Considering dumping my bolt action for "something else"....suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Ok, so I have a rather pleasant Rem 700 SPS in .308 with Trijicon glass, great rifle, shoots great, almost boringly so. About all I get to do is shoot 100 yards every few months. I'm considering selling it and finding "something else"... the question is.. what?? I've always love lever action rifles in pistol calibers... but at this point, I'm pretty open! suggestions and pics very much appreciated...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Keep it, and make the drive to a range with more legs on it.

Thought about selling some rifles off, until I started making the drive to a 300 yard range on occasion - brought that joy back to the rifles.

Now the search for longer ranges...

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I literally just considered the same thing and went as far as posting mine for sale. Had a change of heart personally, something to be said for having the thump stick to break out when the mood hits me...which is exactly what I tell my wife oddly enough ;)

My vote is for keep it unless you have to sell it to fund something else. I know how this addiction can go! Best of luck either way.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Do as I say, not as I do. Don't sell a gun to get another unless you're pressed for cash. A pistol caliber lever gun is under $550 if you shop around. I picked up a Rossi 92 in .357 for under $500 OTD, BNIB. The first time I took it to the range, I let 3 boy scouts and their fathers try it out. All of them had a big grin on their faces.

Kolholznik

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 16, 2014
    I know exactly how you feel. I got hooked on metallic silhouette shooting about 20 years ago when I lived in WV. I had a Rem 700 PSS in .308 with a Burris 6X24 silhoutte scope mounted on it. It was an amazing rifle that could blow the tops off of bowling pins @ 400 meters from a Harris bi-pod on a benchrest. It shot so well, it required very little effort on my part.

I've decided I'm going to try an AR-15 again. Several reasons for my decision. I was issued an M-16A1 in the Army and always could qualify as Expert with it. All my (shooting) friends now have them and they are a lot of fun to shoot. With all the customizing options available, the sky's the limit as far as making one truly your own/unique. Plus, some of the new optics make it possible for an AR to shoot as well as some bolt-action hunting rifles.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Never, ever sell your guns. I went through this, for me it was justified to pay a divorce lawyer. I have to say it was money well spent but to get back those same rifles has cost me a lot of money and a few years of searching. As soon as you sell off a gun, you will start regretting it, even the cheapest simiplest gun. Kind of like having a dog die on you. It might not have been much of a dog but when gone you sure are going to miss him. For me, whenever I hold a gun that I have had for a long time, it brings back lots of fond memories. That special hunt, spending time at the range with friends, teaching my Daughters how to shoot, watching them bust their first clays..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ramble #1 - I'm one of the hold onto guns kind of people. Some of my friends buy/ sell/ trade about as often as I get new socks , and it works for them.

Answer #2 - Pistol cal ( or small rifle cals that later became used in pistols) lever qctions are the Bee's Knees. You should have (at least) one. Depending on cal , and your loading them up and/or down can be anything from a zero recoil plinker/ trainer to a legit hunting tool.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Get a levergun for sure! They are a real blast and you will never regret it. As far as selling goes....I would hold onto your current rifle 'cause you never know when you might get the chance at a longer range.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Definitely keep your current rifle.

There are plenty of opportunities to shoot both your bolt gun AND your new Garand at longer ranges.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Contact MDS member and team sniper, E.Shell and go take one of his classes down in Virginia.

100 yds ain't chit. Try shooting at 500 and 600 yd range targets before you sell that long hammer.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Contact MDS member and team sniper, E.Shell and go take one of his classes down in Virginia.

100 yds ain't chit. Try shooting at 500 and 600 yd range targets before you sell that long hammer.

Well said. I took his three day class and it was outstanding. Hearing the metal ring at >1000yds was pretty sweet. :)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Keep your rifle and buy an antique Dutch Beaumont rifle in 11x52r caliber.

It'll be a juxtapositional- ying and yang-old vs. new thing.

And you will have the additional joy and satisfaction of making your own cartridges from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom