• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I was teaching my fiance how to operate the 870 with snap caps. Needless to say after loading, chambering, "shooting", and ejecting the dummy rounds (I only have 2) 2 times, the ejector broke and locked the action open. I took it the gunsmith and dropped it off. He said they would have to grind rivets out and install new ones..but my blueing will get ground off at rivets and he can either cold blue or re blue my gun. But then I just read about a tool from brownells that one can use to remove rivet heads, remove and replace extractor and stake it in place..no grinding or damage to blueing. Anyone done this before?

Last edited:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Either get a Mossberg or deal with it. Either you can keep replacing ejectors and rebluing which is an expensive process. Or buy a Mossberg and when that ejector fails. Use a flathead screwdriver.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Thanks fellas...I had been pondering on getting a 590A1...after this I KNOW I will buy one. I like the 870...it was a gift from my uncle 25yrs ago. But now I have doubt about using it for HD...

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Thanks fellas...I had been pondering on getting a 590A1...after this I KNOW I will buy one. I like the 870...it was a gift from my uncle 25yrs ago. But now I have doubt about using it for HD...

So, the extractor broke after 25 years of use of the gun?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    25 years of ownership...not use. It has had at MOST 300 rounds fired thru it...all 2 3/4. 90% which were low brass Target/skeet factory loads. It has been in my gunsafe for the past 10 or so years. I'm a Remington guy...have been for years.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    25 years of ownership...not use. It has had at MOST 300 rounds fired thru it...all 2 3/4. 90% which were low brass Target/skeet factory loads. It has been in my gunsafe for the past 10 or so years. I'm a Remington guy...have been for years.

Age weakened it. Here's what I would do. Have your gunsmith replace the rivet. Then take it still unfinished for a Cerakote job. To match bluing and trouble free maintenance. Also ask about micro slicking the action. Tell Bobby and Brandy Jose sent you.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Age weakened it. Here's what I would do. Have your gunsmith replace the rivet. Then take it still unfinished for a Cerakote job. To match bluing and trouble free maintenance. Also ask about micro slicking the action. Tell Bobby and Brandy Jose sent you.

The OP could spend the Mossberg money on tacti-cooling his 870 by Wilson Combat too. I guess.

;)

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Man I guess after all the 870's I've fired have yet to fail I should just dump it and get a Mossberg. You know after all all these 870's on the streets are time bombs and worst then hi points. The Mossbergs will never break and there must not be any documented failures of any type ever. Impressive.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Man I guess after all the 870's I've fired have yet to fail I should just dump it and get a Mossberg. You know after all all these 870's on the streets are time bombs and worst then hi points. The Mossbergs will never break and there must not be any documented failures of any type ever. Impressive.

I agree, Mossbergs are impressive ;)

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I would get the tool from Brownells.(and the extractor while you are ordering) It is not rocket science anyone handy with tools can do it. This is the one main disadvantage of the 870 IMO because I like to be able to deal with things not that this would stop me.(Of course I have been working metal since I was 14.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Seems to me you can just buy the $40 tool, chuck it in a drill and get the spring out and put a new one in, then re-peen the existing rivets.

Of course, you can pay someone else to do this work and wait the backlog of the repairman but an 870 isn't exactly a Mercedes, and I think anyone who isn't afraid of tools can give it a go.

You should probably "run away" really fast from the guy who wants to drill out the rivets and re-blue your gun if that's his first option. At least attempt the "re-peen" first.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I am ordering the tool and going to attempt the job myself first. I have experience with tools so I'm not afraid to try. Who/where does the cerakote? Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Bollingers Gunsmithing and Sales. And repeening rivets changes their strength and fatigues them. So a gunsmith recommends replacing them just like a mechanic recommends changing your oil not just your filter and adding oil. It's in the event of future failures.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    jack.gif

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Im not into tactic-cooling anything. I want to keep everything functional and simple. Only things I planned on doing to the 870 was an 18.5" barrel and extended magazine. Keeping factory wood stock. Maybe a light mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom