• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I had my extractor break on my 1974 Remington 1100. I went on youtube and saw how to replace the extractor. I went to Brownells and bought the $5.00 extractor, the pin and spring. When the parts arrived, it took me about 15 minutes to replace it, because I had never done it before. It would probably take less than 5 minutes now.

I'm glad that I had ordered the new pin with the extractor, because my old one is orbiting the earth somewhere. It popped out when I removed the old extractor and was never again seen. It was pretty easy to do. You will probably need some needle nose pliers.

Good luck!

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Im not into tactic-cooling anything. I want to keep everything functional and simple. Only things I planned on doing to the 870 was an 18.5" barrel and extended magazine. Keeping factory wood stock. Maybe a light mount.

Sounds like it's going to be a sweet looking shotgun. Looking forward to the pictures you'll, hopefully, post when she's done.

:thumbsup:

I'd imagine she'll look something like this. Pic taken off the web.

3688054644_1b69c8c0aa_b.jpg

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    tball I have ordered the tool. Upon further examination I have realized/discovered that only the ejector spring broke..not the ejector. After removing the rest of the spring( so I could operate action because it was locked open) I put two snap caps in it and it ejected them just fine. I guess "spent" casings may be a different story. RaVis that is what it will look like...except my forend doesn't have the linear grooves. I ordered a 18.5" barrel with night sights and when it arrived the sights were canted and the bore was so dirty and rough looking that it appeared to have been shot A LOT. It was suppose to be new...I sent it back for a full refund. My gunsmith happens to have one with rifle sights (sans night inserts) that I'm buying. Thanks for all of the replies and help everyone.

Jul 20, 2009
    cut it off. You dont really need it. the inertia from working the forend to the rear will kick the round out. I have done that with at least 4 870s and they continue to work. I learned that trick from an armorer that has been in the field for more then 40 years.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    cut it off. You dont really need it. the inertia from working the forend to the rear will kick the round out. I have done that with at least 4 870s and they continue to work. I learned that trick from an armorer that has been in the field for more then 40 years.

I don't think I'd trust an HD gun that didn't have an extractor. Too many ways to go wrong. YMMV.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I would get the tool from Brownells.(and the extractor while you are ordering) It is not rocket science anyone handy with tools can do it. This is the one main disadvantage of the 870 IMO because I like to be able to deal with things not that this would stop me.(Of course I have been working metal since I was 14.

What is this tool you all speak of? I have had my 870 completely disassembled several times without any special tools. My 870 is probably over 40 years old though, so it might be made different than the newer ones.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    The ejector is still in the gun...just the ejector spring broke. The tool we are talking about from brownells is for removing and replacing the ejector without having to grind the rivets off.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I was able to remove the extractor on my 1100 with a pair of needle nose pliers. The pin and spring were underneath it putting the tension on the extractor is what held it in place. I just pulled down then pulled it out. Mine was made in 1974. Youtube demonstrated how to do it. I cheated a little bit. I didn't break mine down to remove the extractor.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Tball I believe you are talking about the extractor which hooks the rim of the cartridge to pull it out of the chamber. I am talking about the ejector spring...flat spring and plate which are riveted to receiver. It ejects the cartridge out of the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom