• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I already kind of skimmed through the training section of the forum, and found the "initial" wear and carry course thread, but i have a question.

I currently have a carry permit because of my job, and and want to renew it. Do i have to take the 16 hour initial class for wear and carry permit, or can i just take the 8 hour class that is required for renewal of permit. I have not taken any classes before when i got my carry permit, but I did do the firearm safety requirements, the ten minute video, and also have a hunters safety permit. Also does anybody know of a place that offer the class in or around howard county?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    If you are renewing your carry permit, you are required to attend the 8 hour renewal class.

Was your initial permit issued as a personal concealed carry? If so, your COF will be 25 round.

If your permit was issued as one related to being a private investigator or an armed security guard, the COF is 50 rounds.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I already kind of skimmed through the training section of the forum, and found the "initial" wear and carry course thread, but i have a question.

I currently have a carry permit because of my job, and and want to renew it. Do i have to take the 16 hour initial class for wear and carry permit, or can i just take the 8 hour class that is required for renewal of permit. I have not taken any classes before when i got my carry permit, but I did do the firearm safety requirements, the ten minute video, and also have a hunters safety permit. Also does anybody know of a place that offer the class in or around howard county?

Do you have a restricted or non restricted carry permit or do you have an armed security permit? I only ask this since you said because of your job.

I think this would make a difference in your answer.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    If you are renewing your carry permit, you are required to attend the 8 hour renewal class.

Was your initial permit issued as a personal concealed carry? If so, your COF will be 25 round.

If your permit was issued as one related to being a private investigator or an armed security guard, the COF is 50 rounds.

recently confronted with a scenario where a guy was issued a Wear/ Carry as a security guard. he is letting that job go as he has started his own business where he qualifies for a Wear/Carry as an armed citizen. two different COF as Mike has outlined. question is, does he do the full monte 16 hour class as required by the state as an armed citizen or does the state recognize this as a "renewal"?

i suggested he do the 16 hour since he didn't have to attend the formal training a few years back for the security guard job. my thinking is he is getting the ABSOLUTE safety training necessary to be able to carry safely in public and there would be no kicking the application back due to the lack of the formal training, even though his COF would be the 25 round requirement.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    It comes down to wether MSP considers it a new applicant, a renewal applicant, or a subsequent applicant.

If he's never had the training 16 hours would not hurt him, nor would the more difficult course of fire.

I'll post MSP's policy within 24 hours.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I been a business owner for 10 years. I got my carry permit before all the CT school shooting, and all the talks of "gun bans" But I do need to renew bc i do carry money, and also its just safe to have as a business owner. I meet all the requirements except for the new training hours.

Yes, it probably would not hurt taking a 16 hour class, but seems like they are two day classes and i my busy days are the weekends, where these classes seem to be held. I think i could probably be good with the 8 hour course, but I been wrong many times before and could probably use the knowledge of the whole 16 hrs. I guess the best thing is to call them. But then how informed is the MSP on this matter.....

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    The Instructor of the class must be approved by MSP and would the only one to sign off on the certificate needed for the classroom part of your renewal. Check the IP section of the Forum for a class, some will give classes for one or two at other times then listed, just ask. Chris

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    License "renewal applications" only require the 8 hour class, regardless of wether or not you have ever taken the "original application" 16 hour course.

I know this because I am an instructor and I have participated in delivering the 8 hour course to several renewal applicants, including judges.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    It comes down to wether MSP considers it a new applicant, a renewal applicant, or a subsequent applicant.

If he's never had the training 16 hours would not hurt him, nor would the more difficult course of fire.

I'll post MSP's policy within 24 hours.

Here you go;

Original Handgun Permit - An applicant's first handgun permit. A permit issued as an ORIGINAL shall expire on the last day of the holder's birth month, following two years after its issuance.

Renewal Handgun Permit - An applicant whose handgun permit has been expired for 90 days or less is considered a renewal. A handgun permit that is renewed shall be valid for successive periods of three years. Expires on the last day of the holder's birth month.

Duplicate Handgun Permit - A replacement handgun permit that is issued to replace a damaged, lost, or stolen, permit.

Subsequent Handgun Permit
    A) An additional permit that follows another permit issued to the same applicant and is not an original, modified, or duplicate permit. For example, an applicant who holds a current and valid handgun permit and wants another permit for a reason unrelated to the first, would be issued a subsequent handgun permit.

B) An applicant whose permit has been expired for more than 90 days would, upon application, be issued a subsequent permit. The cost is the same as an original, and would be handled, for all intents and purposes, as an original.

NOTE: A subsequent handgun permit application where the applicant currently holds a valid handgun permit is processed as a renewal. A subsequent handgun permit application where the applicant does not currently hold a valid permit is processed as an original permit. Subsequent permits expire on the last day of the holder's birth month following two years after Issuance.

Source: MSP Policies & Procedures (undated)

SIU317

Nov 30, 2012
    Baltimore
    I just sent in my ccw renewal and forgot to include the paperwork from the 8hour course. MSP sent it back and I had to resubmit the application with the course paperwork, which is just a sheet of paper that has my score from the qual course and signature of the instructor. The course was terrible and there was absolutely nothing regarding concealed carry, legal issues, or anything remotely useful related to deadly force as a citizen taught in the class...but on the bright side, if you take the 8 hour course as a permit holder that satisfies the HQL training too. One other thing, I didn't need to get new livescan prints as part of the 8 hour course since I had the ccw permit already which saved some cash.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Id be curious if you would PM me where you got your training. I'd like to see if I could help them do better.

To fill in all the gaps you enumerated, I strongly recommend a MAG-20 or better, a MAG-40 course.

More than myself have stated that the course and lessons learned were life altering.

Feb 28, 2013
    Id be curious if you would PM me where you got your training. I'd like to see if I could help them do better.

To fill in all the gaps you enumerated, I strongly recommend a MAG-20 or better, a MAG-40 course.

More than myself have stated that the course and lessons learned were life altering.

How's about tellin' us about them courses, for those of us who've never heard of 'em?:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom