• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    Before you buy Tech sights, look at the NDS26 rear sight at Nodak Spud.
    It has a rail combined with the sight.
    The Tech sight alone uses 2 of the mounting holes so there is no room for a rail.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I almost bought a integral suppress gun at the last gun show in timonium. I was shocked at the 9 month wait for the suppressor so I left it.

Wait has been more like 4 - 5 months recently. At least with a trust (no CLEO signoff).

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    The oddball...WallyWorld edition with ss barrel and black receiver

I can live with the trigger for now. I think the mag release and bolt release are up first. It's a shame Ruger hasn't done something about those parts that most people replace, they're losing out on some money by not offering a version with all the goodies attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20141201_163033050.jpg
      IMG_20141201_163033050.jpg
      35.5 KB · Views: 557

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    For the bolt release, you can modify it yourself at $0 cost. Look on Youtube and you'll find a bunch of videos showing how to do it. Essentially, the stock bolt release has a heart-shaped hole the forces a two-handed operation to let the bolt move forward. To remedy the issue, you use either small files or a dremel tool to grind off the point and make it triangular.

As noted, above, the disassembly process will give you a good sense of how the rifle operates and all the parts interact.

JoeR
    It is NOT a two handed operation, and if you guys are using two hands, no wonder you're having problems with it.

Move the right hand forward of the firing position and hook the thumb over the bolt handle. Pull the bolt rearward with the right thumb, release the bolt stop with the right index finger by pushing upward, then just release the bolt. Reverse process to lock open. SO easy when done correctly.

The bolt stop is designed to not release the bolt when the rifle is bumped (like an AR-15) or if an inexperienced user plays with the rifle. This feature makes the rifle safer to keep handy, such as with a loaded magazine in it or nearby. With the AR-15, for example, keeping a loaded mag in place with the bolt open is an invitation to the rifle loading itself first time you get a hard bump. The 10/22 will not do this as designed.

The mod suggested by Joe above works fine and is probably better than wasting money on an aftermarket unit that has had the same thing done to it. It is easy to do and popular, but it is a lot less necessary when the bolt stop operation is approached with a little thought.

The magazine release is indeed a pain in the neck, especially on some guns with minimum stock clearance (which can be fixed). I went to a paddle style release on a couple of my guns and am not delighted. I've gone back and replaced them with the OEM style and decided to be happy with the occasional minor difficult in removing mags. By the aftermarket paddle projecting out as far as it does (1/2"), it is quite easy to operate. So easy, in fact, that I've lost several magazines by inadvertently bumping the release during carry. The mag catch unlatches, but the magazine only moves far enough to disengage and it hangs there unsecured. At some point, it will fall free. Sometimes I notice it dropping out, a few times I have not and ended up losing another mag. This is not a problem if one never carries the rifle afield, but in retrospect, I'd have left them alone and saved the cost of the device and a couple mags.

I haven't tried the newer Ruger brand extended mag, but had used a bunch of aftermarket mags (Mitchell 50, Butler Creek Steel Lips, Eaton) and always go back to the OEM mags for smooth operation and 100% function. Even when the big mags do function 100%, they still hang down like some ridiculous black banana. Like a 30 round duckbill under an SKS, LOL. For practical use, I'd rather have a few extra OEM 10 shot mags handy than these 25+ round magazines.

I do like the Volquartsen Target Hammer Kit for a fast and easy major improvement, although the trigger can be VERY much improved by adding more cash.

It's almost harder to stop with the mods than it is to start. My own list of priorities would depend on how the rifle is to be used, but my first step would always be to fix that awful trigger pull.
    .....It's a shame Ruger hasn't done something about those parts that most people replace, they're losing out on some money by not offering a version with all the goodies attached.
    I'd agree, but we were building target grade 10/22s with aftermarket parts for 10 years before Ruger unveiled their breakthrough invention of the Target Model 10/22. The mag release and bolt stop are actually very low priority items and designed the way they are for good reason, so I doubt we'd ever see Ruger do anything to make these operate differently, especially the safety-related bolt stop system.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    E.R. Shaw stainless steel bull barrel, Timney trigger, Fajen stock and Sweet 22 scope. The trigger was the most significant mod. The damn Ruger trigger was about as smooth as pea gravel on a washboard. With this setup, from the bench I can shoot 3/16" groups at 50 yards using Norma Tac-22 ammo. When reaching out to 100 yards, Eley Target is the top performer at 7/16" groups.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    It is NOT a two handed operation, and if you guys are using two hands, no wonder you're having problems with it.

Move the right hand forward of the firing position and hook the thumb over the bolt handle. Pull the bolt rearward with the right thumb, release the bolt stop with the right index finger by pushing upward, then just release the bolt. Reverse process to lock open. SO easy when done correctly.

The bolt stop is designed to not release the bolt when the rifle is bumped (like an AR-15) or if an inexperienced user plays with the rifle. This feature makes the rifle safer to keep handy, such as with a loaded magazine in it or nearby. With the AR-15, for example, keeping a loaded mag in place with the bolt open is an invitation to the rifle loading itself first time you get a hard bump. The 10/22 will not do this as designed.

The mod suggested by Joe above works fine and is probably better than wasting money on an aftermarket unit that has had the same thing done to it. It is easy to do and popular, but it is a lot less necessary when the bolt stop operation is approached with a little thought.

The magazine release is indeed a pain in the neck, especially on some guns with minimum stock clearance (which can be fixed). I went to a paddle style release on a couple of my guns and am not delighted. I've gone back and replaced them with the OEM style and decided to be happy with the occasional minor difficult in removing mags. By the aftermarket paddle projecting out as far as it does (1/2"), it is quite easy to operate. So easy, in fact, that I've lost several magazines by inadvertently bumping the release during carry. The mag catch unlatches, but the magazine only moves far enough to disengage and it hangs there unsecured. At some point, it will fall free. Sometimes I notice it dropping out, a few times I have not and ended up losing another mag. This is not a problem if one never carries the rifle afield, but in retrospect, I'd have left them alone and saved the cost of the device and a couple mags.

I haven't tried the newer Ruger brand extended mag, but had used a bunch of aftermarket mags (Mitchell 50, Butler Creek Steel Lips, Eaton) and always go back to the OEM mags for smooth operation and 100% function. Even when the big mags do function 100%, they still hang down like some ridiculous black banana. Like a 30 round duckbill under an SKS, LOL. For practical use, I'd rather have a few extra OEM 10 shot mags handy than these 25+ round magazines.

I do like the Volquartsen Target Hammer Kit for a fast and easy major improvement, although the trigger can be VERY much improved by adding more cash.

It's almost harder to stop with the mods than it is to start. My own list of priorities would depend on how the rifle is to be used, but my first step would always be to fix that awful trigger pull.I'd agree, but we were building target grade 10/22s with aftermarket parts for 10 years before Ruger unveiled their breakthrough invention of the Target Model 10/22. The mag release and bolt stop are actually very low priority items and designed the way they are for good reason, so I doubt we'd ever see Ruger do anything to make these operate differently, especially the safety-related bolt stop system.

My second time playing with the gun I figured out the one handed operation. I'm not sure about other rifles but my bolt stop has to be pressed in exactly the right place for it to release. I think I'm going to leave it stock for now and see what needs to be done down the road. I really detest the fact that I can't hint with this in PA so it may end up as a target build, who knows.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Well, my B-day Gift Certificate just got spent on some goodies for my 10-22 Takedown- a Volquartsen auto-bolt release, an A2 style flash hider and an aluminum barrel band w/sling attach point and two small rails. I want to make sure that I keep all the stock parts I replace unmodified just in case I ever decide to sell the thing. I'll probably do a little jewelers rouge trigger polishing when I replace the bolt release but am doing my best to keep it stock except for the parts I felt had to go back in the box. That cheapo plastic barrel band with the pointy screw piece sticking out underneath seemed like the first thing that needed replacing besides the finicky bolt release. Even with these mods, I'm still less than 4 bills into the rifle besides several BX25s.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    That's an awesome price. I also got the 50th model a few weeks ago for my Son. I haven't done any mods but the rear optic sight did fall off during fire. Just a simple tighten of the screw corrected the problem.

I plan on keeping the sites on it until my Son learns the fundamentals then I will get a scope. Definitely, there are so many different things you can do to this rifle.

Both us fired the rifle last week and we had a blast. All I had to do was grease the bolt and no issues. I think the first mod I will do is follow the posted youtube on how to mod the bolt auto feature.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The mods I see most often on 10/22s are:

• Aftermarket barrels
    • Aftermarket stocks
    • Scopes/sights
    • Triggers
    • Extended magazines

There are dozens of options available for each. Do your research and choose wisely. :)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    And some can be done for no cost - aside from 20 minutes of your own time.

Like the bolt release mod for example.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Timney trigger, VQ Ultralite CF barrel w/forward blow comp, VQ competition bolt, Magnum Research GR stock, and C-More red dot w/Allchin mount. 3 lbs 4 oz and if I can't shoot fast with it I don't belong in the game.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    What a fun afternoon project! I got all the parts installed and even did a trigger job(my first) on my 10-22td based on watching several youtube videos on the process. I made sure to go very slow removing material from the sear and hammer lockup areas with my bench grinder, smoothed it all down with a tiny diamond file & hard Arkansas stone and then polished all the contact areas including the hammer main spring guide ball end. Trigger pull went from just shy of 7#6oz to just shy of 3#7oz based on an average of measurements with my digital scale.

Basically, when you pull the trigger, it feels like a 2-stage trigger except the 1st stage is just the tiny trigger movement which pushes against the trigger return spring until it gets to the break, then releases very crisply. I didn't change the lockup angle hardly at all(besides removing the tiny pointy tip spur) and it is very neutral with no perceptible hammer movement at all until break. The hammer and sear lockup is kinda like yin-n-yang opposite right angles with no gaps and about 35%-40% of the overlap it used to have although the overall "fit" is now more precise with closer tolerances.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I did:
    Tactical Solutions fluted aluminum barrel
    TacSol extended mag release
    Fajen silhouette stock
    DIY trigger. The attached sketch dropped the trigger pull in half.:party29:
    poly bolt buffer

Attachments

• scott_s_10-22.jpg
      scott_s_10-22.jpg
      36.6 KB · Views: 345
    • 10_22_match_hammer_sketch.jpg
      10_22_match_hammer_sketch.jpg
      30.9 KB · Views: 349

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Randy at CPC did the work on my 10/22.
    http://www.ct-precision.com

Trigger, bolt, barrel, bolt hold-open... the whole enchilada.
    Awesome work, and the result was a rifle that will group @ .219 (average) or better @ 50 yards.

I have multiple targets to prove it.

Attachments

• 10-22.jpg
      10-22.jpg
      64.4 KB · Views: 282

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981