• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Rather than just having a separate end cap, are there any cans with baffles meant for multiple calibers? Or would having separate 9mm baffles for a .45 can not make much/any difference in the level of suppression? Would it even be legal to do so? I'm in a similar situation as the OP so excuse me if this is an obvious answer.

Endcaps and mounts are OK. Otherwise spare suppressor parts are a big no no.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Rather than just having a separate end cap, are there any cans with baffles meant for multiple calibers? Or would having separate 9mm baffles for a .45 can not make much/any difference in the level of suppression? Would it even be legal to do so? I'm in a similar situation as the OP so excuse me if this is an obvious answer.

Suppressors have different end caps because the different manufacturers use different threads and different barrel sizes use different threads See http://blog.silencershop.com/common-barrel-thread-reference/ for examples.

The baffles are most efficient when sized for a particular caliber. When they are oversized (larger hole than necessary, the sound levels increase slightly (several dBs))

Most silencers have no user serviceable baffles. BATF tends to look at silencer parts such as the baffles and the external can as silencers. SIG and the BATF are arguing over the issue with their MPX firearm. Most people/companies shy away from making replaceable baffles for this reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom