• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BH8911

Jan 27, 2015
    Ruger 1022 t.jpg

asdaven

Oct 30, 2013
    Maryland
    There are millions of mods you can do to the 10/22, I modded everything internal cause its all cheap modifications. I did do some cosmetic stuff like a new stock, but I couldn't stand the cheap synthetic BB gun stock that came with it from Ruger.

First off, id either recommend buying a upgraded barrel OR have the chamber setback on the factory barrel for a tighter chamber and maybe recrown with a target crown. That is the secret of 75-80% of the accuracy gain, gained by aftermarket "target" barrels. IMO, .22 LR dosen't make the barrel vibrate enough to justify a Bull Barrel, but some people like the look of them.

I recommend Que for bolt and barrel work. I have heard CPC or CNC is good too, which was recommend earlier but they're more expensive. Get your bolt done while your at it, it ll make it smoother running, more reliable, and they reduce headspace which will reduced fliers.

For the trigger, you could get a trigger job done by Brimstone Gunsmithing. For drop in parts on a budget, I would do either Brimstone's trigger job or I would get the Power Customs Trigger set with hammer AND sear. I did the Volquartson Target Hammer and it helped some, but I ended up needing their sear for best results. If you want to spend big bucks on a trigger, Kidd Two-stage is the obvious choice and it replaces the entire trigger pack rather than changing out trigger group parts within.

Other parts I swapped out:

Volquartson Bolt Tune-up Kit (Firing pin and Extractor upgrade) Highly recommend at least the extractor.

Kidd Guide Rod (much smoother than stock)

Kidd Magazine Plunger (holds magazines in rifle better, less chance feeding angle is affected by movement of the magazine)

Gunsmither Barrel Block (Flat block that replaces V-Blocks and eliminates barrel droop)

Volquartson Bolt Release/Hold Open (allows you to rack the action after you hold it open rather than the complicated process with the factory one) You can also mod your stock one with a dremel.

Flatline Ops Buffer (!Very Important! Ruger gives you a steel pin for a buffer, it will rout out the hole of your aluminum reciever, replace it with a poly one or this case a poly buffer with a smaller steel pin through the center)

All these mods are very cheap except a new barrel or stock. Then of course theres how you outfit the rifle. You can invest in extended mag releases or charging handles. Then theyres sights or scopes , magazines, etc. Note- if you want iron sights, its difficult to do so with the aftermarket barrels out there. Thats why I just had my stock barrel modified after good reports of people with factory barrels they had modified. You can't shoot stingers though with the tighter chamber. Plus, you compromise some reliability, but as long as you keep her clean and upgrade the extractor....mine runs fine.

I recommend BX-25s for mags although I did have a problem with a few on feeding. And the problem is the play in between the follower and the spring that wraps around it. What you do to remedy the issue is take the mag apart with the appropriate size allen wrench, take a .22 LR casing and cut it down to about .22 Short length then just slip it in there. The Spring is a leaf spring that rolls on the peg of the follower rather than the typical coil springs we have in say an AR magazine. Instead of compressing the spring, the spring unravels when the magazine is "compressed". That play in between the follower peg and the spring assembly allows a lapse in spring tension, causing rounds to nose-dive into the magazine occasionally when the bolt tries to feed them. The .22 casing acts as a smooth metal sleeve that takes up some of the play and usually does the trick as well as a bearing because it rolls with the spring and follower. For best results, smooth out the cut and put a drop of oil on it. I still highly recommend BX-25 mags, but with this extremely simple mod. For maximum reliability though, the BX-1 10 Rounders are best. But, for 10/22 banana clips, BX-25 is superior to anything else. If anybody has BX-25 mags acting up, give this mod a try. Its probably the problem with your mag.

And for lubrication of the 10/22, DON'T use oil or grease except maybe on your trigger mating surfaces. It will gum up. Get a can of Remington Dri-Lube or Hoppes Dry Lubricant. Puts a white teflon dry coating on everything and dosen't pickup carbon from the blowback action.

I learned all this from the forum at Rimfire Central when I built mine.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    Obviously a new trigger is one of the best and if you are brave you could dot it your self just by simply buying a competition hammer. Then a large bolt handle, mag release, and poly bolt buffer are probably some of the best upgrades out there.

here is everything I did to my 10/22 lots of pics!

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=147477

Last edited:

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    I turned a Douglas XX barrel blank to a 1" OD and threaded the shank to 3/4" UNF and chambered it with a .22 Bentz reamer, then threaded the receiver 3/4"UNF (the barrel hole in the receiver is 11/16" the correct size for a 3/4"UNF class two fit).

I put a lug on the back of the receiver for a two point hold into the stock and glass bedded the action into the stock and milled a one inch groove into the forearm for the barrel channel.

I stoned the fire control group and added a set of Wolfe springs and added an overtravel stop setscrew. There was no commercial extended mag release so I made one, but did buy a improved bolt release.

Those were the mode I did circa 1992

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    KIDD Innovative Designs is really building a name for himself.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/

+1 for Kidd.

My "Special" 10/22 has all Kidd components. Kidd threaded barrel, Kidd extractor, Kidd firing pin, Kidd hammer and sear kit, Kidd rubber and steel buffer and a Kidd Bolt Handle with 3 springs. I am hand working my own bolt to accomplish what some have said can't be done. Having my 10/22 cycle CCI Quiet ammo.

I guess what I'm saying is, for the money Kidd is hard to beat. As for what I would suggest first for your rifle. A nice 16.25" bull barrel. Threaded if you ever were to think to throw a suppressor on it. After that, a nice trigger group with a 2.5 lb trigger. Headspace and square the bolt head along with a nice extractor.

After that, you're just customizing the rifle to suit a need or your likings.

Good Luck!

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    I have built several 10/22's. It is a bit of an obsession. They all have been different types for different reasons and uses. between them all there are only two things that remained the same. First: Auto bolt release mod(DIY). Second: extended charging handle. These are clearly my favorite mods.

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    Instead of buying a 10/22 and then proceeding to replace nearly EVERY SINGLE PART, isn't there just a better .22 LR semi-auto rifle that would be more expensive than a stock 10/22 but cheaper than the $1,000 you'll spend to replace nearly every single part and build a custom 10/22???

Scarab

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    Instead of buying a 10/22 and then proceeding to replace nearly EVERY SINGLE PART, isn't there just a better .22 LR semi-auto rifle that would be more expensive than a stock 10/22 but cheaper than the $1,000 you'll spend to replace nearly every single part and build a custom 10/22???

You don't need to replace every part in order to make a 10/22 a good shooter.
    Like an AR15, you do what your wallet can stand, and what you want yours to be when you are 'done'.

Go to RFC and pick an area.
    Personally, I like the 'SuperStock' rifles (scroll down to find them).
    'SuperStock' looks stock on the outside, but under the hood... hootchie mama! :)

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    The mods I like are: Volq. receiver with rail, Volq. trigger group, a short and threaded heavy barrel, a suppressor, a folding stock, and a red dot.

It works great like this for my needs though I know there are other modifications possible.

I guess the ultimate mod. would be a transferrable Norrell Trigger Pack. Don't have a spare $10,000 or so laying around unfortunately.

These are great guns! Like Legos for adults. (Same with ARs) Just plug and play!

Pocket Rifle:

Pocket%20Rifle%20Right%20Side.JPG

Pocket%20Rifle%20Open%20Stock.JPG

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I just did this....... compliments of ebay less than 10 bucks and 10 minutes. Magazine release and scope.... is anything else REALLY necessary outside of trigger work, scope and extended magazine? Just not a EBR fan I guess. :shrug: Wood is wonderful. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3429.JPG
      IMG_3429.JPG
      31.5 KB · Views: 207

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    A build I did for a client (guy with money - too lazy to build it himself) Meh.. Money is money. Started with stock 10/22. He kept wanting more and more crap added. Meh.. Money is money. End result? What I call some kinda God-awful zombie gun. $250 nice 10/22 turned into some kinda God-awful whatever. Cost $450 (parts and labor) Meh.. Money is money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom