• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    So. Since these still seem to be legal in the PRM, I'm wondering about building my own 1911 just because.

Stealth Arms 80% 1911 Lower Receivers are available at under $200, even with a jig kit (Sportsman's Guide), which is mighty tempting. No idea how the Stealth Arms stuff is though, anybody have any experience/info?

This is in the "if I get a big bonus at work or hit a Lotto payday" category, but it's fun to daydream about...

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Exactly why I would do it - just another "F U" to certain people.

And if you have a spare $350 to add in, I see that Stealth Arms has a milling tool that will let you finish a 1911 frame with no machine tools - a power drill and that's it!

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    So. Since these still seem to be legal in the PRM, I'm wondering about building my own 1911 just because.

Stealth Arms 80% 1911 Lower Receivers are available at under $200, even with a jig kit (Sportsman's Guide), which is mighty tempting. No idea how the Stealth Arms stuff is though, anybody have any experience/info?

This is in the "if I get a big bonus at work or hit a Lotto payday" category, but it's fun to daydream about...

Saw that too. Let me know how you make out. I've done several 80% ar lowers so I really think I might be interested. but I have a few 45 all ready.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Exactly why I would do it - just another "F U" to certain people.

And if you have a spare $350 to add in, I see that Stealth Arms has a milling tool that will let you finish a 1911 frame with no machine tools - a power drill and that's it!

I'd be seriously interested in this is someone has a source for compatible frames and parts kits.

Matt

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    Stealth Arms 80% 1911 Lower Receivers are available at under $200, even with a jig kit (Sportsman's Guide), which is mighty tempting. No idea how the Stealth Arms stuff is though, anybody have any experience/info? ...

Just be aware that their frames are billet aluminum. It's a 7000 series aluminum, so it's significantly stronger than 6061, but they don't say exactly which grade, and some of the 7000 series corrode, especially milled billet.

There's a similar product at Tactical Machining that's an investment cast 4140 ordinance grade steel, which is roughly twice as strong as 7075. The big thing is it has half the thermal expansion, so the steel will stay closer to size as it heats up.

Steel slide rails vs. Aluminum slide rails.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Just be aware that their frames are billet aluminum. It's a 7000 series aluminum, so it's significantly stronger than 6061, but they don't say exactly which grade, and some of the 7000 series corrode, especially milled billet.

That's very misleading/wrong. All aluminum oxidizes (not corrodes) when exposed to air and this oxide layer forms a protective coating. Anodizing is an electrochemical process to purposefully speed up this oxide growth process and give aluminum a nice thick and hard anodization (oxide) layer. The oxide layer itself is harder than steel, but only ~.003" thick which is why with a heavy enough hit you can break through the oxide layer and scratch an anodized surface.

Also, Browning's design for the 1911 calls for a nominal clearance of .007" between the frame rails and slide. Pistols don't get hot enough to cause the slide rails to expand .007" more than the steel slide and cause binding, you would burn your hands way before that happened.

To anyone who is considering a 1911 80% build, it is not as easy as an AR15 or AR10 build. Manufacturers do not have a lot of standardized dimensions, so pretty much ever part will require some hand fitting. If you are into hobby machining, by all means don't let me stop you, but if all you have is a drill press and hand file you will have a bad time.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    IMO Id go for a tactical machining one. I've been itching to start another DIY gun project and been researching 80% 1911s. And so far the tactical machining one seems like a good quality piece

Here are some links ive been looking at for tools/ how-to's etc. Ive watched a few youtube videos but a lot of them do some silly things.

Tools to complete it using a Drill Press: ( I know not a good idea to use a drill press in place of a end mill. But nonetheless, here are the tools) http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com...Path=8&zenid=282cc0f434c5b0cdccc9d63624a2b487

Tools if using an end mill: http://www.evergladesammo.com/gunsmithing.html

and a how-to guide ive been reading through: http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/breech_of_the_piece.html

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    IMO Id go for a tactical machining one. I've been itching to start another DIY gun project and been researching 80% 1911s. And so far the tactical machining one seems like a good quality piece

Here are some links ive been looking at for tools/ how-to's etc. Ive watched a few youtube videos but a lot of them do some silly things.

Tools to complete it using a Drill Press: ( I know not a good idea to use a drill press in place of a end mill. But nonetheless, here are the tools) http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com...Path=8&zenid=282cc0f434c5b0cdccc9d63624a2b487

Tools if using an end mill: http://www.evergladesammo.com/gunsmithing.html

and a how-to guide ive been reading through: http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/breech_of_the_piece.html

1 gun at a time :D

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Ordered the phantom jig and a frame last week from Stealth Arms. The owner called me and said that they will be making the parts for the frame and slide soon, and will have them up on the web site when they are ready.

When I contacted Tactical Machining a few weeks ago, they said it would be awhile before they had 80% frames in stock again. They also said that they will be looking to do stainless frames later this year.

ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys
    Isn't there someone one here who had a mill and was allowing people to us it for the AR 80% lowers. I wonder if enough of us got these if they would be interested in having a day where we all went there for a fee we could use his mill. Just a thought to throw out there.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Isn't there someone one here who had a mill and was allowing people to us it for the AR 80% lowers. I wonder if enough of us got these if they would be interested in having a day where we all went there for a fee we could use his mill. Just a thought to throw out there.

The ATF ruled that was illegal. No one can make money from lending tools to finish a 80% frame.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Ordered the phantom jig and a frame last week from Stealth Arms. The owner called me and said that they will be making the parts for the frame and slide soon, and will have them up on the web site when they are ready.

When I contacted Tactical Machining a few weeks ago, they said it would be awhile before they had 80% frames in stock again. They also said that they will be looking to do stainless frames later this year.

I've been looking at that jig for awhile now... care to let us know how it works for you when you get it in?

Also curious to know if it would work with one of Tactical Machining's 80% lowers?

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I've been looking at that jig for awhile now... care to let us know how it works for you when you get it in?

Also curious to know if it would work with one of Tactical Machining's 80% lowers?

Shall do. It will be awhile, as I ordered some other things at the same time and told them to hold off on shipping until they had it all together.

I don't think the jig cutting tool will work the same on the TM Frames, as they are made of steel instead of aluminum, like the SA frames.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    For you guys wondering about finishing the 1911 without a mill check out the new thread I just posted. I talked with stealth arms and they have this new jig that you basically need only a drill and a vise.... plus they are going to give us a promo code.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=170353

That's the one we were talking about above. Still waiting for mine to arrive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom