• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I’m looking for some opinions. The wifey and I keep two hand guns in the bedroom for home defense. Currently, we have her two Glocks, a G22C and a G17 (hey, I don’t want my guns tied up as evidence). She prefers the G17, but she can handle the G22C as well. I don’t care.

We picked the Glocks over our 1911s mainly over round count (we both are a bit better with the .45s). But we reasoned that if we are startled in the middle of the night, we might not be up to prime technique for the first few rounds. So we sided with the “capacity rules” argument.
    So the Glocks live in drawer on my side of the bed mostly because there are no drawers on her side of the bed, so I’m in charge of weapons and ammo distribution. No big deal. I can tell the difference in the pistols by finger sweeping the slides behind the front sights (the 22C has vents). If time permits, I can hand her the 9mm and keep the .40. No big deal. But here’s the rub!

Suppose we are attacked by a platoon level ISIS group (not very likely)! Or a bunch of zombies from Baltimore (more likely)! In this scenario, we would need to reload at some point. And that’s the dilemma! A 9mm Glock mag feels just like a .40 Glock mag! Not good! 9mm doesn’t do very well in .40 and .40 in a 9mm just plane doesn’t work. So what to do?

The ideal solution is to standardize one caliber, but we don’t have HQL’s. Mostly because the Wifey refuses to be “fingerprinted like a common criminal” and I’m broke, thanks to the “home renovation from hell” (long story). So buying something else is a non-starter.

The “at hand solution” is to convert the G22C to 9mm with a Lone Wolf conversion barrel (sorry Lou, I know you said not to do this). I have one and have run over 100 rounds through it with no malfunctions.

My question is, would you trust the converted handgun for self-defense?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I wouldn't. But that's me. (here goes another home defense thread :) )

You'll most likely be in your bedroom. Your threats will be at the door, coming through that Fatal Funnel. You won't need all that ammo you think you'll need. Plus, can you fire those rounds, do a reload all by the time someone runs from the door to the bed? Not likely.
    think both of you with different calibers will be just fine. People don't toss their partners fresh mags in real life :)

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Honestly I agree with Blaster. You'll likely never need the 30+ rounds you have combined just in the loaded mags.

If you really must worry about it though, rather than do a caliber conversion why not just add different base plates to the mags of one caliber? That'd give them a different "feel". Or you could add extension base plates to one caliber and gain even greater capacity.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Run the snot out of the conversion kit at the range. Use a couple of boxes of your defense ammunition. If it runs consistently, and faithfully, I'd trust it. That's just me though. I trust both of my glocks, but Murphy's law is always there. Practice malfunction drills with snap caps at home.

As for ammo, id keep at least one spare mag for a reload. Better to have it and not need it than, well you know...

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If you're wiĺling to make the jump up, i could sell/trade you a complete Gen 3 40 slide for the G17. We would also need to swap ejectors and such.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    The LEAST expensive method would be to change the base plates on one of the calibers. This is less than $7 per magazine...and would uniquely stand out ass different from the other.Just MHO...FWIW :-)

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Any such SD is not going to look like a scene from "Lethal Weapon 12". So, the mag dumps and swaps are probably not going to be a foreseeable issue.

Mag confusion in the dark can be an issue. As has been suggested... Different base plates on one pistol will take care of that issue very well.

http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK
    image.jpeg

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    You can convert your 22 to a 17, a true 17, by getting an entire g17 upper and then just changing out the ejector on the frame. It's more expensive than a conversion barrel, but doesn't require an HQL.

Another idea is to get a holster/mag pouch combo, like an Incog. When you pass over the 17 in its holster, there's a spare mag attached to the holster in the mag caddy. Then you know the spare with each gun is for the correct gun.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'd just keep and continue to train with what you have.

Another option, put her gun and mags in a sling bag/holster, so she can grab and go. You won't get your stuff mixed up, and in a real emergency, you don't have to be trying to get her a gun when you should be focusing on your own.

Her "night bag", might want to include a flashlight, knife, Israeli bandage. I like lights on guns for home.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I dont think I would use a conversion kit of any kind. Would it not (at least in this state) give fodder to the DA that you, the shooter, had a highly modified weapon to make killing someone easier. Just like the reload vs factory ammo and trigger mods discussions for HD. Notice how I said shooter and not victim. If you use it even in self defense, you will be the shooter until the dust settles. I am not trying to start a crap storm here, just some food for thought.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I have run a 9mm lone wolf conversion barrel with hundreds of round through it both suppressed and loud with no problems of any kinds. Lots of different ammo. I know people are always concerned about the potential reliability issue, but I have had no problems in about 500 rds. No cleaning. Just a little lube. Suppressor makes it dirty too.

Baseplate option is a good one as is separating out the guns into separate holsters.

Or maybe mount her gun to the back of the headboard if you have one on her side so she has it. Maybe she will wake up before you. Who knows.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    Get a piece of skateboard tape and tape it to the bottom of 1 set of mags. You will be able to tell the difference by feel.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    Or keep a standard mag for her and a 33 rounder for the G17. If whatever going on was so bad that you had to reload, then a 33'er would be my next choice.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    If you're in a fight with that many threats, you should be reaching for your rifle, not extra handgun mags.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You can convert your 22 to a 17, a true 17, by getting an entire g17 upper and then just changing out the ejector on the frame. It's more expensive than a conversion barrel, but doesn't require an HQL.

This

Dont use a conversion kit. No matter what people claim, they are not reliable.

No, No, No!

Buy a new silde assembly and ejector and convert the G22 to a 17.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I dont think I would use a conversion kit of any kind. Would it not (at least in this state) give fodder to the DA that you, the shooter, had a highly modified weapon to make killing someone easier. Just like the reload vs factory ammo and trigger mods discussions for HD. Notice how I said shooter and not victim. If you use it even in self defense, you will be the shooter until the dust settles. I am not trying to start a crap storm here, just some food for thought.
    None of the issues presented above will turn a good shoot into a bad shoot. Reloads only negatively impact your defense if your defense relies on distance. Without enough of your ammo for ballistics techs to work with, they can't reliably reproduce distance. Commercial ammo is made in lots to specs and is easy for ballistics techs to get ahold of enough to reproduce distance.

The trigger mods are a non-issue with the only court case cited being a questionable shoot where a guy got into road rage, went home to get his gun, then came back out and shot someone. In his defense, he claimed the gun accidentally went off. The only trigger concerns are liability. If you do work, you're liable if there is an accident. If a gunsmith does the work, they share liability.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That will make tactical reloads go smooth as butter.

Blaster will back me up on this.

Of course. It prevents that half empty mag from slipping between your middle and pointer finger whilst you gingerly place it into your spare pocket for when you need it later. :D

* Note to self. remember to sew a half empty mag pocket on my underoos*

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom