen several others that just got their forms. Maybe we can keep a running list. I know it doesn’t help those of us that are waiting... But I figure, at least my experience, good or bad, might help someone in the future with their quest to become a Cruffler.

UPDATE 10/30/09:
    Thanks to some excellent recon work by forum member t0tln00b - here (in post #79 of this thread) - we now know that:
    YOU SHOULD NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO WV - it must be sent to GA for payment processing.

UPDATE 11/3/09:
    Contrary to the above info - forum member tttongli reports here a turnaround of about a month after mailing the application directly to WV...

Updated timetable as of 02/17/10:
    Username____ App Requested _____Received______ App Sent___ Payment Charged ____C&R Received :party29:
    Shadow68______Tel. ~ 7/28/09 _______9/1/09________ WV 9/2/09_____ CC 9/29/09 ___________ 11/13/09
    kstew________ Web 8/06 & ~8/20/09___8/31/09_______ GA 9/01/09____ CC 9/04/09 ___________ 10/24/09

mbenz85_______??????_______________????????_______ GA ?????______ CC 8/24/09____________ 10/11/09
    Threeband_____??????_______________????????_______ GA 8/10/09 ___ CK 8/12/09 ___________ 9/04/09
    t0tln00b______9/09/09______________9/16/09________ WV 9/16/09 ___ CC 11/09/09 ___________ 9/04/09
    Fallschirmjaager ~9/13/09__________9/17/09
    john_bud______Web ~9/9/09__________9/15/09 _______ GA 9/15/09 __ CC 9/22/09 ____________ 10/05/09
    n3cal ________????????? ___________??????? _______ GA 9/15/09 __ CC 9/17/09 ____________ 10/23/09
    orangecrush _ 10/11/09 ____________10/14/09 ______ GA 10/14/09 _
    BurtonRW______10/8/09 _____________10/10/09
    Akalma ______ 10/16/09 ____________10/20/09 ______ GA 10/21/09 _ CC 10/24/09 ___________ 11/10/09
    tttongli______????????? ___________??????? _______ WV 10/1/09 __ CC 10/22/09 ___________ 11/02/09
    Maverick5582_ ?????????____________?????????______ ?? 11/09/09 _ ?? ?????????___________ 11/27/09
    VAshooter ____ 09/15/09____________?????????______ WV 09/24/09 _ CC 10/02/09 ___________ 11/14/09

smokedog -7 weeks from forms on the web to GA and C&R in hand, don't know dates

Last edited:

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Thanks for this good info!

I requested the form from the ATF last week through their website. I'll be happy to report on my experience with the process if it's unique and/or has anything to add to the discussion.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Great!
    Based on the historical time for the delivery of forms, you should have them within the next 3 weeks or so.

If by chance my strategy works out to be as quick as it worked out for Markp - we may know if the WV could be the better route before you're ready to send out your application...

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    In all the reading/research I’d done – I noticed that the ATF website had an announcement here that the Federal Firearms Licensing Center (FFLC) had moved from GA to WV in Oct. 2008.

I looked at my application forms and saw that they’d been last revised in 2005. The instructions for filling out the forms that folks here referred to here
    were last updated in 2005. They recommended sending it to the address that is printed on the form.

MD Shooter member Markp said here that he’d sent his to GA, but it bounced back. He then sent it to WV and had his C&R about two weeks later…

While filling out my forms, I saw the “If you have any questions…” footnote on the forms, so I called. 866-662-2750
    I told the young lady that I was filling out my application to become a “Collector of Curio and Relic firearms” and I noticed the forms had been last revised in 2005 – but I’d seen on the ATF website that the FFLC had moved from Atlanta, Georgia to Martinsburg, West Virginia about a year ago.
    So, where should I send the application?
    Her response:
    244 Needy Road
    Martinsburg, WV 25405

I then asked if I need to put it to anyone’s attention – she asked what state, when I responded MD she said send it to:
    Examiner Reese Powell

So, I sent my application to the above WV addresses yesterday (9/2). We’ll see if I screwed myself by over thinking things. It’s entirely possible that just like the request for the forms – I’ll be thrown in the same pile as the GA addressed ones – or worse yet, my app will be viewed as suspicious since I mailed it directly to the examiner.

But, now the race is on with kstew. I think I’ve seen several others that just got their forms. Maybe we can keep a running list. I know it doesn’t help those of us that are waiting... But I figure, at least my experience, good or bad, might help someone in the future with their quest to become a Cruffler.

And that is the same examiner that processed mine.

Mark

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    i wish i knew how to subscribe to this thread. i have been thinking about getting a CR too, and this thread may help me to avoid some mistakes. thanks.

~~~>after sending said reply, i figured it out.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    ... i have been thinking about getting a CR too, ...

Well, even if you're still not sure if you want to get it - you might want to order the forms... No sense having to wait (for possibly a month) once you decide
    If you decide not to go for it - there always seems to be plenty of folks around here that would gladly take them off your hands...

I plan on offering my extra one up for C&R karma once I get a little further into my waiting period.

As for "making mistakes" - the form is a little confusing but not too bad - I used the guide on surplusrifle.com --> here when I filled mine out.

mbenz85

MDS Supporter
    Apr 22, 2009
    Harford County
    Little over a month!

On August 24 2009 the ATF charged my card for the $30. On Friday September 11 2009 I received the C and R license. That's only 19 days (including weekends) after they charged the card. Hopefully I'll receive the welcome packet of information. It says it could take up to 10 days after for that to come in. I can't remember the exact date I sent the paper work in, but it was around the 2nd week of August.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    On August 24 2009 the ATF charged my card for the $30. On Friday September 11 2009 I received the C and R license. That's only 19 days (including weekends) after they charged the card. Hopefully I'll receive the welcome packet of information. It says it could take up to 10 days after for that to come in. I can't remember the exact date I sent the paper work in, but it was around the 2nd week of August.

Wow! :shocked: Thats fantastic!
    Congrats!

Where did you send the application?

As stated above - I sent mine on 9/2 to WV.
    I still haven't seen the charge hit my card yet - so I'm not hopeful to have as quick a turnaround...

But - if yours was sent early in the 2nd week of Aug. I suppose that I might still get lucky if the charge appears within the next couple of days...

Then again they might be punishing me :spank:
    for sending it directly to the examiner.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I found that what state you live in has a direct bearing on how fast you receive your C&R. I sent mine in the first week in June and got it back the middle of August. My friend in Pennsylvania sent his in the first week of July and got it back in three weeks. Apparently some examiners work faster than others or have less of a work load.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Side note. Mailed collectors letter to MSP on 14SEP09

I gotta start reading up about that and get it in the works - although once I get my C&R, I'm unlikely to have the funds to worry about the wait time between multiple regulated purchases...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom